my door is not playing nice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am restoring my doors on my 67 fj40 and have run into a problem removing the outer skin. I don't see how the skins will separate mainly because I don't see a seam across the top of the door that will allow for the skins for separation, and secondly because I tested my BFH to get the skins to budge without any luck :mad: . Am I mistaken, do my door skins not separate? if they will separate are there any tricks I can try? thanks for any advice

It wouldn't suprise me if they were hidden spot welds giving you problems. Have you removed the window frame(upper part of the door, held in there with a few fasteners), if not, remove this and take a look. Hope that helps, I haven't touched a pair of older doors in a while; just my .02.

I'm not really sure I understand your question. Here is a pic of a door I was cleaning up last weekend, off of a '65-66. You can see that the outer skin is spot welded to the inner about every 2 inches all the way around the edge, then, just for good measure, and to make it less sharp, the front skin is then rolled over the back skin to give a smoot edge. I hope this helps. ps this is my first attempt at posting pics, so cut me some slack if it doesnt work...
door.JPG

Thanks for the reply, I guess that I thought I had seen pictures of the door skins separated in the past and just assumed there was a way to separate my early model skins without messing with welds. Since the two skins don't easly separate, is there a trick to putting in new window felt and seals? The cotterpins which hold in one side don't seem to beable to be installed without being able to get inside the door

friel01 said:
this is my first attempt at posting pics, so cut me some slack if it doesnt work...
Boy, you are lucky it worked. :eek: ;p

My 75's seem to just pop out and pop in, no cotter pins I can see. Check SOR for an idea of what it involves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom