My 100 series wrecked w/pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Car pulled out in front of me from a side road last pm. I barely had time to hit the brakes before I hit them at near 70 mph. My truck hit hard, bounced and spun 180. In about 10 feet I went from 70 to 0. I saw it coming although didn't believe she was actually pulling out, and feared for my life in the 0.8 seconds that it took to impact. Instead, I opened the door and walked away with barely a bump. That truck literally saved my life.

I've owned it since new, now has 80k mi. The adjuster has said they would total it. The amazing thing is, other than the crumpled front end with the hood flexed to near roof height, all the glass is intact. The doors all work perfectly. In fact if you cover from windshield forward, you would not know the truck was hit except for the deployed airbags.

I'm toying with buying it as salvage - I have right of first refusal - and sending it to a rebuilder. Maybe keep it in NM for a vacation truck or still get some use out of it in some fashion. So the question is, have any of you had experience in rebuilding, or recommend a shop? I'm in the Midwest, toying with trucking it to Christo Slee and letting him get creative w it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I went today to get my belongings and pay respects, and although corny, thanked the truck for taking care of me and letting me get back to my family even if the truck wouldn't. I sat in the drivers seat, inserted the key and turned it out of habit. And darned if that engine didn't start. Didn't run but a few seconds, but started right up just like every other day.

Maybe that's a sign.

Be careful on the road.

Happy to hear you are in good shape. What you describe is exactly the reason I keep dealing with paying for such bad gas mileage. In this instance, the fact that you and/or your family would be safe after such a bad accident is worth every penny.

BTW, you own a B56TC? That is one fast Baron....but it drinks 100LL in a hurry.

Very happy to hear that you are OK. Stories like this confirm my initial feelings on the safety built-in to this vehicle. Every time I load up my 18 month old boy, I think about the what-ifs and situations like yours go a long way to quell those concerns.

Wow, awesome to know the strength of the 100.... What a beast, glad to hear that you were okay. Any pixs? Hope that the other driver was okay also.

Makes me appreciate my rig that much more knowing that my family and I are well protected.

Amazing story, thanks for sharing and glad you are ok.

What did the other car look like?

What did the other car look like?

^ +1 I hate to think. Great to hear that you are unhurt, and hope that the occupants in the other car got lucky and escaped unhurt too.

A LandBruiser at 70MPH packs a major punch. Yours may well be repairable, but best to get it onto a Celette or other decent chassis rack and measure it out before you decide to buy it back. If the front frame members are bent is could take some serious pulling to get it straight again. If the suspension pickup points have moved, don't touch it.

I think the trucks design and quality of construction, as well as weight, were the key. I did want to post to assure those that transport their families, like i do w my wife and 2yo son, that the 100 is a great choice. My wife has already insisted on another LC. Strong logic - in her mind it has proven to protect its occupants, so her mind is made up. Won't be finding any more new 04s though.

Yes I owned and flew a Baron 56TC for several glorious years. 260 mph and 40gph. It was thirsty which is why I sold it. But still miss it.

The other car was a mid sized 4d late 90s olds or Buick. Hit square on the b pillar on the passengers side and peeled it open like a can opener, pushed the door about a third the way into the compartment. Luckily there was no passenger. The driver was severely injured and I pray for her recovery.

Attached are a couple of photos last pm and today - if I did it right -
image-3094029638.jpg
image-638858262.jpg
image-4232100857.jpg

Wow....that is heavy duty. Hard to read...... prayers go out to the driver of the other car and her family. Happy to hear you are safe and the LC did it's job!

That is an impressive hit.

Glad you are o.k. :)

Hope the lady makes it.....must have scared the hell out of her :frown:

Unlucky for the other party involved. :(

Though I'm comforted to know I'm in a vehicle that is at least equal or larger and stouter than most passenger cars out there. With all the full size SUV's running around, it is an arms (mass) race to ensure the protection of your family in an accident. Which is why I will always pay a gas premium to avoid hypermill hybrids and other tin can toys.

Out of curiosity, any pics of the other vehicle?

Condolences to the OP, I'm glad you made it out OK :clap:

Unlucky for the other party involved. :(

Hm, unlucky? She pulled out in front of a vehicle on a highway... that's bad driving, not bad luck.

^ people make mistakes - could happen to anyone.

OP - glad your OK. I rolled a 99 LX in 2000 hydroplaning and to this day still remember every detail of that 10 seconds.

Interesting choice of words for the thread title.

Imagine if there had been steel bumper on the front...

cant believe thats 70mph....

i would buy it back and have it repaired, i doubt the frame is horribly bent up.

Imagine if there had been steel bumper on the front...

Does anyone have any experience with a steel bumper (ARB, Blueberry, BIOR etc. . .) in an accident with a 100. I know these will shred a deer, but have never seen how they hold up in an accident with a 100.

cant believe thats 70mph....
It helps when you have the side of a Buick as half of your crumple zone. ;)

I'm glad you're OK, and sincerely hope the driver of the other car pulls through. At fault or not, it sucks to be banged up that bad, both for her, and her familiy.

Does anyone have any experience with a steel bumper (ARB, Blueberry, BIOR etc. . .) in an accident with a 100. I know these will shred a deer, but have never seen how they hold up in an accident with a 100.
Search the 80's section for Scottm's account of hitting solid concrete at freeway speeds with an ARB on his 80. I can only assume that a 100 would do better with more frame reinforcement and an extra decade of safety engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom