MUSHROOMS, What do you do with them?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking up something about different mushrooms, and came across this galette
I'm thinking that I'm relating this right.

I have always liked mushrooms, but I'm the only one in the family. So my ideas are limited.
I have put them in soups and my youngest likes them as a side with his steak, thankyou very much.
How do you guys utilize them?

I slice crimini mushrooms and then dehydrate them. Once they are completely dry I run them through a grinder to make a powder. The powder can be used on anything that benefits from the mushroom flavor omelets, steaks, soups, whatever. People that “don’t like mushrooms” will rave over the flavor.

I have heard of mushroom powder, and I think it is a great way to get umami flavor.

One simple way we like to cook Shiitake or Cremini or King Oyster mushrooms: Slice about 3/8" thick, medium-hot CI/CS skillet, a little butter or EVO, sear the sliced mushrooms on each side until medium brown (single layer in the skillet so not to steam-fry them). When the 2nd side has seared pour about 1/4C of good dry sherry (Note: I do this outside as it makes a mess I don't want to clean up inside the kitchen/house :D). If you're doing this over a flame be sure to have a fire extinguisher handy...seriously! Then continue to sauté until all the sherry has evaporated. Off the heat and salt & pepper to taste.

We use the above as appetizers and also added last in a green salad with oil & vinegar dressing.

Another favorite use for any/all mushrooms: In a soufflé'.

Another favorite use: Make duxelles and use for ravioli stuffing...with a, you guessed it, mushroom cream sauce!

Mushroom & barley soup.

Funghi pizza (this will be getting made tomorrow with a 5-day old cold ferment Neapolitan style dough that's been waiting for me).

Fresh foraged wild morels (blond of course...): My Mom used to fix them this way after we brought 'em home from foraging in the spring: A light 50/50 flour/cornmeal mixture and sautéed in butter. One of these years I'm going to go back to the midwest in mid-spring JUST for morel foraging!

I was re-reading your post Sir Suppreso, and yes I would like mushroom n beef n barley soup.
Morels, I have seen them, but never have I tried them. I do remember something about drying morels,
and grinding them into a powder to use as a seasoning/umami kinda thing.

I tried a new to me shroom the other day.
The Beech mushroom, I assumed it was going to be something like the Enoki.
Well, to me it was super fishy, and I did not like it at all.

On my list to try are fresh Porcini, and maybe some Chanterelles

I tried a new to me shroom the other day.
The Beech mushroom, I assumed it was going to be something like the Enoki.
Well, to me it was super fishy, and I did not like it at all.

On my list to try are fresh Porcini, and maybe some Chanterelles
Porcini are my favorite mushrooms. Their flavor really comes out of it's concentrated by dry sauteeing, or roasting slices over a campfire if you find them while camping or backpacking.

Porcini are my favorite mushrooms. Their flavor really comes out of it's concentrated by dry sauteeing, or roasting slices over a campfire if you find them while camping or backpacking.
YES...

Sold, where do I look for them?

Well Split, I'd find them at a high end grocery store, or order them dried from the interweb.
I would not trust myself to find them in the wild.

Sold, where do I look for them?
I have a friend who is really good at identifying them, and I usually harvest them when I'm backpacking with him. They are pretty prolific in the mountains around here. There are a few key identifying characteristics that help to make sure they're not the toxic variety that looks quite similar. I'm definitely not an expert, so I won't try to say how to identify them. Find a club in your area though, and they can help you out! 🍄 🍄 🍄

@surfpig Some kind of mushroom farm at 6801 Grant Line Road. I was not able to check it out. Thought you might like...

Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms

20200123_163932.jpg

I was watching more cooking stuff on Youtube, and saw that morels seem to have a hollow stem that goes all the way to the top?
I wonder if you could stuff them, and cook them whole?

You know, I found a big shroom, cremini or bella, and seasoned it and grilled it like a burger for my MIL who was no longer eating beef.
Served it like a burger also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom