MRR - MRA Dobinson experience (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve run the OG slinky spec Icon’s at 2” diameter and found them under damped for the weight of the truck. My 93 is on run of the mill OME.

Around town, they feel fine. Soaks up bumps and never had any floaty issues. I’ve got mine set more firm than the manual ask for. You still feel when the front sway bar is disconnected (plug for LandCruiser Phil’s quick disconnect) but even then it’s just more lean and not more float.

For the off highway stuff, adding white lines heavy duty sway bars front and back made the most difference. It’s not a 911, but it doesn’t feel like a land yacht when everything is hooked up.
Thanks for sharing. I'm looking for something plush on the pavement and better ride quality than my OME off road. I did install white line front and rear sway bars. Those things are beefy!!

I have two years and 25k miles on mine. I have done a decent amount of bombing through the desert, fire roads and rock crawling. I couldn't be happier. Took a bit to dial in my preferred settings but I am very thrilled with how they perform in everything I throw at them. Mine are paired with the Slee 4" coils (HD in rear). I also have the Delta rear panhard bracket (3") and Whiteline HD rear sway bar with LCP HD links. I am very happy with my setup and have zero regrets.

Smitty

I have two years and 25k miles on mine. I have done a decent amount of bombing through the desert, fire roads and rock crawling. I couldn't be happier. Took a bit to dial in my preferred settings but I am very thrilled with how they perform in everything I throw at them. Mine are paired with the Slee 4" coils (HD in rear). I also have the Delta rear panhard bracket (3") and Whiteline HD rear sway bar with LCP HD links. I am very happy with my setup and have zero regrets.

Smitty
Do you find around town and highway that is noticably more comfortable and smooth? Are you running MT tires?

I'm a weekend warrior if anything. Trying to find the best of both worlds. Noticable comfort on the pavement and better handling blazing trails.

I'm running 35" KM3 and all the armor and accessories a rig could ask for.

Thanks!!!

Do you find around town and highway that is noticably more comfortable and smooth? Are you running MT tires?

I'm a weekend warrior if anything. Trying to find the best of both worlds. Noticable comfort on the pavement and better handling blazing trails.

Thanks!!!
That’s going to be in how you set it up. I prefer a more firm ride. I can’t get it to sports car level, but close enough to really like the handling. I’m sure at the other end it’s closer to a crown Vic. But the adjustment is stupid easy to get to. It’s entirely possible to have them set up one way for the pavement miles to get to the trail, then when you disconnect the front sway bar and drop air pressure, to adjust the shock settings within the same 10 minute period of time. It’s not a one setting and your done for life unless you want to be.

That’s going to be in how you set it up. I prefer a more firm ride. I can’t get it to sports car level, but close enough to really like the handling. I’m sure at the other end it’s closer to a crown Vic. But the adjustment is stupid easy to get to. It’s entirely possible to have them set up one way for the pavement miles to get to the trail, then when you disconnect the front sway bar and drop air pressure, to adjust the shock settings within the same 10 min.ute period of time. It’s not a one setting and your done for life unless you want to be.
Thanks!!!!! I just wanted to make sure that plush ride was in there with these shocks. I know some of the more race inspired shocks don't let you get to soft. I watched a review about these and they said these shocks were more of a middle ground when it comes to some.of the competing race shocks.

Thanks!!!
It is way more comfortable on pavement. I run Toyo MTs and don't really feel them at all on pavement. With that said, I am sure it would be even smoother with ATs. Coming from Icon 2.0s and OME Nitrochargers, there really is no comparison.

I soften up the rebound while airing down in seconds and then easily firm everything back up when airing back up. It is very easy to have different settings for different uses.

I have very little body roll on pavement with my settings and the handling is as good as I could ever ask out of a truck like this.

I am also very heavy and really enjoy the performance and adjustability of these shocks.

Smitty

Last edited:
It is way more comfortable on pavement. I run Toyo MTs and do really feel them at all on pavement. With that said, I am sure it would be even smoother with ATs. Coming from Icon 2.0s and OME Nitrochargers, there really is no comparison.

I soften up the rebound while airing down in seconds and then easily firm everything back up when airing back up. It is very easy to have different settings for different uses.

I have very little body roll on pavement with my settings and the handling is as good as I could ever ask out of a truck like this.

I am also very heavy and really enjoy the performance and adjustability of these shocks.

Smitty
Great! I'm running a similar very heavy setup. Coming from OME. Running 35" KM3s. Which I came from KO2s and noticed immediately these are obviously stiffer over road imperfections. Which in Los Angeles we have a ton...some of these City roads might as well be trails.

@smittycrusher do you mind sharing your settings? I started another thread about my new install of the MRA's and received very little response. I'm also running slee 4 inch springs and I've found that the shocks are a little too soft. I feel almost bouncy. However, with that said, I've not had a lot of time to mess with them.

It is pretty easy to change the settings, and just one or two clicks you can notice the difference, however if it's hot outside and you stop in a parking lot to crawl under your truck on a 200 degree asphalt parking lot, it's a little odd!

Thanks!!!!! I just wanted to make sure that plush ride was in there with these shocks. I know some of the more race inspired shocks don't let you get to soft. I watched a review about these and they said these shocks were more of a middle ground when it comes to some.of the competing race shocks.
I'm still adjusting mine, but coming from a set of blown out OME L shocks, the ride is soooo softer.

I currently am trying to adjust out a little "bounce" in mine that I notice over large speed bumps. For example, if I hit a larger speed hump as the truck settles on the other side I feel like I have at least 1 rebound too many. Don't know if that makes any sense.....

I'm still adjusting mine, but coming from a set of blown out OME L shocks, the ride is soooo softer.

I currently am trying to adjust out a little "bounce" in mine that I notice over large speed bumps. For example, if I hit a larger speed hump as the truck settles on the other side I feel like I have at least 1 rebound too many. Don't know if that makes any sense.....
Yeah definitely. Have you been able to experiment much? Do you think your spring combo could play a role?

Yeah definitely. Have you been able to experiment much? Do you think your spring combo could play a role?
I have not had a lot of time to experiment, that's why I'm being careful not to say too much. But yes, my first thought is are these springs not matched up properly to the shocks, but I really don't "think" that could be the case since the shocks have so much adjustability.

As far as just a typical drive around town, they are great. It's when I start really testing them like hitting the speed hump in our neighborhood at 30 MPH instead of 5 and feeling the truck spring a little. Each time I do that I make a click or two on the low speed compression and rebound and it improves. I just need to mess around with them more.

On a side note it's amazing what all I found wrong under my truck and didn't even realize it. Had oil on my PS leading arm and could not figure out where it was coming from.. it was from a OME shock!! Couldn't figure out why I was getting so much wandering on the road.... it was from both front sway bar bolts broken off and the front sway bar completely disconnected. Couldn't figure out what was clunking and squeaking down the road... found out my rear sway bar mounts were wobbling around and almost broken.

So, fixing all that stuff and putting new shocks on has made the ride amazing!!

@concretejungle love it. Yeah all those things make a difference. I'm sure it's tightening up nicely. I ended up ripping my front sway bar axle mounts off on the trail a while back. I was getting some clunking before that. I realized they had probably slowly deteriorating. I ended up getting the new tabs from Land Tank. Sure weren't fun to weld back in place.

@smittycrusher do you mind sharing your settings? I started another thread about my new install of the MRA's and received very little response. I'm also running slee 4 inch springs and I've found that the shocks are a little too soft. I feel almost bouncy. However, with that said, I've not had a lot of time to mess with them.

It is pretty easy to change the settings, and just one or two clicks you can notice the difference, however if it's hot outside and you stop in a parking lot to crawl under your truck on a 200 degree asphalt parking lot, it's a little odd!
I thought bouncy as well until I turned the rebound on the bottom of the shock all the firm (all the way to the right) on the bottom of the shock. That made me very happy. My low speed setting on all four corners is also all the way to the right on all four corners (I think that is setting 20/20). Up front, my high speed setting is 8/14. On the rear I am a little softer at 6/14.

On road, I get very tight handling with minimal body roll and a comfortable ride with these settings.

When airing down for the trail, I usually soften each up by three clicks…except rebound, I always keep that the same.

I dialed in rebound by bombing over large speed bumps and have very little, if any bounce at the highest setting. I also don’t bounce off road either.

I hope this helps.

Smitty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom