Mounting cabinets ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so maybe I was just tired? I'm moving into the new house , I have three wood storage cabinets , I can't find my stud finder... So I had a good assortment of dry wall anchors and screws... No luck they just kept ripping out the wall... Anyone have an alternative?

Thanks james

My experience with electronic stud finders is they generally suck.

I have better luck by taking a bright flashlight, skim the beam across the wall, look for shadows where the screws made dimples.

I use the tap method to get a general idea where a stud is then make holes with a small brad to find center. After that just measure 16" each way to find studs.

If you use a electrical box to find the first stud make sure it is a new construction box not a remodel box. Take off the plate and if there are two screw heads located diagonally on the box itself it's probably an remodel box. These can be located anywhere in a wall, not just by a stud.

Tapping the wall with a hammer and then using a few test nails is pretty easy. The cabinets are going to cover your already blemished walls, whats a few more holes to find a stud. Might be 24" OC as well. You don't want the cabinets to fall off the walls once they're full of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom