Mounting Aluminum tub/cowl to frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow cruisers/wrenchers...

Starting rebuild of 2/79 FJ40. I acquired a rust free frame which I'm preparing to blast and POR. Before I do this I need to do a little metal work. My questions concerns the body mounts. On the rear channel there are two holes for the body mount bolts, moving up the frame from rear to front there are two more fairly large holes on the first set of small frame brackets, and then two holes with some sort of shaped washer/spacer (welded?) on the larger set of frame brackets, after that I'm not sure where else the body mount bolts attach to the frame. SOR catalog not to enlightening, and neither is the standard review of body mount kits offered by JTO, etc. My first questions has to do with shaped washer/spacer. I assume that is to hold a large rubber doughnut in place between the frame and body. Do I need to have these shaped washers in place at all the frame to body mount holes? If so, where do I acquire them, or necessary to fabricate? Any work arounds? Does a complete body mount kit exist for a 2/79 frame? Bottom line, anyone want to give me some details? My first frame-off, looks like it could be fun!?

Appreciate the feedback...

Dave

Did you look at the body mount components in the 2004 SOR catalog page 105A & 106A? It gives pretty good details

nocents

The aqualu kits come with all the hardware for a standard mounting. I did a 2" body lift when I installed my tub so I did'nt use alot of the bolts supplied with the kit.
Fat Kid here suggested using boat trailer rollers cut to size for spacers. This sounds like a great idea. You can get all the rest of the fasteners easily at an industrial hardware supply store.
I highly recomend using at least a 1" body lift while you're at it. I really like the 2" body lift it really make the rig alot easier to work on and leaves room for many modifications.

My FJ40 was also built in February of 79 and I have installed the Auqualu tub on it. I used Daystar poly body bushings, they do make a full body bushing kit for the 79-83 FJ40's (The 79+ tub/cowl bolts to the frame in six places), I baught it from TLC (www.tlc4x4.com). I didn't have any problems installing the tub with the Daystar bushing kit, it didn't require any special parts, just the bushings, washers, nuts and bolts, etc. Hope this answers some of your questions, if you have any more, let me know.

What you listed is all there is for through body/frame mounts:

two at the rear
one each side on brackets
one each side at the cowl sitting on those washer looking dodads

However there are four fixed body mounts on the rear frame but they are floating in that they dont have bolts through them. They are actually screwed to the underside of the body on a aqualu tub.

I am also doing a 2" body lift in conjunction with my new Aqualu tub. I used the daystar poly bushings from tlc4x4 as well.

Kevin

Thanks for the replies...sounds like I don't have to be concerned about finding some round "cup" washers (doughnut looking things) similiar to those currently in place on the forward most frame brackets to place on the smaller frame brackets toward the rear? Anyway, Aquala is sending out a video for me to review...

Cheers,

Dave

This is crazy, my fj40 is feb/79 aswell. I just finished getting mine together a few months ago. If you have any questions about the install you can email me. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom