Mounting a fuel pump inside the fuel tank for my LS swap (1 Viewer)

Since I didn’t find much info on this when I searched a while back, I thought I would make a post showing how I mounted the electric fuel pump inside tank on my 84 FJ60. I’m in the middle of a LS swap and I noticed most people mount the pump on the frame but I feel like it will much more dependable mounted in the tank.

The FJ60 tanks are already set up for a tank mounted pump from the factory. There is already a recessed mounting pad and the tank has a baffled pickup tray inside. It was meant to be!

I’m using a fuel pump kit from Tanks Inc. This is the kit designed for their EFI tanks so it doesn’t come with a mounting ring or gasket. They offer a retrofit pump that does come with a mounting ring and gasket but the mounting plate is much larger and I felt the smaller pump plate would fit the FJ60 tank better.

This is what I started with: a new tank from Toyota.

I started by finding the center of the opening and drilling a 2 1/4” hole using a hole saw.

Since this is a universal pump, you have to do some measuring and trimming of the feed line to get the pump pickup at the bottom of the tank. This was the finished product:

Now the hard part, I had to make a mounting ring to go on the inside of the tank so the mounting screws would have something to attach to. I found a scrap piece of 3/16” mild steel and first drilled a 3 1/4” hole using a hole saw. Then, working with the slug, I drilled a 2 1/4” hole ending up with a ring roughly 3 1/4 OD and 2 1/4 ID. I then transferred the mounting holes from the pump using transfer punches and drilled/tapped for 10-32 machine screws. I then transferred the holes to the tank and drilled the tank.

Next, I had to notch the ring so I could get it inside the tank.

Before the ring was welded, I used it as a pattern to make a mounting gasket.

I used the screws to hold the ring in place to tack weld it to the tank.

Then, I was ready to mount to pump. I used truss head machine screws because they have a larger head than pan head screws. This worked well with the rubber washers I used to seal the screws to the pump plate. I also used some Indian Head gasket sealant on the gasket per Tanks Inc’s instructions.

Here you can see, the pump landed perfectly in the pick up tray.

I still need to make a pigtail for the wiring harness but it’s pretty much complete. I hope this helps!

I’ll add, if you cut the smaller hole first, you could use the smaller saw as a pilot for the larger saw. This way, you can lock down the squared chunk of plate for drilling, rather than trying to keep a disk from spinning in a vise while applying rotational friction. Cheers!

Unless you’re using a drill press, you have to cut the large hole first. Otherwise, you’d never be able to keep the hole saw centered on the second hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom