mountain driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On hard snowpack or ice, chains go on the BACK, or all four. If you brake hard with chains only on the front, the rears lock and slide while the fronts grip, and around you go back end first into the ditch. It happens a lot quicker than you might imagine!
In deep snow, it doesn't matter as much. If you let off the gas you'll stop moving forward pretty quickly. Off-road in deep snow, I use them on the front. On a well used trail, I keep them on the back.

Makes sense to me. ;) I guess now that I think about it I haven't used chains on my 4WD vehicles on the highway. Seems like I'm always driving some beat up old 2WD pickup when the road gets slippery!

The times I've had to chain up my 4WD have been when I'm clawing through rough, greasy trails where I want the front pulling. Hard braking at speed isn't an issue then. And I choose the front or all 4 every time in those cases.

Live and learn.

I live in Maine, have all my life. The BFG all terrain is the best snow tire (and all around for that matter, even keeps up with the muds until it get's real bad) I have ever owned next to a studded 7.50. I put a set of green diomond snows on my wifes car last year and they seem to work real well. They have carbide fragments in the rubber compound of the tire so you can leave them on year round and as the rubber wears new carbide is exposed, cool. They make quite a few types, maybe give them a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom