Motor Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I crawled under the cruiser today to replace my starter and I noticed the TC mount or Motor mount, the one to the far right by the front driveshaft, is loose and squishey. The bolt was loose and it looks like it has a castle nut, but no cotter pin, so, I tightened the thing, and it is still WAAAAY flexey. I don't seem to get a lot of slop or play, the fan is not hitting the shroud when I pull wheelies, the shifters are not flailing all around. So, how do you tell if they're bad?

I've only replaced MM when the fan played Dixie on the shroud while braketorquing my MOM's T-Bird, or whatever else I was tearing up in the "formative" years...when someone else was fixing the s*** I broke. Kinda the same situation I'm in with my 19 year-old.
The cruiser has the old donut style mounts, which I understand can be replaced wit the newer style square mounts.
Any suggestions? I'm probably due.
Ed Long :-\

Change them all out and tighten things up, sounds like you found out at a good time.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks, Poser. Got a source? Tried CCOT's? OEM?
Ed :)

Mine went all gooey too, so I changed them out and noticed an immediate difference, not only in feel, but also the sound. Drivetrain smoothness also seems to be improved while crawling.

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=7481;start=msg62511#msg62511 date=1068698207]
Thanks, Poser. Got a source? Tried CCOT's? OEM?
[/quote]

I would only go OEM, but that is me. Not sure how many different engine mount mfg's for the Land Cruiser are out there..

Call Skip:

800 848 4451, good guy.

-Steve

I found that i had the same problem when I pulled the motor.. the rear mounts that support the trans and engine were totally squished, while the ones on top were fine.. I bought two used ones from cruiserparts.net for $5.00 a piece, and put the new style mounts fromm CCOT up front.. I picked up some new rear bolts, castle nuts and cotterpins from SOR, and the install went smooth.. I had the original donut style ones upfront, so figuring out which direction the late model square ones went in was kind of a pain when the motor was on the hoist, but all in all, it went easy. CCOT's mounts did not come with the upper bolts, or the lower nuts for the front mounts. If yours are as rusty as mine were, you will have to pick up some new ones.

Mike

So, the replacements are all the square kind? Like even the Transmission/TC mounts?
Even though I just tightened the one mount, everything seemed "better". Makes me want to redo them all.
Again on the source, CCOT, SOR, HeartofTexasoffroad, JTO????
NAPA??
Gimme an idea. Anything is probably better than what I've got. Marshmallows!!!!!! ??? ??? ???
Ed

I have used SOR motormounts in the past since the are close to me and I can pick them up. Yes, SOR is always a little more but their product always seems to work good and fits. I can't say anything about any other brand of motormounts since I have not tried them. I wouldn't be opposed to trying other brands.

I got my front mounts from JTO, I think they were $30 each. I got the rear from TPI, they were $4 each. The rear are still doughnut type and the front are the new rectangular ones.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. Are all but the front two alike? And how many banannas :banana: :banana:?
I mean someone said something about an engine hoist, seems like it could be done with a floor jack?
Thanks,

Yes, the four rear are the same. I would think the hoist would make the job a little easier, but you could do it with a floor jack. I had to put the rear in after the engine/tranny/xfer were already in the truck, it was not that difficult. The fronts would be a little more challenging, but should go fairly easy as well.

Thanks, Brad.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom