Motor fuse burning out (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
I have a 1988 T.L.C bj-73 with 3b engine. The fuse for the motor burns out and I don't know what to look for. The motor just stop and can't get it to go again until a new fuse is put in place. Anyone with any ideas or had that problem before where to look if its cause by a short or something else. Appreciate any help.
Thanks rusty1

Did it happen all of a sudden or has it been like that since you bought it? You can start by checking the battery cable and connections at both ends.

Hi roscoFJ73
Yes it happen all the sudden replace the fuse and it blew again the minute I turn the key on. I then moved the wires on the fuel filter and it started. Drove for about 5 km and stopped again same thing when I turned the key on. Again I touched the fuel filter wires and it started. Got home disconnected the fuel filter and no problems reconnected it and no problems drove on real rough roads and nothing happened Also fried my signal light flasher a bare wire on my trailer wiring. just wondering if that was my problem because no problem since. i dint think the motor fuse would be on the same line as the signal/trailer lights. What do you think and thanks for the suggestions. Rusty1

Hi roscoFJ73
Yes it happen all the sudden replace the fuse and it blew again the minute I turn the key on. I then moved the wires on the fuel filter and it started. Drove for about 5 km and stopped again same thing when I turned the key on. Again I touched the fuel filter wires and it started. Got home disconnected the fuel filter and no problems reconnected it and no problems drove on real rough roads and nothing happened Also fried my signal light flasher a bare wire on my trailer wiring. just wondering if that was my problem because no problem since. i dint think the motor fuse would be on the same line as the signal/trailer lights. What do you think and thanks for the suggestions. Rusty1

I would say there is/was a problem with the connections on your filter somewhere.

When my engine fuse went ,everything died from memory.
Trailers wires can do strange things if not perfectly installed.

I always recommend that the battery earth strap be checked at the frame/chassis for corrosion.
If its not 100% ,it intensifies other problems.

I had this issue with my truck, turned out to be some sketchy trailer light wiring under the carpet near the back... It happened when I piled a bunch of heavy coolers in the back...

Just took a little investgating

check batteries, all wiring around the edic, and a good look over all wiring

Hey mate, I have a bj73 cruiser, had a similar issue only a few weeks ago, drove me mad, it'd start fine, run for a while, id get to say a roundabout or intersection then it'd just die, blow the engine fues, id replace, drive again for no spacific amount of time and it would happen again, It took about 4 fues before i relised it was everytime i hit my indicator (well, 2 secconds after), turned out to be the indicator globe was smashed inside the housing and the ligh filiment was touching the body :) Hope that helps

Grant
Bj73: 8" lift -> 12HT Motor from a HJ61 -> 35" Cooper Stt's and a heap more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom