Mostly Stock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's about time I started a build thread on mud. I've been a long time lurker, and with the nudge from a couple people in my life, I thought I would share what I have been doing to the 'ol 1998 Landcruiser I have. Sidenote: A few people might know me from other social platforms such as Instagram. If you are into that kind of thing, I'm evko_offroad on the socials. If not, I'll be sharing my vehicle build process as I go here as well. Ok back to the good stuff.

First, a little backstory about myself, and how I ended up here. I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a 1991 Toyota pickup as my first vehicle. It was probably the best vehicle I could have asked for. Besides the 3.0 engine deciding it wanted to be a 5 cylinder, I loved that truck. That is where I learned bolt on upgrades, aren't bold on upgrades. Figured out how to insulate a cabin, work on my vehicle, how to yell at your vehicle when you smash your hand while loosing a bolt, and learned you usually just need a bigger hammer to get that item loose. I bought it in Colorado, barged it over to Maui, then barged it back to the mainland so I could have it at college. Fast forward to me married with two kids, and I decided to sell it to buy another family vehicle, as baby seats didn't really fit in the "extended cab." I still see the truck to this day 10+ years after selling it. Maybe I will flag them down one of these days so I can purchase it back from them. After a few vehicle purchases that I regret (Subaru), I finally ended up on the right side of things again, with a 1998 Landcruiser. I don't know the history on this vehicle other than the dealership I purchased it from said they bought it from Salt Lake City. It had teq stickers on the center caps, and a tlca sticker on the window, so someone on here I'm sure can fill me in.

I purchased the cruiser back in 2015, and have been dreaming of what I could do so I could get out further and explore with my family.

First picture:
IMG_0957.JPG

Back when I purchased it, the cruiser had 285/75r16's on it. I can't tell what OME springs are in the back, but they are OME, with airbags inside that are routed to the rear cargo area. Everything else, was stock.

And then the slow build process began...

The first thing I did was join the local tlca chapter where I lived. 406 Cruisers. The members there have been amazing.
IMG_0903.JPG

Then I took the vehicle on three "shake down" camping trips with the family. Nothing crazy, just some dirt roads. This gave me a good baseline on what I might need to update, or change about the rig. The obvious was our pack time. I wanted to reduce that so we could get out the door quicker from working to camping.
IMG_1005.JPG

I also really wanted sliders. The main reason was financial. A door costs a lot to replace...plastic bumpers, not as much. I barely know how to weld, so I took it to a local fabricator who helped bring to life what I thought would be some good looking sliders. (I painted the sliders with some rustoleum bed liner after these pictures)
IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

At the same time I got to building some drawers as buying them was out of the question for our budget. I wanted the absolute maximum space inside the drawers I could use. So they are simply a box within a box. 1/2 construction, and whatever else I had lying around in the garage. I think the backs are 3/4 and the front, because I ran out of wood. The height was based off of the back seats folded down so I could fit an air mattress on top.
IMG_1411.JPG

The kids of course had to try it out and let me know if it was comfortable or not.
IMG_1407.JPG

I ran the above set up for years. To those wondering about the strap holding down the drawers, yes I replaced that with turnbuckles. Much safer. But you know...I had a budget. There were definitely times I scraped over a few rocks, scratched up the bumpers, and the wheels. At one point mangling one of the center caps. It performed well above my expectations. I was following an 80 all around, so this was expected. During those years I had a bunch of other things in my life going on. New jobs, house, and many family trips. I'll be adding pictures of all the trips, and subsequent repairs I have had to do along the way. Hopefully updating this thread rather frequently so I can catch up to the present.
DSC00921-1024x576.jpg

FAE4888C-5197-42EB-A349-31E9CA15965A.jpg

Looking good, it's amazing what our rigs can do in a pretty much stock configuration. If you ever find yourself up in the NW corner we can hit a few trails. Looks like a lot more fun stuff down near the Bozeman area.

Looking good, it's amazing what our rigs can do in a pretty much stock configuration. If you ever find yourself up in the NW corner we can hit a few trails. Looks like a lot more fun stuff down near the Bozeman area.
Thank you! I want to explore that area sometime, so if I find myself up there, I'll give you a shout!

I knew I forgot something in there. Before heading out on the trail rides with the club, I needed a cb radio, and a fire extinguisher. So, I took some flatbar and bent them into shape. Then I took those over to my brother in law to have him weld the two inch welds to hold it all together. The result was a nice home made extinguisher mount, that clears the seat when you slide it forward. Most importantly, it is very fast to access in case we need to use it.

IMG_9185.jpeg

When I had the sliders made, I was worried about hitting the mounts for the lower control arms where they tie into the frame. It looked like it wouldn't slide very well if you hit a rock, let alone not bend. So I had the fabricator weld up a little extension so it was stronger, and if I were to slide on it, it would slide right down to the arm. I think a few people have done something similar, but I thought I would share anyway.

IMG_9184.jpeg

The cb was relatively straight forward to install. I decided to put it right above my single din stereo. I had to cut out the back of the cubby, but it fit right in there. The cb antenna is mounted right in front of the stereo antenna.

IMG_2028.JPG

The missing piece of trim has since been glued into place, but was broken when I bought it.

Then it was time to hit some trails. I was lucky enough to be following someone who really knew their way around the area. Here are a few pictures of the places we got to visit.

EA1E31F0-D6A5-4B83-8B5D-BF57E39F3BA1.jpg

PipeStone.jpg

DSC_8916-1024x683.jpg

The cruiser performed very well. I would hit my sliders, pumpkin, and shock mounts every now and then, but I was following a nicely built 80 around, so I considered that a success. By the end of that summer, the bumpers were a bit scratched up from low approach and departure angles...and that one rock on the side of the trail I somehow didn't see. I didn't have any plans at the time to replace those, as I hadn't encountered a place yet that I would need the extra clearance. That however did change eventually...

That tunnel looks pretty creepy. Is that an old railway tunnel?

I was looking to possibly install a new double din stereo in my 2000 LX, but I really like the idea of doing a single din with a radio as you have. It would be pretty slick if you had a radio with the handset connected through the back so that you could remote connect/mount the handset somewhere lower and out of the way like the blank panel to the right of the AC controls.

That tunnel looks pretty creepy. Is that an old railway tunnel?

I was looking to possibly install a new double din stereo in my 2000 LX, but I really like the idea of doing a single din with a radio as you have. It would be pretty slick if you had a radio with the handset connected through the back so that you could remote connect/mount the handset somewhere lower and out of the way like the blank panel to the right of the AC controls.
Yes on both accounts! The tunnel is indeed an old railway tunnel. There was a big mine in that area. I would love to swap the cb out for a rear handset. The cable hanging down works, but sometimes gets in the way.

I didn't want to rely on the rigs around me to help fill up my tires after going on a trail ride, so I decided it was time for an arb compressor. I would have loved to go for the dual, but money was pretty tight, and I saw the single performed pretty well, so I opted for that one. Again, I would love the slee mount, but I decided I could just use the empty space on that side, and mount it straight to the fender. And before anyone asks, yes that is a bottle cap. It has worked great as a dust cap.

IMG_9187.jpeg

Then it was off to more trails, and getting stuck in a snow drift during a bachelor party.

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

Some of the seatbelts were getting slow or stuck while being retracted back into place. As it was winter during the time, there was no better time to tear apart the interior of the vehicle and powerwash the seatbelts while there was snow on the ground. It didn't bring them back to new, but it did help retract a bit faster. And there was no denying that they were cleaner. While I was taking apart the interior, I noticed lots of extra wires all over the place, so I started taking those out as I went. I believe one set of wires were possibly for a cd changer in the rear? And the second set was what looks like a remote start? Again, all previous owner, and there was no remote start controller that came with the keys. So it all came out. I liked cleaning that up a bit.

IMG_5704.jpeg

IMG_5705.jpeg

IMG_5703.jpeg

60048106970__83BAC0EF-1E6E-4408-BAD0-5C5311410AE9.JPG

IMG_5701.jpeg

Ham radios work WAY better, so I went off to get licensed and install my radio. I decided on mounting it where the ash tray used to live. The small footprint of the radio fit perfect in there. For the antenna, I took some flat steel and bent it into shape so I could mount the antenna halfway down the hood on the passenger side. This placement has given me great range/reception. I know ideal placement is centered on your roof...but I didn't want to drill a hole up there.

IMG_9191.jpeg

IMG_9192.jpeg

I didn't want to rely on the rigs around me to help fill up my tires after going on a trail ride, so I decided it was time for an arb compressor. I would have loved to go for the dual, but money was pretty tight, and I saw the single performed pretty well, so I opted for that one. Again, I would love the slee mount, but I decided I could just use the empty space on that side, and mount it straight to the fender. And before anyone asks, yes that is a bottle cap. It has worked great as a dust cap.

View attachment 2817488

Then it was off to more trails, and getting stuck in a snow drift during a bachelor party.

View attachment 2817489

View attachment 2817490

View attachment 2817491

Nice pic. Our rigs our great in the snow but once that heavy snow hits the frame rails it's just like a beached whale. Took me a few dozen times getting stuck to realize It's just not worth hammering down trying to get through to eventually get hung up.

Nice pic. Our rigs our great in the snow but once that heavy snow hits the frame rails it's just like a beached whale. Took me a few dozen times getting stuck to realize It's just not worth hammering down trying to get through to eventually get hung up.
Agreed. There have been a few times I have been buried that deep, and it's a battle to get them out.

There was a leak from the passenger grab handle by the sunroof, and based on previous threads I thought I had a blocked up sunroof drain. But after taping if off in a rainstorm, it still leaked. So, I started taping off other parts of the vehicle. It turned out to be leaking from under the stock roof rack rails. I took off the cap, and found that a bolt either backed itself out, or was never tightened down. After some sealant and tightening down the bolt, no more leaking.

IMG_5216.jpeg

A used vehicle always comes with surprises, and this one wasn't the best. I was under the vehicle one day and saw something sticking out from behind the rear bumper cover. It turned out to be an old shop towel (or paper towel). I pulled that out, and found that there was rust eating away from the rear corners behind the rear wheels. So, off came the bumper cover, and the repair work started. Pretty happy with how everything turned out.

IMG_5137.jpeg

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

Then some primer and paint, everything looked pretty good. The best part of course is no more rust eating the sheet metal away.

This one I'm sure will raise some opinions, but I always thought the 100's looked better with just a bit more width between the tires. So, it was time for some spacers, which could mean I might be able to run bigger tires at some point as well. Now, you could do this with a different wheel and offset, but these were available close by, and way cheaper than new wheels. I had to have the front's machined out every so slightly to clear the hubs. This resulted in the tires perfectly aligned with the fenders.

IMG_4757.jpeg

With them installed:
IMG_5672.jpeg

I had a conference in Salt Lake City, so I had to go see the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. If you are ever in the area, go and stop by. It's absolutely worth it.

IMG_2213.jpeg

IMG_2217.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

So many amazing vehicles! Looking forward to my next visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom