More winch cable questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my father has convinced me that I should have a winch on my 80. Sure. Sounds like a good investment. I'll actually be installing an XD9000 this weekend.

In the meantime, I've been trying to learn about winches and how to use them properly (I have no winching experience). I've heard horror stories about people being cut in half by broken steel cables, but I figured steel cables didn't really break unless they were battered and abused.

From reading posts around here I get the impression that steel cables break more often than I thought. At the same time I'm reading that the "flying cable of death" is not as common as everyone thinks.

On top of that, my dad--a long time winch user (though not "hardore" wheeler)--says that steel cables almost never break, and that's the last thing I should be worrying about.

At this point I'm half scared to death about using my winch, not sure if I should drop another $300 on a synthetic cable (which sounds near disposable).

Anyone feel like adding to my confusion?

Hayes

the couple of stories I remember reading about people hurt during recovery were more IIRC about tow straps with hooks and the like than with winches

but no personal experience either way

Hayes said:
So my father has convinced me that I should have a winch on my 80. Sure. Sounds like a good investment. I'll actually be installing an XD9000 this weekend.

In the meantime, I've been trying to learn about winches and how to use them properly (I have no winching experience). I've heard horror stories about people being cut in half by broken steel cables, but I figured steel cables didn't really break unless they were battered and abused.

From reading posts around here I get the impression that steel cables break more often than I thought. At the same time I'm reading that the "flying cable of death" is not as common as everyone thinks.

On top of that, my dad--a long time winch user (though not "hardore" wheeler)--says that steel cables almost never break, and that's the last thing I should be worrying about.

At this point I'm half scared to death about using my winch, not sure if I should drop another $300 on a synthetic cable (which sounds near disposable).

Anyone feel like adding to my confusion?

Hayes

Get the Bill Burke recovery DVD!

spressomon said:
Get the Bill Burke recovery DVD!

I second that for any new winch user.

Having witnessed a few steel cable failures first hand (both wheeling and in towing/recovery with a rollback) when the steel cable itself fails it drops dead. It's when the attachment point fails that the cables start flying.

Nick

Both steel & synthetic have their + and -. The first step will be to get your winch and learn how to properly use it. Emphasis on the word properly.

From there you can decide which suits your needs. I went from steel to synthetic, but only after my steel one needed replacing. I'd suggest, unless you have deep pockets, to go with the manufacturer's standard supply.

I've seen one flying cable of death. It is damn scary. The cable (5/8 inch) broke close to the end. The cable was being thoroughly abused.

I've seen kevlar slings break in crane usage. The kevlar is similar to the synthetic rope in that it does not store elastic strain energny and threfore "whip".
It works.

That said, proper wire rope usage is key.

Trainrech,

Yeah. That's really what I'm trying to do. I hope to get out next weekend and "winch around" with my father. I'm also trying to understand my equipment. On one hand I figure that Warn has set me up with a system that--if used properly--is perfectly balanced and configured. On the other hand--after reading that pirate4x4 link above--I'm uncertain about my cable, my hook, and what my maximum safe load is.

For example: If all the equipment in my winch system (winch, cable, hook, shackles, swages, choker chain, etc) is rated to about 9,000 pounds, wouldn't setting up a snatch block (c-drag pulley in climber-speak) to allow me to pull beyond the power of my winch just push me over the safe working load of every other piece of equipement?

Hayes

Hayes said:
For example: If all the equipment in my winch system (winch, cable, hook, shackles, swages, choker chain, etc) is rated to about 9,000 pounds, wouldn't setting up a snatch block (c-drag pulley in climber-speak) to allow me to pull beyond the power of my winch just push me over the safe working load of every other piece of equipement?

Hayes

In a simple snatch block setup (like a crane):

Winch - max. line pull is 9000 lbs.
Load on line going to snatch block = 9000 lbs.
Load on line going back to 2nd attachment point on vehicle = 9000 lbs.
Load on hook and/or shackle at vehicle - 9000 lbs.
Load on snatch block hook = 18,000 lbs.
Load on strap/chain to the 2nd point you are pulling against (vehicle/tree/etc.) = 18,000 lbs.

One other note, most lifiting items have a built-in factor of safety of 5:1. Also, a 9,000 lb winch is only rated at that pull for a single layer on the drum. After that the rated line pull decreases considerably.

HTH.

...so your snatch block and other equipment at the object your're pulling should be significantly stronger than the rest of the system...

Thanks.

Hayes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom