More Power from a 1KZ TE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTV

Threads
Good day, all knowing Brethren.
So, I'm looking at ways of getting more power out of my KZJ78. I have installed a new exhaust, done the EGR delete, but with the larger tires (33's), I find the rig struggling a bit going up hills and maintaining 90-100 km/h. To do so, I see the EGT's creep up past 1250, so I often ease off the pedal to keep them down. I plan on towing a light boat with it soon, and eventually a tear drop RV, so that will require more power to maintain good highway speeds.
What's the safest, and most cost effective way of getting more power out of these engines? Chip? More boost? Ideas?
More power tends to mean more heat, so I'm guessing an intercooler is on the list also. Has the debate been settled on front mount vs top mount?
Thanks for your shared knowledge, I do appreciate it.
B

Stage one: Scrap EGR system, buy manual boost controller and set to 12 psi. Install EGT and boost gauge. 10-15% power increase.

Stage two: Add intercooler, set boost to 15-20psi or so. Use a means of tricking MAP sensor to keep computer from going to fuel cut when boost exceeds 14psi. This can be done a few ways. Turn up spill valve 1/2 turn. Up to 50% power increase.

Stage three: Re-program ECU, upgrade turbo, 20-30psi. 50-100% power increase.

Front mount intercoolers will always be better than top mount for efficiency, as the front mount receives cool fresh air. Top mount will always be fighting engine bay heat (which rises naturally). Top mount is easier/cheaper which is the only attractive thing about it.

Last edited:
Stage one: Scrap EGR system, buy manual boost controller and set to 12 psi. Install EGR and boost gauge. 10-15% power increase.

Stage two: Add intercooler, set boost to 15-20psi or so. Use a means of tricking MAP sensor to keep computer from going to fuel cut when boost exceeds 14psi. This can be done a few ways. Turn up spill valve 1/2 turn. Up to 50% power increase.

Front mount intercoolers will always be better than top mount for efficiency, as the front mount receives cool fresh air. Top mount will always be fighting engine bay heat (which rises naturally). Top mount is easier/cheaper which is the only attractive thing about it.
Thanks man, really appreciate the shared knowledge.
I'm having a hard time finding a shop that is willing/able to take on this type of work, and also someone to give the truck a mechanical thorough inspection... compression, etc.
Do you have a shop that you use for such things, or are you as handy as you sound and do your own work?
Thanks again!

Thanks man, really appreciate the shared knowledge.
I'm having a hard time finding a shop that is willing/able to take on this type of work, and also someone to give the truck a mechanical thorough inspection... compression, etc.
Do you have a shop that you use for such things, or are you as handy as you sound and do your own work?
Thanks again!

You're welcome.

I do all my own mechanical work, and have a good machinist/welder friend who helps with fabrication stuff (like my intercooler).

In terms of shops that do mechanical work, I always recommend this shop in Victoria: Home - https://simoesauto.ca/

I don't think they'll do fabrication for intercoolers etc. though. You'll have to search around for someone who could do that. Could try asking John at Rocky Mountain Imports for ideas. He may know someone.

Stage one: Scrap EGR system, buy manual boost controller and set to 12 psi. Install EGT and boost gauge. 10-15% power increase.

Still looking at this, and wondering if you think that installing a hood scoop would eliminate the heat soak aspect of a top mount? I don't love the idea of cutting into that hood, but given the ease of the install etc, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Thanks, GTSS!

Still looking at this, and wondering if you think that installing a hood scoop would eliminate the heat soak aspect of a top mount? I don't love the idea of cutting into that hood, but given the ease of the install etc, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Thanks, GTSS!

Sadly that is the only way to make them even half useful. You need a fan to draw in air from hood scoop and push through the top mount intercooler. Without a fan, hot air from the engine pay will pass through the intercooler and out the vent. It becomes an interheater then, lol.

Adown side of the top mount with fan, is it further pressurizes your engine compartment, making the front fan a bit less effective also. There's only so many places for all that air to go.

For all the hassle, just go front mount! Go to an air/water setup if you don't want to run air charge pipes.

I had an MR2 supercharged a few years ago. It comes with a OEM top mount intercooler. It ceased to do anything at all after the first 10min of driving. Just became heatsoaked and the engine pulled timing and lost power. I bought a different intercooler and put it underneath the engine, and it was a game changer. Never had heat soak after that; power was always there.

Some 1KZTEs actually came with a factory air/water intercooler. Would be neat to get parts from one.... Not sure they'd fit in a KZJ78 tho:

hello,i dont have a KZJ78 but ive install 2 front mount intercooler on 2 LJ78 and they are not very hard todo,even kept the air condition.also did many fmic on 60 series and 70 series,you can do the piping from a kit and some 45 and 90 silicon hose,i cut and tig some of my pipes.
when i first got my hdj81 15 yrs ago,installed boost and pyrometer gauges and i couldnt tow anything more that 2000 lbs as the egt just skyrocket,mounted a top mount intercooler,cut the hood and install a hood scoop and that made all the defference,i also have the Gturbo and run 20 psi boost for last 10 yrs. so a fmic setup is not that hard to do,always looks harded until i just take the 2.5"aluminiumtubing and start pointing them at different directions under the hood...

hello,i dont have a KZJ78 but ive install 2 front mount intercooler on 2 LJ78 and they are not very hard todo,even kept the air condition.also did many fmic on 60 series and 70 series,you can do the piping from a kit and some 45 and 90 silicon hose,i cut and tig some of my pipes.
when i first got my hdj81 15 yrs ago,installed boost and pyrometer gauges and i couldnt tow anything more that 2000 lbs as the egt just skyrocket,mounted a top mount intercooler,cut the hood and install a hood scoop and that made all the defference,i also have the Gturbo and run 20 psi boost for last 10 yrs. so a fmic setup is not that hard to do,always looks harded until i just take the 2.5"aluminiumtubing and start pointing them at different directions under the hood...
LJ78/79 vs KZJ78/71. the 2L/3L vs 1KZ use a different air cleaner box. LJ78/79 shapes like a AA battery , mean while the kzj are like tuna can. alot more space available for the smaller air cleaner box. then installing in the front will require some work on the aircon pipes. tmic wont be as efficient as the fmic but it avoid the road blocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom