More Power from a 1KZ TE

BTV

Good day, all knowing Brethren.
So, I'm looking at ways of getting more power out of my KZJ78. I have installed a new exhaust, done the EGR delete, but with the larger tires (33's), I find the rig struggling a bit going up hills and maintaining 90-100 km/h. To do so, I see the EGT's creep up past 1250, so I often ease off the pedal to keep them down. I plan on towing a light boat with it soon, and eventually a tear drop RV, so that will require more power to maintain good highway speeds.
What's the safest, and most cost effective way of getting more power out of these engines? Chip? More boost? Ideas?
More power tends to mean more heat, so I'm guessing an intercooler is on the list also. Has the debate been settled on front mount vs top mount?
Thanks for your shared knowledge, I do appreciate it.
B

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Stage one: Scrap EGR system, buy manual boost controller and set to 12 psi. Install EGT and boost gauge. 10-15% power increase.

Stage two: Add intercooler, set boost to 15-20psi or so. Use a means of tricking MAP sensor to keep computer from going to fuel cut when boost exceeds 14psi. This can be done a few ways. Turn up spill valve 1/2 turn. Up to 50% power increase.

Stage three: Re-program ECU, upgrade turbo, 20-30psi. 50-100% power increase.

Front mount intercoolers will always be better than top mount for efficiency, as the front mount receives cool fresh air. Top mount will always be fighting engine bay heat (which rises naturally). Top mount is easier/cheaper which is the only attractive thing about it.

Last edited:

BTV

Stage one: Scrap EGR system, buy manual boost controller and set to 12 psi. Install EGR and boost gauge. 10-15% power increase.

Stage two: Add intercooler, set boost to 15-20psi or so. Use a means of tricking MAP sensor to keep computer from going to fuel cut when boost exceeds 14psi. This can be done a few ways. Turn up spill valve 1/2 turn. Up to 50% power increase.

Stage three: Re-program ECU, upgrade turbo, 20-30psi. 50-100% power increase.

Front mount intercoolers will always be better than top mount for efficiency, as the front mount receives cool fresh air. Top mount will always be fighting engine bay heat (which rises naturally). Top mount is easier/cheaper which is the only attractive thing about it.
Thanks man, really appreciate the shared knowledge.
I'm having a hard time finding a shop that is willing/able to take on this type of work, and also someone to give the truck a mechanical thorough inspection... compression, etc.
Do you have a shop that you use for such things, or are you as handy as you sound and do your own work?
Thanks again!

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Thanks man, really appreciate the shared knowledge.
I'm having a hard time finding a shop that is willing/able to take on this type of work, and also someone to give the truck a mechanical thorough inspection... compression, etc.
Do you have a shop that you use for such things, or are you as handy as you sound and do your own work?
Thanks again!

You're welcome.

I do all my own mechanical work, and have a good machinist/welder friend who helps with fabrication stuff (like my intercooler).

In terms of shops that do mechanical work, I always recommend this shop in Victoria: Home - https://simoesauto.ca/

I don't think they'll do fabrication for intercoolers etc. though. You'll have to search around for someone who could do that. Could try asking John at Rocky Mountain Imports for ideas. He may know someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom