Montana Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning A Trip From Virginia To Montana In August,,,,,
Spending Time In Augusta Along The Sun River

I Need Help Understanding Trail Options And Conditions

What Should I Do While There ,,,,i Will Camp Out Of My Fj62
Fly Fish For Food,,,,thats As Far As I Have Planned.

driving all the way from virgina? That is going to be one hell of a road trip. Dont know much about that area but sounds like it could be fun. I know licenses are expensive for out of staters but that could just be me. Good luck with the trip

Make a point to get into western Montana - You can't go wrong. I've got some friends that live in Whitefish (north of Bozeman/Missoula). It is amazing country and there are countless opportunities for exploration. You'll likely find yourself in a remote area at some point in your trip, so be sure to bring some extra gas with you, as "necessities" can be scarce.
My advice would be to purchase a Montana Gazetteer (available for pretty cheap on Amazon, etc.). This will give you basic maps of all roads and trails for a given area. Once you figure out what area you'd like to explore, contact the local enforcement agency (USFS, DNR, BIA, state timberlands, etc.) for additional information.
Glacier National Park is not to be missed! If you have the time/interest, plan for at least one day hike somewhere in Glacier. The trail to Grinnell Glacier out of Many Glacier on the east side of the park is an exceptional day hike! You can enjoy a sneek peak by "Googling" Grinnell Glacier. If you elect to camp in the park, plan ahead: there are times of the year when campsites are VERY scarce. You can book campsite reservations on-line.
If you find yourself in the Whitefish area on a Friday night, the Resort at Big Mountain offers free round-trip chair lift/gondola service to the summit. At the summit you will find a couple of bands, a full-on Bar-B-Que spread, friendly beers, and AMAZING views (to include a birds-eye rignt into the west side of Glacier NP). Again, if you've got the time...
Great trip - I don't expect you'll be disappointed!

Cook City above Red Lodge is also a great area to get off-road as well as being a very scenic drive. PM for trails
Micah

The Bitterroot valley on the Western side of the state is beautiful.

Never been there, but I've heard Glacier NP is some of the best scenery in the country.

Augusta is a beautiful place, just off the rocky front, not far from Rogers Pass, the place with the record low temp for the lower 48, (-72F) let us know your route and we will send you some trail locations along the way in Montana, if you take the south route as Micah suggested some very fun high elevation stuff, might even be able to join you, Larry

If you find Dead Horse, a bit south of Glacier - stop there and camp. Very beautiful and remote. Good chance you'll see wildlife.

JUust one note - Remember when sombody stops by your camp to tell you they will need to clear their muzzle loaders before heading to bed that means expect one hell of a racket just after you have had enough beers to forget they stopped by in the first place. :doh:

Also, St. Mary's Peak in the Bitterroots is a great day hike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom