Monstaliner regrets anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So guys: what's the prep like? Is the paint forgiving of a DIY prep job?
Would I be better off having someone do it? What's the timeline look at prep to last coat dry?

Prep is to scuff existing paint with a scotchbrite pad. My paint was really bad and flaking so I had to get sand paper involved and filled a few dents while I was at it. I spent 2 days scuffing and filling dents, 2 days masking and removing lights, door panels, etc, and 1 day to spray 3 coats. It's been 2.5 years and I don't have any regrets. I love it. I pressure wash it and scrub it with a brush every 2-3 months and just touch up the glass and lights by hand between washes. Don't have to worry about scratches or water spots.

I wanted to do it "right" and did all door jambs and little nooks and crannies which added a lot of prep time. If you don't care that much or aren't doing a drastically different color you could probably skip those details and get it all done in a weekend.

Like @TRAIL TAILOR, I wanted a smoother finish, but still some texture.
Here are some pics from when I first did it
Here are some showing the texture
I'm in the central valley. If you ever come this way and want to check it out in person let me know.

@jcardona1 and a bunch of 80 guys monstaline their crap. Not my thing tho
Wouldn't mind hearing from any NorCal boys on their experience..

fmUtGC9h.png

8paoZ8P.jpg

I didn't use Monstaliner, but I did paint my 100 in Raptor Liner. The prep was the worst part - spent an entire day sanding and taping. Applying the liner was actually the easiest part (I used a compressor and sprayed the entire rig with three coats). I'd never done any sort of vehicle painting before, so this was definitely a first time job, and I think it turned out pretty well. I hoped the grey color would've been a little darker, but I'm still happy with the outcome. I'll probably go back and add a few additional coats after this year's wheeling season is over, but I love the look and it's definitely durable as hell.

uy4dJjr.jpg

0egoo5F.jpg

JH2qQin.jpg

where did you get those rear quarters? I NEED THOSE!
They were custom built by a local shop that closed down a few years ago.

I did my whole 4runner in Raptor Liner Black. Prep work took a day and a half and the spray took half a day. I get tons of compliments but I wouldn't do it again on the Land Cruiser. It is nicer than fading paint, cheap, and very durable, but it doesn't look as nice as a regular paint job. Black Raptor Liner takes a gray color as soon as it is dirty FYI.

20200227_194338.jpg

No.

63F8E5F4-E46E-4759-91FB-6B9F8BE94370.jpeg

I just bought this 80 and PO put liner on hood , sides, wheel arches and the steel bumpers, It looks hideous up close and will cost me a lot more to have it removed and painted. Don’t do it. I’d rather wait and drive around with faded paint until I save enough to get a regular paint job.

Raptorlined my 100 last June, so had it on for a year more or less. Loved it because it was significantly cheaper than a normal paint job, and durable for trail runs and school parking lots. Prep and sprayed in sections, started with pulling the hood, then the left fender/door, rear door and quarter then finally everything else. Wished I sprayed it all at once, and a bit thicker. Raptor makes spray cans for touch up purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom