Modifying NATO can nozzles for unleaded filler restrictions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cube Dweller

Threads
Came across a couple Swiss Jerry can nozzles and decided to mod them for the unleaded filler restriction in the 80. Apologies for not taking pictures during the process, but it's pretty straightforward.

1. Obtain a hunk of 3/4 copper pipe and a hunk of 3/4 copper refer tubing. Cut to desired length, deburr and clean. You'll also need solder and flux. The best way to find refer tubing is to trade a 6 pack of :beer: to an HVAC mechanic for a hunk. You don't want to buy a roll or stick. A stick would be preferable to the coiled version I used since the coiled is pretty soft. Use what you can get.

2. Unscrew the filter assembly from the nozzle. I recommend cutting off the serrated section, since you'll be lengthening the nozzle and will have a section to grab on to if you need to remove the filter to clean it. In my pics below you can see I cut one and left one intact. The intact one was more of a PITA to solder.

3. Clean the inside of the nozzle down to the screen. I used a round wire brush designed for cleaning the inside of copper pipe.

4. Apply liberal amounts of flux to the inside of the nozzle and outside of the CU pipe. I used Nokorode™

5. Slide the 3/4 pipe into the screen assembly. The assembly is tapered so it won't hit the screen.

6. Solder the 3/4 pipe to the screen assembly. I used 50/50 solder since it has a lower melt point than 95/5 and I wanted to keep the solder on the screen from melting and popping off. A smaller heating tip would be helpful too.

7. After the assembly cools, apply flux to the inside of the CU pipe and the outside of the 3/4 refer tubing. Slide the refer tubing into the CU pipe and solder.

8. Enjoy.
nozzle1.jpg
nozzle2.jpg

That is pretty cool. I had been wondering how I was going to make it work for unleaded filler necks.

back in the day.....you could just punch out the filler plug and it would take regular

Vehicle that take Unleaded fuel have small filler holes (Maybe 1").

Older Vehicles that take Leaded fuel have Large filler holes (2").

Some Nato fuel can spouts come with large spouts to fill the large filler hoses but they do not fit on the small filler hoses.

Does that nozzle [pictured] have a good vent tube incorporated into it?

I like the look of the longer internal vent tube on the Swiss nozzle. It appears that it would do a better job of venting without dripping because it would reach into the air pocket of a NATO can.

Last edited:
Yes the long Swiss nozzle has a good vent tube and it dose fit in the nato cans. I have one that I soldered the end of one of the cheap nozzles on so it fits my unleaded neck, and I think it will drain a nato can as fast or faster than most station pumps without spilling a drop! When we add fuel on runs everyone waits for my nozzle its such a pleasure to use.

back in the day.....you could just punch out the filler plug and it would take regular
That worked fine until you had to get a smog check. As soon as unleaded only vehicles came out they started checking for the fuel restrictor here in Nevada.

Back then you could get a plastic funnel looking thingy that fit the end of a regular Blitz can spout, <cough>pump nozzle<cough> the other side fit into an Unleaded filler neck. This was very handy back when only a few stations had unleaded pumps and none of the the stations in the sticks did.

swiss gas can nozzle
swiss army as them back in stock as of 10'/17/11
just ordered one
also found a german nato nozzle it for the big hole can thats in the middle of the top not the small hole kind on the side

Ausgießer Trichter 20Ltr. Kanister große Öffnung Benzin Diesel ÖL
on german ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom