Moab Shake down??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone going to take a run?

I'd like to get out... I'm not going to moab and I have to see if the fam is well enough to not put me in the doghouse for leaving... interested in what everyone decides...

-john

So I guess John and are he only ones going? Met a guy at AT today, just bought a FJC, said going to the Pureco in the morning. Not sure about time, but I would guess 9 or so. Check in the morning. I gave himn the club info.

Last edited:
Just spoke to John, I'm in. I'm not exactly moving fast but I'd like to make a run to check things out on my suspension.

yeah running slow as well. but still going... gotta get the fam in gear...

guessing leaving here by 10 and an hour to the puerco? say 11 at the end of southern?

yeah, that sounds about good to me. Rudy, you copy?

whaddya say daisy? you in?

i'll be on cb channel 40 too btw.

i'm leaving now... going to stop and get gas and some food for lunch later. should be at the airdown ~11

Hope you guys got back before the storm rolled in. I was out on the west mesa just S. of Northern about half way to the escaprtment (shooting model rockets with the kids) when things got a little ugly. I've been in one flashflood in the Puerco and wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

Hope you guys got back before the storm rolled in. I was out on the west mesa just S. of Northern about half way to the escaprtment (shooting model rockets with the kids) when things got a little ugly. I've been in one flashflood in the Puerco and wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

yeah thanks Greg, we were out before it. Ended up just being Ali and I for rigs... we were back at the lot about 3. we had fun, man what a labyrinth! only casuality was my transmission now has a HUGE lag shifting 2-3, free spins like neutral almost a second before engaging... at first i had lost 3rd completely... not sure when it happened on the way back, noticed it at some point but don't know exactly when since i spent so much of the time in 1-2... so i'm going to drop the pan, change the fluid and replace my stretched kickdown cable... solenoids and TCM next if that does nothing.

anyone had experience with the A442F and have this sound familiar?

-j

Last edited:
Sounds like solenoids. C-Dan has a post on it somewhere in the 80-Section. He has the same tranny that yours has.

-Mike-

Sounds like solenoids. C-Dan has a post on it somewhere in the 80-Section. He has the same tranny that yours has.

-Mike-

yeah thanks, i think i saw that one... i'll go back and look closer again. IIRC they were talking about not starting in first or something goofy which i haven't had "yet" but certainly makes sense which solenoid dies affects what happens...:D

:cheers:

-Mike-

Found it!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/1579-they-all-break-something-even-mine-2.html

I've developed the a similar issue in the 4Runner:crybaby: I dropped the pan last weekend and cleaned the solenoids with brake clean and wiped out the debris in the pan...no chunks but enough fine particles. It's got 180k and I'm not sure I can get it back to NM in a few weeks with it shifting funny. The cleaning job worked for 2 days and back to engine codes and bad shifting.

Found it!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/1579-they-all-break-something-even-mine-2.html

I've developed the a similar issue in the 4Runner:crybaby: I dropped the pan last weekend and cleaned the solenoids with brake clean and wiped out the debris in the pan...no chunks but enough fine particles. It's got 180k and I'm not sure I can get it back to NM in a few weeks with it shifting funny. The cleaning job worked for 2 days and back to engine codes and bad shifting.

yeah good catch. i was right it was losing 1-2. i need to pull codes still :eek: i take it you have to short pins on the connector to see if there are any, ie i haven't seen anything on my dash for trans codes (ie funny OD light) and i can't remember what the FSM said, i'll look once i am home again. mine has 187k

bummer on the 4runner! it was scary enough driving it 60miles with the fam in it doing the funny shift. glad it wasn't any farther, especially if i HAD really lost 3rd like i thought at first. sounds like some solenoids are in your future. although you know, 2 days of driving :idea: you could pull WVA to here.... IIRC we did blacksburg to abq in 4 and those were comfy days in the seat. ;) hope it goes smoothly, let me know if you find any smoking guns!

:steer::cheers:

i take it you have to short pins on the connector to see if there are any, ie i haven't seen anything on my dash for trans codes (ie funny OD light) and i can't remember what the FSM said, i'll look once i am home again. mine has 187k

Mine should up as a check engine light and I used an odb2 code reader to get the code...P0758 solenoid b electrical
Next I'll preplace the solenoid, when it's cold it works fine it's just after warming up...

Mine should up as a check engine light and I used an odb2 code reader to get the code...P0758 solenoid b electrical
Next I'll preplace the solenoid, when it's cold it works fine it's just after warming up...

cool you get codes! i followed FSM to check trans computer codes and the silly thing thinks it's happy...

my saga has ended with a replaced kick down cable (while i was in there and i knew mine was stretched out), and new fluid... seems to do the trick so far, i'm going to go get a full ATF flush and hope i don't have this happen again. the fluid was REALLY bad.

my saga has ended with a replaced kick down cable (while i was in there and i knew mine was stretched out), and new fluid... seems to do the trick so far, i'm going to go get a full ATF flush and hope i don't have this happen again. the fluid was REALLY bad.

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I usually just do a drain and refill every other oil change or so. It will usually take about 4.5 quarts, out of a total capacity of about 8 quarts, if I recall correctly.

It's probably overkill, but the fluid always looks good and I've never had a problem with the tranny yet (knock on wood). The truck has a little over 183,000 miles now.

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I usually just do a drain and refill every other oil change or so. It will usually take about 4.5 quarts, out of a total capacity of about 8 quarts, if I recall correctly.

It's probably overkill, but the fluid always looks good and I've never had a problem with the tranny yet (knock on wood). The truck has a little over 183,000 miles now.

good to know, thanks Evan. i'm at 188k and i think i'll have it flushed with plain ol stuff and make sure that fixes my problems before i slowly move over to synthetic on the every couple oil changes routine. i'd to lose any of that synthetic gold if i have to muck with it again... fingers crossed.

oh and IIRC drain and fill on the A442F is ~7 qts, total flush capacity is over 16 qts! :eek: i got ~9 qts with dropping the pan and valve body.

btw i have the A442F service manual in pdf if anyone ever needs it.

Where do you find this Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? I used some Castrol "Multi-purpose for Import Vehicles" at the last drain and fill. The dipstick and FSM specify Dexron-II or III. The bottle states it meets Dexron-III H and older specs. My truck has the same 4-speed trans as the later model 80's and when I pull the plug I get about 4 QTS. Total capacity is something in the area of 13 QTS.

Where do you find this Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? I used some Castrol "Multi-purpose for Import Vehicles" at the last drain and fill. The dipstick and FSM specify Dexron-II or III. The bottle states it meets Dexron-III H and older specs. My truck has the same 4-speed trans as the later model 80's and when I pull the plug I get about 4 QTS. Total capacity is something in the area of 13 QTS.

yeah IIRC the A442F's (91-94) "bus trans" get 6-7 qts on drain, where the 95+ A434 (or 343, can't remember) get ~4-5 qts on drain refill...

i refilled with autozone generic atf that meets dex III+ (my 442 needs dex II or better) and earlier specs. i keep passing out whenever i see synthetic atf <price> so i couldn't tell you where i've seen it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom