Moab Shake down??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i keep passing out whenever i see synthetic atf <price> so i couldn't tell you where i've seen it either.

Maybe it's a good thing I haven't seen it yet.

I found the Mobil 1 ATF at Checker, Pep Boys, Auto-Zone, etc. I think most of them carry it, but some are cheaper than others. It's been quite a while since I bought any, but it seems like it ran about $6 a quart, plus or minus. If I notice a huge difference the next time I get any, I'll let you know.

Regarding the application (Dexron III, etc.), the bottles used to say Dexron 4 or 5, and lately the bottles had switched to say Mercon with no mention of Dexron. It seems I read somewhere that the fluid was the same, but that GM had restricted anyone from using the Dexron name for some reason. I don't recall the details, but I was comfortable running the fluid in my truck.

yeah IIRC the A442F's (91-94) "bus trans" get 6-7 qts on drain, where the 95+ A434 (or 343, can't remember) get ~4-5 qts on drain refill...
QUOTE]

Well, my '93 has the bus transmission, but I know it only used about 4.5 quarts when I did the drain and fill right before Moab. I've done it a number of times and it's usually between 4 and 5 quarts to refill.

I wouldn't mind getting the PDF of the service manual sometime. I'll send you a PM.

yeah IIRC the A442F's (91-94) "bus trans" get 6-7 qts on drain, where the 95+ A434 (or 343, can't remember) get ~4-5 qts on drain refill...
QUOTE]

Well, my '93 has the bus transmission, but I know it only used about 4.5 quarts when I did the drain and fill right before Moab. I've done it a number of times and it's usually between 4 and 5 quarts to refill.

I wouldn't mind getting the PDF of the service manual sometime. I'll send you a PM.

hmm i def got more than 4 qts, but cold or warm will change apparent volume too... shrug. i recall 6 in the FSM, but there is likely a qt+ left in the pan after a drain too. we both have 93's. i had closer to 9qts after draining, dropping the pan and dropping the valve body, and it just keep dripping ;)

yup you are welcome to it, i stumbled across it on the Internets...

Well I'm fixed!!! The solenoid replacement did the trick, no.2 was going to open curcuit when it was hot and no.1 tested low in ohms 10.5 (range 11-15) so I replaced both shifting solenoids but not the lockup solenoid...easy enough to get back into if needed + it cost almost as much as both of the shift solenoids.

I've been using Valvoline Max Life ATF fluid, the techs at work really like it and I've had good luck with it. I put 12 new quarts in the trans since the problem started and I'll probably do one more change before the trip back to ABQ. I think I'll start changing fluid every other oil change, the fluid was a little darker than i expected. I'd rather put $15 of aft fluid in every 10k miles an have the trans die an early death.:cool:

Well I'm fixed!!! The solenoid replacement did the trick, no.2 was going to open curcuit when it was hot and no.1 tested low in ohms 10.5 (range 11-15) so I replaced both shifting solenoids but not the lockup solenoid...easy enough to get back into if needed + it cost almost as much as both of the shift solenoids.

I've been using Valvoline Max Life ATF fluid, the techs at work really like it and I've had good luck with it. I put 12 new quarts in the trans since the problem started and I'll probably do one more change before the trip back to ABQ. I think I'll start changing fluid every other oil change, the fluid was a little darker than i expected. I'd rather put $15 of aft fluid in every 10k miles an have the trans die an early death.:cool:

nice! glad you got it figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom