Misc ramblings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm still learning about my FJ so bear with me....

-GPS III owners - how are you running your antenna and power wires? If you're using the external antenna, is it mounted outside or inside? If outside, how is the wire existing the vehicle? I assume you removed the front sunshades and the windshield pillar trim, got some slack on the headliner and ran the wires.

-Uniden 510Pro CB owners - if you don't use the stock stereo speaker for CB, then what are you using? From Christo's pics, was he using the dome light as a speaker? Didn't actually see that being mentioned anywhere.

-ARB locker owners - where did you drill the hole on the front diff for the air line? On top or bottom?

-Bug shield on front of the hood owners - Has this simple mod improved the "bug" effect on the windshield? I can see it'd help with stone chips on front of the hood.

-What are some of you doing for a constant power source up front? I'm aware of the rear ashtray cig lighter mod from Christo but has anyone converted the ignition switched cig lighter to always hot? How are you handling powering up multiple electronic gadgets besides using a 1 to 3 plug multiplier?

-while driving down the hwy, I slid my sun shade over and heard the wind noise through a closed sun roof. I assume my sunroof glass seal has shrunk due to age. Does this sound right?

-Is there a tech section where lots of pics and other info are located on this board? I'm aware of the search function but thought it'd be nice to have a section with all the different mods people are doing to their rigs. Just curous!

Party on.

15Sep2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=alia176 link=board=2;threadid=5278;start=msg41291#msg41291 date=1063609111]
I'm still learning about my FJ so bear with me....

-GPS III owners - how are you running your antenna and power wires? If you're using the external antenna, is it mounted outside or inside? If outside, how is the wire existing the vehicle? I assume you removed the front sunshades and the windshield pillar trim, got some slack on the headliner and ran the wires.
[/quote]

I have a similar GPS, but a GPS V. I used to have a snorkel-mounted antenna, but for the trouble and cost, it's not worth it. I get practically the same signal quality as the stock antenna set on the dashboard. But the snorkel antenna looked waaay cool though 8)

-ARB locker owners - where did you drill the hole on the front diff for the air line? On top or bottom?

Top, for my UZJ-100's front locker.

-Bug shield on front of the hood owners - Has this simple mod improved the "bug" effect on the windshield? I can see it'd help with stone chips on front of the hood.
Not really, but it did lessen the stone chips on the edge of my hood though. And it gives your 'Cruiser a different look (like it matters! :D ).

-What are some of you doing for a constant power source up front? I'm aware of the rear ashtray cig lighter mod from Christo but has anyone converted the ignition switched cig lighter to always hot? How are you handling powering up multiple electronic gadgets besides using a 1 to 3 plug multiplier?

I have a 3 to 1 multiplier, using to power my GPS, mobile phone, and radar detector. Works fine for several months now, but I'd hate the hassle of blowing a fuse if it happens!

-while driving down the hwy, I slid my sun shade over and heard the wind noise through a closed sun roof. I assume my sunroof glass seal has shrunk due to age. Does this sound right?

If I remember correctly, there's a TSB about this. There's a wind noise reduction kit to solve this, available for purchase from Toyota.

-Is there a tech section where lots of pics and other info are located on this board? I'm aware of the search function but thought it'd be nice to have a section with all the different mods people are doing to their rigs. Just curous!

Party on.

I think you've found the Slee site, but how about Lcool ?

Ali,
GPS III owners - how are you running your antenna and power wires? If you're using the external antenna, is it mounted outside or inside? If outside, how is the wire existing the vehicle? I assume you removed the front sunshades and the windshield pillar trim, got some slack on the headliner and ran the wires.
I ran my wires as you described - drilled a hole in the PS (US) roof and mounted the antennae on the roof rack I built.
-Uniden 510Pro CB owners - if you don't use the stock stereo speaker for CB, then what are you using? From Christo's pics, was he using the dome light as a speaker? Didn't actually see that being mentioned anywhere.
I mounted the speaker in the DS (US) dash where the stock tweeter was.
I use a 1 to 3 multiplier. Hard wired in a 1300 watt inverter and have a true sine 125 watt for the laptop.

[quote author=alia176 link=board=2;threadid=5278;start=msg41291#msg41291 date=1063609111]
[/quote]

Um, yeah, it's huge: http://www.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-tech.html

GPS III owners - how are you running your antenna and power wires? If you're using the external antenna, is it mounted outside or inside? If outside, how is the wire existing the vehicle? I assume you removed the front sunshades and the windshield pillar trim, got some slack on the headliner and ran the wires.
GPS V here. Had ant on snorkel - now scotch taped to dash. WOrks fine, will relocate to hood soon. Someday - but then again, said that about 3 mos ago too. :flipoff2:

They suck. Go elocker retrofit - otherwise top :flipoff2:

more of a stone chip prevent than anything else. Beware of it when backing up amongst trees. :-\ :flipoff2:

True sine wave 1,100 watt inverter and several full time hot 12V's here and there scattered around truck. GFCI plug in rear and small AC plug in dash too. :flipoff2: Multiple inputs just like yo momma. :flipoff2:
Lcool. Slee. Brodis page. George S page, here there everywhere. :flipoff2:

Party on.
Are you bill or ted? ??? :-\ :flipoff2:

Bug Shield - 'Weathertech' with very little reduction in dead love-bugs and deer flies.

GPS - Garmin III, mounted directly below rear view mirror using Garming swivel mount. Using no external antenna, but rather RG8 cable as 'extension'. Power wire run up mirror support, under headlined, down DS pillar, then to aux fuse block (switched).

Wind noise through a closed sun roof - Mine too. CDAN: PN for 'noise reduction kit' ?

Constant power up front - Aux buse block, 7 circuit, one 'constant' circuit powering the amazing dual-outlet-ashtray-mod. (BEO...still have a picture of it?)

Junk- care to expand on your "(ARB lockers) suck" statement? I was considering upgrading to ARB lockers as I've heard it is a very rugged setup. Are you speaking from experience?

Did they (diff shop) run the air line out of the bottom of the front diff? I know I don't have an 80, but I do have an 80 high pinion front diff in my 4Runner and the air line is ran out of the top of the diff where it should be. You can check it out if you want. Rick is going to talk to you about us getting together before you leave, so we'll talk more then. See Ya.

[quote author=alaskacruiser link=board=2;threadid=5278;start=msg41545#msg41545 date=1063673151]
Junk- care to expand on your "(ARB lockers) suck" statement? I was considering upgrading to ARB lockers as I've heard it is a very rugged setup. Are you speaking from experience?
[/quote]
Junk's about the only person I've heard of bashing on ARB's. Then again, hes on his second block while everyone else is happily chugging along on the 1st!
What seems to matter most is a quality installation.

Uh Bailey........... I'm on my second block too. 29k miles on the first one but that is the ONLY thing I have in common with Junk.
Bill

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=5278;start=msg41563#msg41563 date=1063677598]
Uh Bailey........... I'm on my second block too. 29k miles on the first one but that is the ONLY thing I have in common with Junk.
Bill
[/quote]
after peeking in your window tonight Photo, I would say we have more in common than you think :flipoff2:

[quote author=alaskacruiser link=board=2;threadid=5278;start=msg41545#msg41545 date=1063673151]
Junk- care to expand on your "(ARB lockers) suck" statement? [/quote]
OK, they REALLY suck. :flipoff2:

Search the threads - sorry dude, but I've typed that crap so much that I just can't do it any more. Also check for the opinions on pirate - Cruisin would see more than just me hate those pieces of crap.

Also Cruisin - I'm on my 3rd block. :flipoff2:

The issues I have spoken with you about on your ARB's Junk are install issues, more than ARB locker issues.

Just like the tyreloc issue, install is everything.......

I could see why you woudl think they were no good, when you dont actually wheel anywhere that requires lockers though Junk :flipoff2:

[quote author=the shed guy link=board=2;threadid=5278;start=msg41610#msg41610 date=1063686806]
The issues I have spoken with you about on your ARB's Junk are install issues, more than ARB locker issues.[/quote]
Some, not all. Question though for ya. Install is directly related to the product right? Like if I have the perfect product, but install is a beach, then how is the product rated. :-X :flipoff2: Dude, they've like been installed 3 different times by 2 different shops. Plus, a good portion is not related to the install. Plus, they never FINISHED the design - they refuse to improve an obvioulsy flawed design. You been hanging with the preach too long. No sermonizing here magic boy. :flipoff2:

Just like the tyreloc issue, install is everything.......
tireloc issue is up for grabs at this point, but at least spell it correctly will you? :flipoff2: Guess they ain't too good being that in the hard core area you were just saying someone else's was better. Gee, you're almost as easy as the suv dudes. :flipoff2:

I could see why you woudl think they were no good, when you dont actually wheel anywhere that requires lockers though Junk :flipoff2:
..... and who is the one that bagged on coming over here with a freebie loaner 80 beater? :flipoff2: Go crawl back in the pramry and run over to the magic shop. :banana::flipoff2:

>> (BEO...still have a picture of it?) <<

Nope... or more likely I just can't find it. I'm sure it's somewhere on this 80GB drive but I just can't find it.

:p

-B-

Junk,
after peeking in your window tonight Photo, I would say we have more in common than you think

Sorry you had to see yo momma AND yo sis.

Not to get you more prematurely excited than you already are but what is it about the design that is flawed. I've seen you mention the design flaw before and was just curious as to what it is.
Bill

give ya a hint Photo - a. 9s related to GEAR OIL :flipoff2:, b. is related to pressure, c. is related to the internals and d. would be it's made in OZ and nothing good has ever come from there. :flipoff2: :D (for shed dude).

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=5278;start=msg41746#msg41746 date=1063724982]
give ya a hint Photo - a. 9s related to GEAR OIL :flipoff2:, b. is related to pressure, c. is related to the internals and d. would be it's made in OZ and nothing good has ever come from there. :flipoff2: :D (for shed dude).
[/quote]

1. There is a new seal for the inside of the locker that cures some of the oil issues.

2. Did you ever check the pressure in your air system?

You should know by now Christo, Junk dont do techno stuff....:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom