Mini truck front disks or whole new axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I am wanting my 72 fj40 to stop straight and i've come to the conclusion that disk brakes are the answer. For about twice the price of a minitruck conversion i could buy a whole new landcruiser axle with disk brakes. would you guys recommend spending the extra cash (bear in mind i'm a starving student) for heavier duty brakes? thanks

Cruiser axel swap is easier.
Minitruck (and 79 up FJ40 and FJ60) knuckles are stronger and more choices for high steer arms.
You can use cruiser vented rotors and HD calipers on the mini hubs.

[quote author=72FJ40 link=board=1;threadid=12906;start=msg118874#msg118874 date=1078963181]
Hi all, I am wanting my 72 fj40 to stop straight and i've come to the conclusion that disk brakes are the answer. For about twice the price of a minitruck conversion i could buy a whole new landcruiser axle with disk brakes. would you guys recommend spending the extra cash (bear in mind i'm a starving student) for heavier duty brakes? thanks
[/quote]

For the $$ I would go with the mini parts swap. Pin Head nailed it with some good points, but also consider the stronger birf. From the mini along with the stronger Asian hubs that will come with it. (they also don’t stick out as much as the Warn hubs) This will force you to lightly grind your cruiser axel housing a bit to clear the bigger birfs. But you might consider this anyway since most trail spares are mini birfs. (just more of them)

If the disks and calipers are clean enough to use, put them to work! There are a lot of cruisers sporting the mini solid rotors and not having any problems with them. And as Pin Head pointed out down the road you can upgrade to the cruiser vented rotors if you want, and the larger V6 calipers too if you needed.

Good luck!

Mark

I just today finished changing over my front axle of my FJ40 to FJ60 parts to standardize my cruisers and upgrade to Longfields. That means I have a complete disk brake set-up from my '76 FJ40 for sale. This includes everything, knuckles, hubs, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, fine spline birfields, steering arms and Warn locking hubs. All of it good working parts, and tested on the Rubicon. This is a great set-up for a pre '76 Cruiser. PM if interested. If not, I'll list in a few days in the for sale section.

I bought a used mini truck axle for $100 took what I needed and I was done. I got new brake lines and new pads. so I was into it about $130. The axle swap is a lot easier but maybe not cheaper.

- Rico.

IMO, minitruck. I actually swapped the disc system from a 77 disc axle over to minitruck knuckles to run the larger steering arms.

I did the mini truck on mine and love it. I paid $150 for the whole set up and then turned around and sold the housing and third member for $100. If you can find an 85 the housing is reinforced and probably easy to get rid of

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=1;threadid=12906;start=msg119146#msg119146 date=1078982295]
I just today finished changing over my front axle of my FJ40 to FJ60 parts to standardize my cruisers and upgrade to Longfields. That means I have a complete disk brake set-up from my '76 FJ40 for sale. This includes everything, knuckles, hubs, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, fine spline birfields, steering arms and Warn locking hubs. All of it good working parts, and tested on the Rubicon. This is a great set-up for a pre '76 Cruiser. PM if interested. If not, I'll list in a few days in the for sale section.
[/quote]

This set up would fit right into my axle housing? no grinding or anything?
thanks for the info

Yes-the '76 birf will fit right in, no grinding, but don't let that make your decision. The grinding involved takes 5 minutes or less with an angle grinder. I did send you an email about the parts. Just let me know.

the 76 birf drops right in....now, break it on the trail once and you'll forever regret that you didn't grind the opening to fit a 79+/minitruck birf, since the huge majority of trail spares are sizes slightly larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom