Miles vs. Maintenance in shopping for an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all

Been lurking for a while reading up before taking the plunge and buying an 80 and am looking for some opinions. Undoubtedly a well cared for 80 will run as long as funds and desire allow. However, I'm curious how your experiences have been buying a rig that obviously wasnt someone's pride and joy before you bought it.

Theres a 97 LX450 in a local grocery store paking lot with a forsale sign. Been there for at least 6 weeks and hasnt moved an inch - dirty, bruised and obviously a kid hauler not an offroader. Seller hasnt even bothered to remove their personal junk let alone give it a vacuum or scrub. The only reason I drive by slow and drool is the possibility of getting a good deal. 109K miles and an asking price of $8888. Between the poor presentation and gas prices I wonder if anyone has even called about it.

I havent called either by the way - would you?

The bad - no lockers, front axle ends weaping and an obvious engine oil leak of unknown origin, tweaked front bumper with rattle can spray painted corner and what appears to be rustoleum covering a silver dollar sized rust spot on the front of hood (stone chip gone wild?) misc door dings, scratches and kid funk throughout

The good - Cheap before negotiating, been sitting a while, low miles, badges of local lexus dealer leading me to believe its a local southern car, at some point the owner sprung for michelins instead of off brand tires and they're only about half worn Somewher in this truck's past someone had to spend money on it right?

The ugly - I already have a truck that gets 15mpg that I wont be selling - The only cheap cars to own are boring cars :)

Hey all

Been lurking for a while reading up before taking the plunge and buying an 80 and am looking for some opinions. Undoubtedly a well cared for 80 will run as long as funds and desire allow. However, I'm curious how your experiences have been buying a rig that obviously wasnt someone's pride and joy before you bought it.

Theres a 97 LX450 in a local grocery store paking lot with a forsale sign. Been there for at least 6 weeks and hasnt moved an inch - dirty, bruised and obviously a kid hauler not an offroader. Seller hasnt even bothered to remove their personal junk let alone give it a vacuum or scrub. The only reason I drive by slow and drool is the possibility of getting a good deal. 109K miles and an asking price of $8888. Between the poor presentation and gas prices I wonder if anyone has even called about it.

I havent called either by the way - would you?

The bad - no lockers, front axle ends weaping and an obvious engine oil leak of unknown origin, tweaked front bumper with rattle can spray painted corner and what appears to be rustoleum covering a silver dollar sized rust spot on the front of hood (stone chip gone wild?) misc door dings, scratches and kid funk throughout

The good - Cheap before negotiating, been sitting a while, low miles, badges of local lexus dealer leading me to believe its a local southern car, at some point the owner sprung for michelins instead of off brand tires and they're only about half worn Somewher in this truck's past someone had to spend money on it right?

The ugly - I already have a truck that gets 15mpg that I wont be selling - The only cheap cars to own are boring cars :)

It sounds like it could be a good deal. They will take $7500 no questions. That's a lot of truck for $7500, and low miles as well.

The lack of factory lockers is good if anything. Use it to force down the price, and remember that ARBs are better anyway IF you have a need for lockers. 80s flex so well, that they will go a ton of places with no lockers, that other rigs need lockers.

The really ugly is that this truck will not get 15mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom