Mileage milestone reached this week! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2C1E1CFD-5AB2-4085-AF5D-2112092FF5A1.jpeg
A4C6722A-6A79-497E-9711-DCACF0C39388.jpeg

Now if only I could get rid of that pesky CEL! Did pretty much everything I set out to do in my intro thread: new tires, Timing Belt, Heater Ts, brakes, all fluids, and fresh coat of paint. So far the experience has been great and am loving this truck more with every mile.

So…. What’s the cel code reading?
P0171. Running lean in bank 1. Haven’t been able to figure it out. Two smoke tests have uncovered zero leaks. From the threads I’ve read, could be any number of things. Just depends on how far down the wormhole I’m willing to go with throwing new parts at it. Engine runs great, fires right up and idles perfectly. But what damage am I doing by not addressing it. With the low mileage it has sat for long periods. What has worn out during that time? Hoses, gaskets, valves, fittings. But which one, or combinations of those, are causing the problem? So frustrating. I’m thinking of starting with the MAF sensor and going from there.

New Gas Cap? Thanks for sharing. What a creampuff

Now that you have broken it in......

Let us know when you reach 600,000. ;)

Last edited:
Are you in Milwaukee, as in Milwaukee WI? You gotta stop by in our local club and say hi: WI- Land Cruiser Legends - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/wi-land-cruiser-legends.23/page-13

As for P0171 - I bet it is sucking air on the intake side somewhere. You can try replacing the pre-Cat O2 sensors but I doubt they are bad. When mine had this issue (albeit at 250k miles :p ) I replaced the spark plugs, MAF sensor, coils, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, all vacuum lines, fuel injector o rings and seals, gas cap and PCV valve and hoses. Didn't make a difference until I replaced the intake gaskets.

Are you in Milwaukee, as in Milwaukee WI? You gotta stop by in our local club and say hi: WI- Land Cruiser Legends - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/wi-land-cruiser-legends.23/page-13

As for P0171 - I bet it is sucking air on the intake side somewhere. You can try replacing the pre-Cat O2 sensors but I doubt they are bad. When mine had this issue (albeit at 250k miles :p ) I replaced the spark plugs, MAF sensor, coils, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, all vacuum lines, fuel injector o rings and seals, gas cap and PCV valve and hoses. Didn't make a difference until I replaced the intake gaskets.
Thank you for the link and the suggestions on the CEL. Hoping to start troubleshooting in a few weeks with fingers crossed.

So some great news this week, the original exhaust finally rusted through just behind the catalytic converter so I had everything replaced. While the work was being done, I told by indy about the CEL issue and told him to through his best guess at it. So after a new exhaust and the install of a new air flow meter, on CEL light anymore. There is a significant improvement in the fuel delivery, acceleration, and throttle response. I must say, the beast feels like it just drove off the showroom floor. What a difference!

I know this is an older thread, but when I had that code it ended up being the fuel pump. Sounds like your issue is resolved…

Is the CEL cuz you don't drive it enough?

Been daily driving it since I got it, have about 67,000 miles to date. The CEL issue has been resolved and I haven’t had a single issue since it was diagnosed and fixed. Now having my catalytic converters sawed off in front of my house, that’s another story. I’ve been lowering the suspension every night to at least make it a little more difficult.

Been daily driving it since I got it, have about 67,000 miles to date. The CEL issue has been resolved and I haven’t had a single issue since it was diagnosed and fixed. Now having my catalytic converters sawed off in front of my house, that’s another story. I’ve been lowering the suspension every night to at least make it a little more difficult.
I was actually kidding. It blows me away when I see trucks this old with such low mileage. I bought my '06 4 years ago with 59K on it and now have 125K. Enjoy your "new" rig!

There’s a 2003 LX470 on cars and bids right now with 29,500 miles. Now that’s unreal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom