Mig wire jams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex Waddell

SILVER Star
Threads
OK, I am a newbie to mig welding and the wire keeps bunching up and gets jamed at the drive roller.
I am using .025" wire in my Lincoln 210 MP that automatically selects the wire speed given what I am welding (140 in/min).
I am also using nozzle jel to keep spatter from collecting on the nozzle.
This is what the jams look like.
20220108_193736.jpg

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Tensioner seems to be too tight, or the liner in the lead to the gun is worn out.

Tensioner seems to be too tight, or the liner in the lead to the gun is worn out.
By the tensioner, do you mean the pressure from the top roller pushing on the bottom roller or the wire spool tensioner?
I slowed the feed speed down to 125"/min from 140"/min and it didn't jamb up right away. The gun is pretty new so I hope that it isn’t worn out already.

Which side of the roller is pictured? Spool side or opposite? Never mind I see the arrow. Does the tip diameter match the wire diameter?

Which side of the roller is pictured? Spool side or opposite? Never mind I see the arrow. Does the tip diameter match the wire diameter?
The wire moves from right to left in the photo in in the same direction as the arrow in the guide casting. And yes, the tip diameter matches the wire diameter.

To me, that looks like a liner problem. The roller tension helps push the wire out the liner.
I suppose the wheel could be catching the wire and dragging it down too.

Open the tension roller and see how hard it is to pull the wire through by hand.

To me, that looks like a liner problem. The roller tension helps push the wire out the liner.
I suppose the wheel could be catching the wire and dragging it down too.

Open the tension roller and see how hard it is to pull the wire through by hand.
How easy should it be to pull the wire? There is a spring loaded knob that tensions the drive roller but I didn’t know how to adjust it.

Take the contact tube off and blow out the liner with compressed air. I usually do whenever I change wire.

Make sure the drive roller isn't too tight or it may crush/distort the wire. It just needs to be tight enough that it doesn't slip.

Try running the wire through with the contact tube off and see if you still have a problem. I've had the contact tube get nasty and the wire stick.

Make sure there isn't any misalignment of the grooves to the slot and the opening to the lead.

Any black specs coming with wire out of the stinger? Liner out.
As far as wire feed tension, mine is not tight by any means.

Call Lincoln's 1-800 # on the machine or manual. I use a miller/hobart but they are always helpful to assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom