Mid-2010s 200 or newer Tacoma Trd pro? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mudders,

I’m stuck — in early 2023, I’m moving to Guyana (South America) for a couple years. Wife. 2 teen boys. Dog (German shorthaired pointer).

I have a ‘99 100 series that we love. It’s generally reliable/our only vehicle/daily driver, but I want stress-free driving.

With a budget around $55k, do I:

A) go with a mid 2010s 200 (probably wife’s preferred option) with 100k miles or less. As you all know, has all the options.

B) go with a newish Tacoma Trd pro with less than 25k miles. (Wife wants leather, heated seats; I like the stance/fox shocks/general look/fox shocks/resale value)

C) something else

Appreciate all hot-takes.

This is a 200 forum after all, so I assume you can guess how the responses are going to go..

To me, I don’t know how these 2 vehicles would be cross shopped. If you need a truck then by all means get a Tacoma. But if you need a world class SUV, the Tacoma is not that, even with leather. It’s still just a small-ish truck..

I suspect the only other real consideration for me would be which truck could be worked on easiest in a remote-ish part of the world. I don’t know the answer to that.

Leather/Heated seats in Guyana?
This is a 200 forum after all, so I assume you can guess how the responses are going to go..

To me, I don’t know how these 2 vehicles would be cross shopped. If you need a truck then by all means get a Tacoma. But if you need a world class SUV, the Tacoma is not that, even with leather. It’s still just a small-ish truck..

I suspect the only other real consideration for me would be which truck could be worked on easiest in a remote-ish part of the world. I don’t know the answer to that.
Thx for the reply. Toyota is #1 in Guyana so no real issue with maintenance there.

Ha good catch. We plan to bring it back to DC area when done. Not a ship down to Guyana, dump, plan.

Have you looked into purchasing a vehicle there locally? Not sure what your going down there for? If State Dept, Peace Corp, etc. some countries wave taxes and fees.

Also, when I was stationed in England, I ordered a US Spec Mazda from the local dealer, and had it shipped back to the USA a year later. Even with the shipping, I saved a few thousand dollars.

Last edited:
Have you looked into purchasing a vehicle there locally? Not sure what your going down there for? If State Dept, Peace Corp, etc. some countries wave taxes and fees.
Great question. Prices are outrageous. I am eligible for US govt import exemptions, so buying there (as Guyana booms from Exxon’s oil discoveries) is not feasible. I had hoped it was… I wanted to try out a Japan Domestic/RHD ride for a few years.

Maybe just me, but Taco's are toys compared to 200-series. One is a basic level truck with economy fitments, drivetrain, and has some off-road chops. The other is a top of the line SUV with full time 4WD and off-road chops. Other than off-roadability, they're at far ends of several different spectrums, and I personally don't find them comparable.

Sounds like you have some other considerations in the tradespace?

Ooh! Ooh! Easy, just get this:

1670777507882.png

Maybe just me, but Taco's are toys compared to 200-series. One is a basic level truck with economy fitments, drivetrain, and has some off-road chops. The other is a top of the line SUV with full time 4WD and off-road chops. Other than off-roadability, they're at far ends of several different spectrums, and I personally don't find them comparable.

Really sound logic here. Given that I don’t intend to off-road it and family comfort is probably priority #1 for this, then the 200 seems like the better bet. But… should 100k miles 200 series vs an almost new Tacoma be a cause for concern? What maintenance cost are people seeing at 100k ish on a 200. I’ve had an 80 and a 100. Familiar with those, but a 200 is new for me.

As someone who just came out of a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-road and has been shopping for a LX to replace it, the 200 series has a substantially larger feeling cabin. The cramped cabin space was the main reason for selling the Tacoma. I never had any issue with the quality of the interior appointments but also understood it was $40k pickup truck, not a premium/luxury truck/SUV.

As someone who just came out of a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-road and has been shopping for a LX to replace it, the 200 series has a substantially larger feeling cabin. The cramped cabin space was the main reason for selling the Tacoma. I never had any issue with the quality of the interior appointments but also understood it was $40k pickup truck, not a premium/luxury truck/SUV.
I think that would be my regret… Cabin size. We’ve sat in the Tacoma (4 + dog). It’s tight.

Have you been to Guyana yet? When I lived there for a while I drove a 2004 Hilux and loved it, RHD manual and all. Can you buy something used locally? I don’t think I would take a Tacoma there, I don’t know how much dealer support you would have. I don’t recall seeing many 200 series there either, it was mostly 70 series land cruisers

Don’t forget it’s a RHD country. It was weird enough to learn to drive on the “wrong” side of the road in a car properly set up for it. LHD in a RHD world would add some complexity

Additionally it’s a poor country - second only to Haiti in the Western Hemisphere as far as I know. I had a peaceful time there especially compared to time I spent in Trinidad & Tobago but as an American I do think it’s good to keep a lower profile in countries like that. A lot of the locals drive used cars imported from Japan, Nissan X Trails were everywhere.

It’s also a very small country, 90% of the population is on the coast and unless you’re heading into the interior, will you be doing much driving? Maybe your 100 series would be fine.

Specifically talking about vehicles, I had a 100 series and I currently have both a Tacoma and a 200 series. The 200 is a huge improvement over the 100 in just about every way except now I don’t want to take the 200 offroad and get it scratched. Ha.

My wife hates the size of the Tacoma and even with two kids under 7, we never use it for family trips and it’s basically only used for my work and for my solo camping trips. I don’t think I would try to fit teenage kids or a dog in it. Haha. I do like it though, it’s a perfect size for most trails and I love the 6 speed manual. Probably gonna supercharge it soon.

Anyway not sure if that helps. My advice is something local and low pro, and definitely with working AC!

But if you want to import I would go with a 200. I doubt you would even need much work done in just a couple years - and even if they don’t support the 3UR in the Guyanese market I’m sure they could order in parts or you could buy from the US and have them shipped in.

Last edited:
Buy a 70 series ute there, bring it back for me when you return. Perfect!

Have you been to Guyana yet? When I lived there for a while I drove a 2004 Hilux and loved it, RHD manual and all. Can you buy something used locally? I don’t think I would take a Tacoma there, I don’t know how much dealer support you would have. I don’t recall seeing many 200 series there either, it was mostly 70 series land cruisers

Don’t forget it’s a RHD country. It was weird enough to learn to drive on the “wrong” side of the road in a car properly set up for it. LHD in a RHD world would add some complexity

Additionally it’s a poor country - second only to Haiti in the Western Hemisphere as far as I know. I had a peaceful time there especially compared to time I spent in Trinidad & Tobago but as an American I do think it’s good to keep a lower profile in countries like that. A lot of the locals drive used cars imported from Japan, Nissan X Trails were everywhere.

It’s also a very small country, 90% of the population is on the coast and unless you’re heading into the interior, will you be doing much driving? Maybe your 100 series would be fine.

Specifically talking about vehicles, I had a 100 series and I currently have both a Tacoma and a 200 series. The 200 is a huge improvement over the 100 in just about every way except now I don’t want to take the 200 offroad and get it scratched. Ha.

My wife hates the size of the Tacoma and even with two kids under 7, we never use it for family trips and it’s basically only used for my work and for my solo camping trips. I don’t think I would try to fit teenage kids or a dog in it. Haha. I do like it though, it’s a perfect size for most trails and I love the 6 speed manual. Probably gonna supercharge it soon.

Anyway not sure if that helps. My advice is something local and low pro, and definitely with working AC!

But if you want to import I would go with a 200. I doubt you would even need much work done in just a couple years - and even if they don’t support the 3UR in the Guyanese market I’m sure they could order in parts or you could buy from the US and have them shipped in.
Solid. This is why I come here. I’m working through some electric issues with my 100 which make me cautious of taking it there. The 200 I’m thinking about would be a 2013… and, I’m eye to eye with you on not being too flashy there. I’ve seen quite a few 14 and 15 200s on fb marketplace (but the market for buying there is outrageous). You’re advice is 💯. And good luck on the supercharging!

Solid. This is why I come here. I’m working through some electric issues with my 100 which make me cautious of taking it there. The 200 I’m thinking about would be a 2013… and, I’m eye to eye with you on not being too flashy there. I’ve seen quite a few 14 and 15 200s on fb marketplace (but the market for buying there is outrageous). You’re advice is 💯. And good luck on the supercharging!
Other thing is if you want the 200 as gas or diesel, manual or automatic. Depending on what you plan to do you could try to get a africa version 200

If I went with a 2013… 100k miles. Asking $39k. What maintenance would you all be looking at?

If I went with a 2013… 100k miles. Asking $39k. What maintenance would you all be looking at?

Radiator as PM and update to the new design if it hasn't already been done, change all fluids including power steering, spark plugs while you are in there (recommended at 105 I believe), drive it.

Radiator as PM and update to the new design if it hasn't already been done, change all fluids including power steering, spark plugs while you are in there (recommended at 105 I believe), drive it.
Thanks, friend!

Thanks, friend!
Any time.

Besides.. turns out I was wrong. Plugs are 120k.. so a little more up in the air on whether to do them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom