Michelin LTX M/S Vs. Bridgestone Revo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
for all season city driving that withstands rain, ice snow?
Tire Rack survey says Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo is better than Michelin LTX M/S.
Still can't decide which will be better tires for LC.

No clue on the Bridgestone's but you may also want to look at the new tire Michelin has out for SUV's. I think it's called a Cross Terrain or something similar. Tirerack has it listed as well. Just food for thought.

Check out BFG AT/KO's, My LTX M/S's lasted a long time but were not as good in the Ice/Snow as the BFG AT/KO's. I have over 50K miles on my BFG AT/KO's and still have 11/32's of thread remaining. The BFG AT/KO's make a little more noise than the LTX's.

Based on Tire Rack, Michelin is approx 8.5 out of 10, Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO is 9.5 out of 10.
Not alot of local tire places carry BFG AT KO's. If they do cost is outrageous. I was going to order from Tire Rack anyways, but sometimes, it costs more if you add mounting, balancing, valve stems, shipping and son on compare to purchasing from local tire shop.
I am leaning against Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO but since I have Bridgestone Dueler H/L(Which really sucks on snow)on my LC, I am little skeptical.
How much is fair price for BFG AT KO's and where is the good source to purchase? Tire Rack did not have them.

I know that my local Sam's club has BFG AT/KO's and I think Walmart has them. Sam's has the best price.

BFG AT KO 285/75 at Costco online (same as Sam's ???) is priced at $161 each; and that include s&h, mounting, new valve stem...and on top of that, there's $60 rebate for a set purchase; don't know why stock size (275/70) is more than $10 each. However, my local warehouse refused to mount nothing other than stock size though.

Sam's Club also carries the Michelin Cross Terrain at a great price (you order on-line and get an e-mail when the tires arrive at the local club for installation). I put a set on my wife's RX 300 and they really improve the ride/handling from the prior Michelins.
A little online research indicated the Cross Terrain's are best mated to the light SUVs, like the RX, the Benz, most Heeps, etc. The full-size, heavy-weight SUVs like Expeditions and Burbs did not give the Cross Terrain tires good reviews.

LT
8)

Just got the Revos put on my '99 TLC about 3 weeks ago. Honestly, just a little louder than the stock Michelins at highway speeds. So far a great tire. Live in Colorado and has only been in the snow a couple of times, no problems. Seemed to handle great. Was on a real muddy road, and what annoyed me was I couldn't spin the tires :), to much traction. That never happened with the Michelins, they would spin like crazy. Bought from Costco. Not on there website, but call your local store and they will order. Had mine in under a week. They have a special on to, at least they did a couple of weeks ago.

I had mine for almost 2 months now. I could not say the exact comparison with the LTX since I upgrade to bigger size and higher load range. Wet pavement traction are excelent so is noise and dry traction. Snow performance are prety good but I prever siped MTR I have in my previous truck. This might not be a fair comparison since the truck are lighter and nimbler than my LC.

BFG are really good tires also but they suck when half of the thread are gone. Bridgestone advance compound are designed to renew the rubber everytime they wear down.

I've had my Revo's a year ($135 each plus installation) 285/75/16. Got them at the local Firestone dealer. I'm starting to see more of them around here in Dallas. They were great in our one ice storm last year but I did get stuck in a mud hole a few weeks ago. The mud was like grease and all 4 wheels would spin. Maybe a more accomplished wheeler coulda got out but I think anything short of a mud tire was useless. :)

Ihave called local Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart and they do not carry Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo but they to BFG A/T KO's.
Michelin LTX - Good tires but not so good on snow. My wife's Discovery had it as a OEM and it really sucked on snow, we replaced the tire with Dunlop Rover AT and much much better for her truck.

Dueler A/T REVO - Never had experience and Tire Rack survey gave really good reviews by consumer. That's why I want to try this tire. From my local Discount Tires it is 168.00/tire out the door.

BFG A/T KO - Excellent reputation but as some one posted that when the tire wears, it looses traction. I wouldn't mind BFG's and price is comparable to Dueler AT REVO's.

All of these tires except Michelins are special order and takes about a week to get it. It is frustrating that tire places do not stock these tires when it is known to be a excellent tires for SUV's.

The stock 275/70-16 Michelin LTXs are not the same as the other LTX size. For one, this is the only size that comes rated with HR speed rating (SR also available). The tread patter is also a 6 rib design as oppose to the standard 5 rib for the other LTX sizes.

When my stock LTX wore out, I replaced them with LTXs. The LTXs have excellet wet and dry traction on pavement, confortable ride and low noise. For my light offroad excusion, they performed just fine. I've never tested the snow/ice capabilities as it never snows Texas.

I did consider the Cross Terrains, but it seems to be designed for the lighter car-based SUVs. I passed on them due to my doubt on the Cross Terrains not being a LT type tire - somthing I think is important for a 5k+ lbs SUV.

For years I did local field service and drove about 50k~60k miles a year. Never missed driving in bad wheather. Went through alot of tires and tried a bunch.

I just put on the X-terrains from Pro Comp. Today was the third drive in bad wheather. That would be snow/ice conditions. Best damn tire I've ever had under a vehicle, period!

'97.. You're confusing me a bit. What is better the stock tire or aftermarket?
My 87 Supra had GY Eagles on it that were different rib count (7 vs 5?) from those that were aftermarket. In that case I thought the OEM tire handled better and smoother than the aftermarket version. They both seemed to get a lot of punctures. I had put the Eagles on an early Z28 and really liked them so I was surprised when I made the switch on the Supra and later realized what the difference was. In any case my opinion of the OEM Michelins is not very high for wear or traction but they were quiet.

I would take the advice of others and look between the BFG AT KO and the Bridgestone AT REVO if you want a more agressive tire. The LTX MS is not an agressive tire at all. It is a highway tire not designed for much other than wet pavement in comparison with the other two tires. The MS stands for multi-seasonal, not mud and snow.

If it is a highway tire you are looking for then the LTX MS is a fine candidate and the Bridgestone Dueler HT is a great comparison to that as well. But The LTX MS vs. the Dueler AT REVO is not a direct comparison of similar products at all.

Hope this helps a bit. Also, I love my REVO's!!!

< I've never tested the snow/ice capabilities as it never snows Texas.>
I was in Dallas TX two years ago this month and it was snowing and the roads were ice covered. I was in the semi,well protected from all the Texans that KANT drive in snow.

I just got a set of BFG AT's at Costco about 2 wks ago. They also had the Dueler AT's. There's a sale lasting a couple more days for $60 off any Bridgestone Tire....They are also honoring this on BFG's. My total cost was $153 a tire 275/70/16.

The reason I junked my LTX with >75% of thread still on it was for the poor Ice Performance. Several weeks ago Seattle got some snow and ice. I wasn't very confident in the LTX's snow/ice performance to begin with, so I also had a set of chains mounted. My mind was finally made up when I started to slide while on a freeway on ramp. I was at a complete stop and the LC's started to slide. The ramp had barely any angle to it. The 100 series in front of me had BFG AT's on and did not have any slipping problems. I had just commented to the GF that the BFG's were the tires I wanted...when we started to slip. She agreed and there was no argument when I bought them :)

MNCruiser,

Actually, the LTX was never stock on the Discovery. They used an XPC in a very low profile, and yes this would indeed suck in snow. Years ago Land Rover made a decision to put street oriented tires on their otherwise highly competent offroad vehicles.

I've found the LTX well above average on snow and ice, but there are certainly better alternatives. We use specific winter tires (Michelin Alpin 4X4) and they're excellent on glare ice and slick packed snow. A BFG A/T competitor I'm really keyed on is the Cooper Discoverer S/T. I've used them through several winters as a specific winter tire with steel studs and siped. Incredible winter tire, and drove better on the highway (tracking, handling, noise) than the BFG. Literally yesterday I was having some tires mounted and went in the back to take a look at the new E rated version. The thing has over a half inch of tread on it!

DougM

IDAHODOUG,

I live in Minnesota and stud tires or chains are not legal here. So I have to find a tire that is suitable for all around since I am not thinking of purchasing any separate snow tires. I did search on the Cooper tires and they did not have the size 275 70R16. I even went to their site and called them, and they did not have them.
So, either BFG or Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO is te choice I have.
So many people are having BFG's and I am leaning towards that,.

MN,

The Coops are amazing in snow, where the studs have no impact whatsoever. I've gone wheeling on Denny Pass near Seattle on 6 feet of snow and they were markedly superior under this condition as well. The only conditions studs come into play are on ice. So, I'd highly recommend them as a year round tire where snow is a factor. Size wise, they're available in a 265/75-16 and a 285/75-16 so you can either have the same rolling diameter as stock, or a size larger. I used them in 265 as they were for winter only, and my brother (here on the list) has them in 285s for year round use in Michigan.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom