Mercedes OM603 FJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone looked into using the Mercedes transmission as well? There is an adapter available to convert the Toyota transfer case into a divorced t-case which could be drilled to connect to the Mercedes shaft coupler. I have been wanting to put an OM603 into an FJ80 but I've been unemployed and without funds and thought this would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. I haven't been able to measure anything to see how the lengths of the engines and transmissions compare. Also, in CA, the diesel engine has to be of the same year or newer to be legal. I want a '93 or '94 with locking diffs. but '94 and '95 diesel donor cars are expensive.

It's most likely do-able but most mercedes diesels have quite a high mileage on them now and it isn't what I would exactly call a great trans for offroading with its ratios and shift points.

Look for a used 606 motor on some of the mecedes forums if you are looking for a later model one.

A 603 is a mechanically injected diesel there is no ECU for it

While dismantling the W124 parts car I have found some kind of MAF between the airbox and the air intake on the engine plus there is a bunch of wires on and around the IP.Most of these wiris go to something that looks pretty much like an ECU to me.Ofcourse I know absolutely nothing about electrical systems:doh: so I realy hope I am wrong about this,I might just take my engine out of the 300 TDT and put it in my 40.

Do you happen to know what excactly should be hooked up for the electrical parts to get the 603 running in the 40?

Thanks Joe

Btw, I'm in the middle of putting an om603 into my fj60 and a 617 into a fj62 as well and yes, I will have kits for these swaps.
Brian

Btw, I'm in the middle of putting an om603 into my fj60 and a 617 into a fj62 as well and yes, I will have kits for these swaps.
Brian

Cool,how much does a kit cost for a om603 to a Toyota manual tranny (h42/h55 or mini truck?)

Regards

Joe

OM606 to A440F, Interested as well

I have a spare A440F, a 1995 E300D, and a completely stock FJ62. And, I am also interested in the adapter kit to make the OM606 fit the A440F. I have good parts to trade should anyone be interested.

Interesting info
I've been searching a lot for the dimensions for the OM603 bellhousing bolt pattern
Does anybody have them?
I'm gonna make an adapter for a TH350/700 and yes I know you can buy them but they are pricey and even more so shipped to Sweden

I realize this is an old thread, but did anyone here ever get an OM603 going in their cruiser? Trans adapters made? I'm running one and the MB auto in my samurai and it's a blast. Thought I'd sign up to see if I could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom