Mercedes OM603 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you guys will be disappointed with a OM617 in an 80 series. Just speaking from experience.

At stock power levels I admit it won't be a powerhouse,but after adjusting the ip's full load and torque management you can easyly see 170+hp. I have yet to drive/own a Om617 powered car that didn't have the ip's boost reference tube plugged,wich makes a huge difference on how these things run. No boost signal=no fuel enrichment. I will be playing around with fuel/turbo/intercooler ect upgrades on the Fj62 conversion as well to see what kind of low end torque can be brought out as well. I have 3 eaton superchargers sitting on my bench too:D
Brian

I think you guys will be disappointed with a OM617 in an 80 series. Just speaking from experience.

Is your engine stock? Intercooled? Pump turned up at all?

What fuel mileage are you getting?

What tires and gears?

My rig is a family hauler. If it can hold at 70mph and fetch 15mpg or more, I don't care how long it takes me to get up to 70. I have time........ and veggie oil.

Last edited:
That's my plan also. Your swap thread is what made me even look into it. I figure I can throw it in with the a440 then as I gather up the swap parts for my h42 swap, I can work out the bugs with the 617 with the auto. I need the adapter plate anyway, so why not.

I think the h42 may be the ideal option for this motor in an 80.

Metu05: Still very interested in your upgrades and mpg.

So far I have the stock KKK turbo, turned up IP (not finished tuning it), and bumped timing to 27º. I have 35's for daily driving and 5.38's in the axles. Its not that bad, but not stunning either. If you want all the details, go to the link in my sig.

I was disappointed with the stock OM617 in my 4runner and have drove the piss out of two different engines so far. They haven't held up very well and I am contemplating rebuilding one or going to something else.

At stock power levels I admit it won't be a powerhouse,but after adjusting the ip's full load and torque management you can easyly see 170+hp. I have yet to drive/own a Om617 powered car that didn't have the ip's boost reference tube plugged,wich makes a huge difference on how these things run. No boost signal=no fuel enrichment. I will be playing around with fuel/turbo/intercooler ect upgrades on the Fj62 conversion as well to see what kind of low end torque can be brought out as well. I have 3 eaton superchargers sitting on my bench too:D
Brian

Sorry, but you will never see that kind of power with the stock IP.

Sorry, but you will never see that kind of power with the stock IP.

Exactly. Figures are bandied about on the internet, but AFAIK, no-one has acheived anything near 170hp on a stock OM617 fuel pump.

This same poster has had this claim questioned on here before. He couldn't back them up and does have a commercial interest in more conversions going ahead.

Last edited:
I'm not goin to get in a pissin match again,so this will be my only reply on this topic. Kta cummins at competition diesel has posted his dyno results there. 170HP measured at the crank,not the wheels and is with a maxed out ip. Any doubters need only to go to YouTube and do a Mercedes diesel search. When you see a 5,000lb plus car smoking the tires at 70mph it might change your minds. There is plenty of info around proving that the Om617 has the potential to make decent power.
Brian.

I have seen nothing online or in personal experience to back up 170hp. (I'm not saying there isn't some). I'm looking for around 200ft/lb torque. An om617a has 125hp and 170 torque. I'd like to get to 150/200. That's pretty close to the 3fe and i think it will get me around just fine. I think intercooled, pump turned up and maybe a few other little tidbits that others have done and it should be just right.

4600lb 3fe fj80 with 155/220
4450lb om617 with 125/170 up to 150/200. Should be fine. I'm gonna do it. I hate my 3fe and all 10-14mpg.

I'm not goin to get in a pissin match again,so this will be my only reply on this topic. Kta cummins at competition diesel has posted his dyno results there. 170HP measured at the crank,not the wheels and is with a maxed out ip. Any doubters need only to go to YouTube and do a Mercedes diesel search. When you see a 5,000lb plus car smoking the tires at 70mph it might change your minds. There is plenty of info around proving that the Om617 has the potential to make decent power.
Brian.

Post it here.

To measure crank hp, you need to remove the engine and use a dyno-cell.
The cars smoking it up on youtube aren't OM617's. Apart from the green wagon which was a heavily modified OM617 with a very short lifespan.

Last edited:
To the OP... anonymous.

Sorry about crapping up your thread about an om603 swap. It was not my intention.

Me tu 05: Thanks for the info on here. I am very interested in finding more real life swap info. Yours is appreciated. I'd rather not have to see your avatar over on pirate so whatever your willing to offer up here is great.

I'm gonna start a new thread on this so this thread can hopefully get back to the OPs question.

I started on the Om603 to a440 earlyer this week. Haven't got to far,just the engine and trans stripped and getting basic measurements. Looks good so far,asking making adapters for the 602/603 to r150 and w series trans too. I'm running an r trans in my Fj60 and will be swapping out the Om617 for the 603 in it. I'm also swapping a Om602 in a 92 V6 extra cab pu. There is a way to mount the split case to the R trans using all Toyota parts,but from what I gather they are somewhat elusive. Or run a toybox from marlin? The Om606 is also another option and will bolt directly in place of the 603. I have all the parts waiting to supercharge the non turbo 606 in my 97 E300 with an eaton m90,should for a nice swap for a Fj also.
Brian

OM603 engine and transmission to divorced FJ80 case

Has anyone looked into using the Mercedes transmission as well? There is an adapter available to convert the Toyota transfer case into a divorced t-case which could be drilled to connect to the Mercedes shaft coupler. I have been wanting to put an OM603 into an FJ80 but I've been unemployed and without funds and thought this would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. I haven't been able to measure anything to see how the lengths of the engines and transmissions compare. Also, in CA, the diesel engine has to be of the same year or newer to be legal. I want a '93 or '94 with locking diffs. but '94 and '95 diesel donor cars are expensive.

603 Question

I have done a few diesel swap to Cruisers in the past,most of them using a 3b/1HZ/1HDT or a few Nissan diesels.All of these where using mechanical pumps so no ECU or nothing needed,just some fab work no electricity;).

I have for the moment a W124 300TDT and a spare parts car W124 300 TD,both have the Mercedes 603 in it.I want to put a diesel in my 68 FJ40 but am scared of using a 603 because off the ECU.

Anybody already put a 603 in a Cruiser and figured the wiring out?

Regards

Joe

603 Question

I have done a few diesel swap to Cruisers in the past,most of them using a 3b/1HZ/1HDT or a few Nissan diesels.All of these where using mechanical pumps so no ECU or nothing needed,just some fab work no electricity;).

I have for the moment a W124 300TDT and a spare parts car W124 300 TD,both have the Mercedes 603 in it.I want to put a diesel in my 68 FJ40 but am scared of using a 603 because off the ECU.

Anybody already put a 603 in a Cruiser and figured the wiring out?

Regards

Joe

A 603 is a mechanically injected diesel there is no ECU for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom