Member Needs Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our 1998 LX470 blew its transfer case in Wake Forest Yesterday. It's now sitting at Johnson Lexus in Raleigh. I am looking to borrow a car dolly or have someone with a toy hauler pick it up and deliver it to me in Eldorado. I am not one to ask for help but I am in a pickle. I will pay $$$ to anyone that volunteers. Lexus wanted $6100 to replace it.

Also, does anyone have experience rebuilding these? Is it difficult or should I buy a used one locally or on ebay. Another option is to take it to a transmission rebuild shop. First I need to get it home so if any of you can assist me, I would be very grateful. I would like to get it home by the weekend. A car dolly would be perfect but a member with a toy hauler would also work.

Thanks,
Kurt

we can help you the the cruiser home.

it looks just like a 80 case you can rebuild it pretty easy
from slee -
  • HF2A full-time 2 speed transfer case with center differential lock
  • Unlike the 80 series, the transfer case does not have a viscous coupler

here are a couple videos of the case being opened.

Last edited:
Does it move at all in the current state?

I can help if Eric can't.

it moves in low range.
high is gone

I would offer to help but right now I am swamped with kid activities in the evenings and long days at work. If the other guys can’t then I can help Saturday morning though.

Pretty sure it’s the same case as a 91-92 80 series. Or the same with a different tail cover as all the other 80s. I have a few if you want to put a used one in it. It would be fast and really cheap. You could always rebuild the other one later.

I love this club and its members. The LX470 will be moved to URE within the next few days and fourtrax has me convinced I can rebuild / repair the center diff by myself. I added swing out barn doors to my shop over the holiday and added a wood stove so now I have a place to work on my vehicles indoors. I will disassemble, inspect, replace and hopefully get this one fixed. AJR, thanks for the offer, I will keep you in mind if I run into trouble. Johnny, Del, thank you for stepping in if I need help. Much appreciated.

Kurt

Oh you are killing me. Lower gears on the 80 yes, on the wife's lx470? I don't think so :)

This is your wife's..... How did she blow the transfer case??

CDL when driving?

Nope, she is aware of the CDL. Drove over a set of RR tracks and heard a grinding noise. Pulled over and called me. This is a very rare occurrence as center diffs are over build for these vehicles. Not sure what happened. Will find out once I tear it apart.

Oh you are killing me. Lower gears on the 80 yes, on the wife's lx470? I don't think so :)
Put the case from the 80 in the wife’s ride. Rebuild wife’s case with low gears. You can swap the viscous coupler over from one to the other.

Kurt - Sorry I just checked this thread. Glad Eric and Gurt got you taken care of though. Good advice from AJR there. #peerpressure :grinpimp:

Many thanks to 4LowandSlow for picking up and delivering the LX. At this point I'm thinking we should have dumped it on the side of the road. Started to remove the center diff but coolant leaks in three locations stopped that project. Radiator has a small pin hole that I found using UV dye in the coolant. Major leak now some where above the alt, probably the water pump and a major coolant leak in the bell housing, at least 2-3 cups over night. I didn't try 4 high when I pulled it in the shop which was a mistake. I don't know the exact sound that the wife heard but she confirmed the truck does not move in 4 high, only 4 low. My thinking is transmission pre-cooler on radiator went bad and coolant got in transmission or center diff is bad, low fluid etc. Drained transmission and fluid looks new and smells good. Drain center diff and fluid looks clear and clean, no metal on magnet. So now I am looking at timing belt and water pump (this one has 50K on it) to fix coolant leak I never had before and pulling center diff and transmission because the only thing I can think of that would let 2-3 cups of antifreeze get in the housing is a freeze plug in back of block is leaking. Its still dripping as I write this. Wife confirmed she did not over heat. Looked at all gauges when the truck stopped running. Coolant was still above the fins when I started looking into this mess. My plan right now is to put all fluids back in, re-attach drive lines and take it for a spin to hear the sound it makes and confirm it will not drive in 4 high. How does a truck that had no leaks except a pin hole in the radiator that I had to use UV dye to find develop all these leaks at once? Also, can anybody tie coolant issues to not running in 4 high or am I now faced with multiple failures at once. Does anybody want to purchase a slightly used LX 470?

i wonder if the linkage was loose and when she went over the tracks if got pulled out of gear and wont go back because it is out of adjustment.
leaks happen. can be frustrating but, fixable. take a breath., if you need a hand let us know. the techs don't fix anything anymore they just wholesale swap the system hoping for a fix.

Coolant leaking, is there a crossover pipe near the back of the engine, which is almost over the transmission housing?

Erics point is a good one, check that nut on the lever linkage is there, passenger side right below the selector lever

The coolant came out of the transmission housing when I removed the inspection cover, about 2-3 cups. It has leaked another 2 cups or so since last night. The housing is sealed to prevent water, mud etc from entering. My only explanation is the rear freeze plug must be leaking because the engine has oil and the transmission has trans fluid. This location should not see any antifreeze. I honestly don't know what happened. This truck has been 100% reliable and now it has two major leaks and a small pin hole leak in the radiator I was aware of but could not find until I put UV dye in. The other leak which is now large is above the alternator which is where the water pump is. The water pump on the LX is a real pain to get to and runs off the timing belt. As for the linkage, first thing I checked when I went under. All is intact. I will refill all fluids tomorrow and see what happens when I put it in 4 high. 4lowandslow used 4 low to get it off the trailer and I used the same to get it in my shop. I was stupid for not trying 4 high before I started the diagnosis but I didn't want to create more damage. This will be a valuable and probable expensive learning experience. What really puzzles me is this truck didn't leak a drop of antifreeze. Not one drop in the place where we park it. Stay tuned.

the transmission cooler runs through the radiator if that pipe had a hole in it inside the radiator it could start sucking coolant into the transmission. This is a known reason for transmission failures in 4runners.
I mean the inside of the radiator have to be pretty cruddy for that type of the corrosion rust.
let's talk about this railroad crossing how big of a jolt was it I've seen some pretty nasty crossings. Maybe it just caused a couple random issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom