Meet my new DD, "Marty McFly" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, as most of you know, I sold my mini rock crawler. Just didn't get enough use and I hated to see it sit. The Mrs. and I have been discussing down sizing also. So I put the Tundra up for sale and got a hit on it right away! The problem is.... now I am not going to have anything to drive come Tuesday. :eek:

So, I found this little gem here on MUD.

IMG_0906.JPG

Blown head gasket, or so it was thought. After finding out a little more about the truck they PO said that there was a lot of coolant in the oil. He had already replaced the HG. So, I'm thinking that the chain guide is gone and the chain ate a hole in the cover. Common issue. But I thought they would have changed the chain and guides when they did the work. Turns out not so. The PO and friend are more knowledgeable on the F series engines and didn't know much about the little RE. So I checked compression (cold) and numbers looked fine. Check the dip stick... Uh oh...

IMG_0907.JPG

Pulled the valve cover off and found this....

IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0910.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG

Milkshake confirmed. :doh:

Not sure if you can make it out in the last pic but the guide is gone. Chain has cleanly carved matching grooves in the cover, and the coolant has made it's way in. So, first order of business is to swap the cover. I am going to ATTEMPT to do it without pulling the head. Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but the head gasket is brand new and I don't suspect the guys that did it did anything wrong in the process. And, it CAN be done if you are careful. As many of you 22RE gurus know, the head actually comes over past the front edge of the engine and the chain passes through. (See the last pic for reference if you don't know what I'm talking about.) So, removing the cover is possible by removing the oil pan and then (very) carefully pulling the cover. As long as there is no damage to the HG where the head meets the front cover, you're good to go. :clap:

If the HG DOES get damaged, well, you gotta pull the head. We'll see how it goes!

Also, I don't want to bash the PO. He was a really nice guy that just knows more about cruisers than pickups. So, please refrain. In the end it turned out to be a great deal for me on a truck that I can use as a DD and to haul stuff around in. Plus the timing was great since I'm going to be without a vehicle in a few days.

Congrats on the purchase! Could you post more pics of the truck?

Sam a trick I learned off the Internet was to file the pins on the end and the sharp edges around where the HG meets the cover

From an iPhone with autocorrect...

Nice! I like the early extracabs. Had an 84 for my first pickup back in 92. Can't put anyone back there but at least you can recline the seat a little. Someday I'm going to build an early truck again. Maybe my 89 will go under the knife...

...at least you can recline the seat a little.

The most important, and really only, reason the X-cab is so much better. You can actually move the seats! That was my only gripe about my other mini was that it was so tiny inside. It was much worse when I put the cage in. I actually had to move the seats down and passengers still hit their heads on the cage. :/

image.jpg
Here's what I just drained out of the oil pan. I had to put the plug back in because the pan was about to overflow...

Very nice. I really want to do something with my 89 besides beat it up plowing my driveway and hauling crap around my property. But it's a regular cab too. The later ones are a bit bigger inside but still pretty useless. It was a winter DD until I put the plow on. Then I got tired of taking it off and bought a new tacoma in 05 and it hasn't left my property since. I did just find an extracab frame on craigslist and I know where I can get a cab....

Very nice. I really want to do something with my 89 besides beat it up plowing my driveway and hauling crap around my property. But it's a regular cab too. The later ones are a bit bigger inside but still pretty useless. It was a winter DD until I put the plow on. Then I got tired of taking it off and bought a new tacoma in 05 and it hasn't left my property since. I did just find an extracab frame on craigslist and I know where I can get a cab....

That would be a fun project!

The trick is getting the cover back on without damaging the HG. It is best to drop the pan at least a little bit for wiggle room. It won't hurt anything if you do damage the gasket, will just have a bad oil leak. ;)

Ever notice those 22's with gobs of silicone were the head and TC meet? :hillbilly:

Yeah that's what I'm finding on this one. Been into multiple times it seems and lots of silicone everywhere. I'm going to try to be careful with the HG but it's already pouring oil from everywhere so....

A box of 40 weight should fit right behind the seat :cool:

I was able to change all the timing stuff on my son's '86 4Runner without messing with the head other than slightly loosening the head bolts while putting the cover in then re-torqing the head bolts. I love the truck great color and graphics. Reminds me of my '85.

IMG_20140420_160018.jpg

Well it runs. Horrible exhaust leak. Seems like it's skipping or misfiring a little. The exhaust is not really attached. And there is a bearing noise from (I believe) the PS idler. But the good news is, no leaks that I have found, the oil and coolant look good, and it runs and drives. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom