Mechanic work in Birmingham on a 92? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My mechanic is one of the best I have ever seen, and we have had tons of guys over the past 20 years of operating a car lot. As far as the number of LCs hes worked on, 100s in his career. He did most of my conversion work on the 60, and worked on my 80 a good bit before that, and wrenches daily on tons of imports, SUVs, 4X4s etc... that come across my yard. He is a little slow, but from motor installs to axel work I have never had a problem and he does not cut corners. Thats why I got him to do my diesel swap, he did everything just like I would have myself and better in most cases.

Kit has been ordered, now need local source for rotors and pads

On BHMMappings advice got the full kit with koyo bearings and Marlin seals around $200. Will start new thread with pics, but just wanted to say thanks to all for the advice.

I used George at Valley Hybrids in CA on the rec of someone else on the board. He was a great source and explained the differences in China vs Jap BIRF kits as well as a few more things to look for in quality parts.

Last part of this post is the best place LOCALLY to get some front rotors and pads. I know everyone will say OEM via CDAN, but I need these parts ASAP and can't wait for them to be shipped from somewhere. Any parts stores in BHAM that are recommended? I saw that O'Reilly carries BREMBO parts and was curious about them. If not BREMBO, then is there any brand at Autozone or Advanced that is descent enough?

Pads and rotors....I would think a reasonable priced idea would be to get a decent set of rotors and some lifetime pads from advanced. The PO put a set of Advanced lifetime pads on my 450 and I have not replaced them b/c it still stops so nice like.

bhmmapping mentioned a guy (Joey) that was on the verge of opening his own shop. After some digging, I came across his info and gave him a call.

Was a really nice guy, a master / expert certified tech for Toyota and Lexus. I think he even does hybrids too. Know his stuff.

You can contact him here: offroadr1@excite.com

I think he's going to do my BIRF job. I will post later on how it turns out. Much thanks to bhammapping for pointing me to cruiseroutfitters and the marlin seals. I will be ordering the kit soon and let you know how it turns out.

I just talked to him and he may be doing some work for me as well.

I'll keep you posted.

I've got the Marlin seals up front, they're hands down worth the cost.
Dudes, nothing like getting a handful of peeps together and breaking down that front axle. It's mindless work and releases the stresses of office work for me.
I'm down for a trip up one Saturday.... this Saturday even.
I've pulled my axle(s) apart more than I care to think about. I've even reassembled in the rain.
If ya'll decide to get together then holla, cause I bet a few from Auburn will come up for the socializing.

Here's the most broke down my rear axle has been:
IMG00071.jpg

I've got the Marlin seals up front, they're hands down worth the cost.
Dudes, nothing like getting a handful of peeps together and breaking down that front axle. It's mindless work and releases the stresses of office work for me.
I'm down for a trip up one Saturday.... this Saturday even.
I've pulled my axle(s) apart more than I care to think about. I've even reassembled in the rain.
If ya'll decide to get together then holla, cause I bet a few from Auburn will come up for the socializing.

Here's the most broke down my rear axle has been:
IMG00071.jpg

That's awesome.

Anyway, Joey has my truck right now for a little light work that I don't have time to get to. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nice guy.

Papa smurf, I am a fellow 92 FJ80 owner also. Soon i will be installing 5.29 gears and longfield axles and chromoly 30 spline outters. I'll be more than willing to help you out, whether is it is places to find parts or manual labor. Let me know, send me a pm if you need some more help, one thing i have realized about LC owners, they are more than willing to help each other out to the bitter end. Like i said, let me know. I live in Irondale and work in Center Point.
Thanks
Charles

I don't think he needs help with it anymore:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/269383-1992-fj8-land-cruiser-$3500-@-134k-miles.html

But you should come help with Eric's ome install on tues, should be a good time.

Soon i will be installing 5.29 gears and longfield axles and chromoly 30 spline outters.

Wow! What will you be wheeling that you need Longs? Not saying you don't need them, I'd love to have them, but I've managed to tear up alot of stuff but keep my birfs intact. I guess if you need new ones though, definitely replace with Longs.... What size rubber you running with them gears and axle shafts?!

But you should come help with Eric's ome install on tues, should be a good time.

This coming Tuesday? Where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom