Mechanic/restoration shop in Orange County, CA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first post here. I'm in Orange County, California, and I'm planning on buying a 1997 Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary Edition from an out-of-state seller; this would be my first LC. Assuming the inspection goes well, I should pick it up next week. I plan on using it as a daily driver with some occasional light offroad (no rock climbing). It's in good shape physically/cosmetically, but has 200K miles and my guess is it'll need mechanical work. I also plan on doing restoration and upgrading.

I'll do some work myself but plan on having most work done by a shop. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Land Cruiser mechanic and restoration shop in Orange County? I've spoken with TopLine Performance in Huntington Beach, and they said they can handle everything, but I found them on the web and I don't any other point of reference.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi, I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I actually started with Mario at TopLine Performance in HB because I purchased my LC from him. He had just done a head job (later found a crack was repaired with JB weld) and installed a lift (installed springs backwards-they followed Aussie instructions for DS) for his son but he had a change of heart. I would strongly encourage you not to deal with him. I am baffled how he has a loyal LC following with all the problems I have been through with him. I ultimately switched to Hiro's Auto Repair (Japanese shop with LC experience but not a speciality shop) in Costa Mesa and he straightened everything out. Since then I have found Cruiser Tech in Laguna Hills to be the most knowledgable Cruiser shop in Orange County. They are from Venezuela and very familiar with Land Cruisers and modifying them. I would highly recommend Dai at Hiro's or Cesar at Cruiser Tech. The next time I go to Cesar he will be replacing the power steering gear TopLine damaged when they removed it which led to a ticking sound after a fresh rebuild around three years ago.

Hi, I was in your shoes about 5 years ago. I actually started with Mario at TopLine Performance in HB because I purchased my LC from him. He had just done a head job (later found a crack was repaired with JB weld) and installed a lift (installed springs backwards-they followed Aussie instructions for DS) for his son but he had a change of heart. I would strongly encourage you not to deal with him. I am baffled how he has a loyal LC following with all the problems I have been through with him. I ultimately switched to Hiro's Auto Repair (Japanese shop with LC experience but not a speciality shop) in Costa Mesa and he straightened everything out. Since then I have found Cruiser Tech in Laguna Hills to be the most knowledgable Cruiser shop in Orange County. They are from Venezuela and very familiar with Land Cruisers and modifying them. I would highly recommend Dai at Hiro's or Cesar at Cruiser Tech. The next time I go to Cesar he will be replacing the power steering gear TopLine damaged when they removed it which led to a ticking sound after a fresh rebuild around three years ago.

Awesome info and very helpful. Thanks so much for the reply and the recommendations. I will give a call to Dai and Cesar.

You might check into the clubsites in your area (Clubhouse in the header). I know there are quite a few enthusiasts down that way. They might be able to help.

I don't know how active any of those forums are anymore though.

There are a lot of independent general mechanics around that can credibly work on these things, but they're not "Land Cruiser" mechanics. That's the trick, finding one of these.

AOE and Cruiser Tech share an office but are different businesses. Cruiser Tech knows Cruisers. I do not have any experience from AOE.

Hold up, isn't this where @orangefj45 is? Why is this even a discussion? He's arguably the most reputable cruiser shop west of the Mississippi, If not the whole country

AOE and Cruiser Tech share an office but are different businesses. Cruiser Tech knows Cruisers. I do not have any experience from AOE.
I called and spoke with Cesar at Cruiser Tech (CT). CT and AOE are in the same building, but Cesar indicated that they are separate businesses and that Alex (who is the AOE guy and is the subject of some critical posts elsewhere on ih8mud) is not involved in Cruiser Tech. So, I'll take Cesar's word unless/until I learn differently.

I can attest to staying away from Topline in Huntington Beach. They stripped the brake calipe mounting threads on my knuckle and didn't tell me. I found out later when the bolt they replaced it with came out and left my caliper loose.

From a restoration standpoint, I would encourage you to check out LGE*CTS Motorsports in San Dimas. They do absolutely beautiful bodywork. They also specialize in off-road trucks, so they are very well versed in suspension and drivetrain mechanicals. They are the go-to show for a few different major OEMs when it comes to building show cars. And it's a family operation. They did my re-gear a few years back and it's been flawless.

Hello, hows the pricing at cruiser tech? Im debating if i should go there or miyaki

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom