Mechanic or leads for FJ40 issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He took it to a Toyota dealer for some leaks he was seeing. I suspect from a picture he sent there is a leaking brake caliper for starters. The engine was just rebuilt prior to him receiving it so I am thinking some of the bolts need tightened after wearing in some on the new gaskets. Honestly I am not sure Toyota gave him a long list of items but then said it was a nice restoration but they would not work on it. It was driven here quite a bit before leaving and everything seemed to be OK. Just need some eyes on it to see what is happening.

Issues that Toyota "claims" are pressing but I don't know this mechanic - surprised he diagnosed but said the work would need to be done at a restoration shop:

A) inner axle needs replacement (front seal is shot and leaking everywhere / claims 8-10 hour fix) - says inner axels mixing w grease and on inside front right rim and diff plug
B) one brake line is not in straight (right side) - see below
C) brake lines are copper - but I did confirm they are brand new - he said they should be stainless steel and adjust to straight. Claims front brake line (right) is inserted into hose.

D) Missing bolts on transfer case? Says front crank seal or possible oil pan leaking and stated trans cover is missing two bolts. Says oil is leaking on drum and center differential

E) says the truck is "swimming in fluids" yet said they wouldn't fix it at their certified shop - a bit odd. Said do not drive until brake issues are resolved.

F) all quite frustrating because near 07928 there are plenty of restoration shops but more w imports and high end exotics

Mind you this truck is a specimen / it's show quality. Just need to double check this maybe wildly off assessment which was 4-5k! Of labor parts and work.

Anyone with any ideas pls reach out. I am going to go to a more specialized restoration shop for a 2nd look this week as I don't want any damage done to what really is a work of art.

Thx
Eric
Hey, Eric. I wish I knew a good cruiser shop around here. If you find one, let us know. Good luck!
-Karl

Here in NYC we go to Juniors Pulaski Auto Repair @ 321 McGuiness Blvd, Brooklyn, NY 11222
Junior does mostly 60/62s but can probably sort out a 40.

I've been out of the loop for a long long time, but is Jose Rivera still working on Cruisers? He brought my 60 back to life after a unfortunate incident.

- Jason -

junior has also done alot of work on my LX450 . really good guys , just give him a list and they will run through it

Junior's is good? I was put off by the reviews, but they don't have very many. What kind of work did you guys have done? How are the rates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom