Mechanic in Calgary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HElP! I just moved to Calgary and am having problems finding a mechanic that in a pinch can fix my rig. Mech here seem to think I am clueless about my rig or are over charging me. Just want an honest, reliable mech, I do not mind paying for good service (very protective of my lc).

Cheers!

1986 HJ61 - 216,000km

ProActive 291-2470

But I'd PM him with the Qs as he will know the right people for any problem there. But be careful with how technical you get; he ain't no engineer!:grinpimp:

He banned himself till Jan for his move.... So if anyone needs to contact him look at his profile "crushers" and you will see his email address.

He won't answer PM's as he's not on here anymore.

Thanxs guys but I'm a bit pissy and disappointed with proactive. I'll keep looking.

Cheers!

People who have helped me...

Canyon Creek Toyota (good people)

Proactive (Better people)

Crushers is still here, alive and kicking. Went wheeling with him yesterday. I think you'll find however that he is "winding up operations" in Calgary.

dieselgrl, the best advice I can give is start learning to fix your rig yourself and only go to a mechanic when you're really stuck. The good folk of the RMLCA (Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser Association) in Calgary and area are a great resource. There is probably no issue that one of us hasn't come across at some point. We meet every 3rd Wednesday of the month at the West Hillhurst Community Association @ 7:30 PM in the bar's "function room." (Next gathering this coming Wednesday, 21st November 2007).

Regards
Sabretooth

Last edited:
Thanxs guys but I'm a bit pissy and disappointed with proactive. I'll keep looking.

Cheers!

Just curious what the issues were that you had with ProActive. Im booking my rig in there next week for about $3000 worth of work.

Hill,
I did not mean to knock Proactive (they've been very accommodating on two situations that I've gone to them and fixed my issues without problems) it's just I'm use to S'toon where the mech I dealt with had reasonable prices (only charged for his time not book time) and enjoyed/pride working on my rig. It's hard paying dealership prices but I realize it's Calgary way of life. Ouch $3000. . .

SabreTooth,
I am trying to learn to fix my own rig but hard when I don't have a garage, always relied on my dad to give a helping hand (he's 600 km away now). So trying to stand on my own two feet. Thanks for the the update on the mtg with the RMLCA, will try to come this Wednesday.

QUESTION: Someone told me there was a Mike that worked out of his garage that worked on TLC, anyone heard of this person before? I heard he was good and reasonable.

Cheers
dieselgrl

86 HJ61 Bush/winch/snorkel/Mickey T's, etc.

I am not automotive "mechanic"...but I am an aircraft "mechanic".
I live in the northwest, and if I can help you with anything I will :)

its nice to finally see more calgary peeps on this board.

mike any photos of your BJ40?

dieselgrl any photos of your rig?

My $3000 worth of work is going to include a SC install, headgasket PM, and rear main seal leak.

dieselgrl,

If you are near the NW of Calgary (Crowfoot), I have used Autorite. They are as honest as it gets. They are a generic non-specialty shop and do charge "book" rates but they will only fix what is necessary and only after asking first if they find any hidden issues that you didn't go into have checked.

I have been taking my Dodge there as I really need one reliable vehicle and don't have the time to upkeep the Dodge as well as two Landcruisers. I do all my own stunts...wait...work on the Landcruisers.

http://www.autorite.ca/

I don't know whether they'll touch an HJ61 but it might be worth asking. John is the owner.

Another option is to join the RMLCA mailing list and post the same question or just post what the issue is and see if someone can or will help. You may get more local responses and local help than posting to 'Mud. There is however no substitute for the collective knowledge-base of 'Mud.

http://www.rmlca.ab.ca/mailman/listinfo.cgi/list

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom