measuremnt of OME lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the OME lift installed (along with the Slee diff drop... but that's not relavent to this topic) and I am looking at the gain in height. I used the 866 springs. I still have my stock 275/6R18 tires on, and I have yet to get the front end aligned (gonna do it after I get this solved and my new BFG AT 285/65R18 on).

But what I am noticing for a lift is (measuring from the ground to the lip of the fender well)

Before lift FRONT 33 3/8
REAR 34 7/8
RAKE 1 1/2 (rear-front)

After lift FRONT 35 5/8 (+2 1/4)
REAR 36 1/2 (+1 5/8
RAKE 7/8

So I went up 1 5/8in with in the Rear and the Rake change leveled out more to 7/8in with OEM T-bars.

So I have several questions you all might be able to help on:

1) What are/were your stock numbers, more importantly your RAKE as its all that should be constant regardles how one measures the lift as long as your consistent. What Rake numbers are you running with after the lift.

2) What kind of lift in the rear do you see with the OME 866 springs. Like I said with nothing else done, same unloaded vehicle (hell even the same amount of gas) I got 1 3/4in ... not the reporte 2 - 2.5 I have heard/read about.

3) My front is up 2 1/4in, the CV angle looks mild with the Diff Drop... what are other people doing.

4) I am installing a ARB Bull bar in the near future (gotta get painted waitingfor back ordered fog lights etc...) but once its on I imagine I will have to adjust the T-bars again to get the same lift back... anyone do this how much did the ARB Bull bar lower the front?

Thanks all...

Last edited:
I think the difference in the results between yours and mine could be contributed to the stock height before lifting. My 01 was probably sitting lower than yours to begin with. I'm not sure what the previous owner used this rig for, but the springs seemed lower (sagging) than most. So, for me to install the same springs as you (866's), they would yield more lift for me than they would for you on a stock 04 suspension. See what I'm saying?

As an example, going off the writeup that Jukelemon did in the FAQ about installing an OME front suspension, his rig measured 1/4 " higher than mine when at stock even though his was a 98 and mine is an 01.

As far as rake goes, mine is now sitting even with almost no rake. Once I install my new ARB bumper, I'll level out the t-bars again. I plan on adding trim packers for now, but eventually will go with 863's when I add a Slee rear bumper.

rzpapp, try to record your numbers from the fender lip to the center of the wheel or the top of the alloy rim so that we can eliminate the differences in tire height. If using the rim as a point of measure, just add/substract 1" when comparing to 16" wheels. As for rake, I'd say anything between 1-1.5" should be fine. Every vehicle is different. Just 100lbs in the rear will even make it squat a little.

Personally, I would set your front height to 2.5" and then adjust the rear via trim packers to get it 1-1.5" higher than the front. Check the height in a couple of months and it is likely to be different because of the springs settling.

Last edited:
Good advice on how to do the measurement. Problem is I don't have those kind of numbers pre lift... and aint redoing to get them... I guess I could drive to the mall and walk around with a tape measure looking for a 100.

Yeah I am gonna try to get back to the orginal 1.5in rake by lowering the front. I am not so much worried about hieght. Its got clearance now easily for what I want to do and I am only gonna run 33" tires. I deciede to wait untill the ARB bumper goes on ... I might be tightening then an not letting out with 7/8 rake right now I bet with a 200lb bumper and 75lb winch I might end up with 2 inch rake with my current set up...

Has anyone measured how much droop is cause on the OME t-bars when an ARB Bull bar is added?

Just have two people equaling 275lbs kneel on the front bumper and see how much the front end drops. :idea:

I would not dare have them lean the plastic thing which poses as bumper. Thought of standing on it (I wieght about 175lb) but half way into it I was feeling like the plastic might cave in.

When I put my TJM front bumper on my 100 it lowered the front end (the TJM is lighter than the ARB)...but I don't have the "before" bumper measurement. If I were a bett'n man I'd say you are going to have to put some twist on those t-bars after your bumper is installed.

I can't recall exactly(but I may have posted it) but my #'s seem about the same as what you are seeing.

I got the ARB bumper installed last night. It dropped the front end 3/4". It started out at 13 3/4" from the fender edge to top of my 16" wheels. It is now at 13" even. I plan on cranking the t-bars back up to 13 3/4 tonight. I wrote up some additional notes for the install of the ARB along with a couple of pics. I'll get that posted up in the next couple days.

Sorry, haven't taken this thread in properly and have read many others,

is it possible to standardise the lift measurements so that different size rims/tires dont come into play, just a straight measurement from centre of axle to top of arch of fender/guard to determine actual lift??? This should make it easy for comparison between vehicles, as it doesn't matter if you are running 16" or 18" rims/tires, as the same effect is achieved by driving onto a lump of wood, but doesn't affect the actual lift, if it is measured from centre of axle to highest point on fender arch ? Correct me if I'm wrong and please suggest an easy way to standardise this "lift" measurement.
Thanks
100 TD

I prefer to measure from the fender edge to the top of the wheel because you can tell exactly where the top of the wheel is. Measuring to the center is not as accurate because its difficult to "eyeball" the center of the centercap.

It's very easy to figure out the difference when measuring to the top of the wheel. If I give you a measurement of 13 3/4" with a 16" wheel, you would subtract 1/2" if you have 17's and 1" if you have 18's. This method takes all tire sizes out of the equation.

Rzpapp,

I lifited my 98 LC with the OME torsion bars and 865 springs. I ended up with about an 1.75" increase in height. Current measurements from top of 16" rim to lip of wheel well are as follows: Front 11.75" Rear 13.5".

I have a 1.75 difference between front and back. In an earlier thread, Christo Slee said 100's should have about a 1" rake. I think this is good advice. When I first lifted my cruiser I leveled the front and back. The front felt very stiff and the first time out on the freeway was an unsettling experience. The truck felt like the front end was floating and any sharp turn of the steering wheel caused the thruck to feel unbalanced. Obviously the bars were cranked too high, limiting down travel.

When I put on the sahara front bumper, the front droped about .75". I'm going to drive it for a while like this and then maybe adjust the bars to get just a 1" rake. Don't wait too long to get your front end aligned. You will start to see abnormal wear in about a thousand miles if you don't. OOP's voice of experience.

Could someone please contribute measurement from top of 16" rim to lip of wheel well with a stock rear bumper (that is: without extra load in the back) and OME 866 springs.
According to 3rd Cruiser's measurement I will gain only 1.2" compared to my stock suspension using OME 865 springs. If 866 are not any higher, I might go for 866, as when the car is loaded it is really LOADED. How do 866 handle when the car is empty?

Regards

Samo

Another measurement that I have not seen here that would be useful is the change , when adding 2.5" of front lift (ala OME t-bars), in the front wheel track width. It would be interesting to know, at this amount of lift, how many inches (or fractions thereof) the front wheels come closer together (ideally then the proper backspacing could be utilized on the front).

Unfortunately I didn't even think of this before I did my lift...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom