Maybe a dumb newbie CDL / 7 pin question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
TLDR: skip to question at the bottom

Last year, I bought a triple locked 97 LX 450 modded by multiple previous owners. I knew of some stuff they'd done (pesky heater hose, rebuilt knuckles, etc). I also trailer a small popup with it.

TLDR: For convenience when trailering, especially in reverse on inclines, I've been popping it into 4 lo. Works great and I feel no resistance turning tight. CDL never comes on. CDL works independently, however, so it's functioning. I thought that's just how it was designed but does that mean someone has previously performed the 7-pin mod and I just didn't realize it?

Assuming that your CDL sensor functions, yes.
Thanks! I started to suspect as much when I read randomly that the CDL comes on automatically in 4lo and mine didn't. Sweet.

I love this rig more and (appreciate the care others took with it) more and more every day.

Just to the left of the hazards switch. I thought that was from the factory like that.
Nope. 91/92 and some early 93s had the CDL switch on the dash. None after that, at least in the USDM.
And it's the "pin 7" mod...

The “added” CDL switch allows the CDL to be engaged in high range, and the pin 7 mod let’s you control CDL on or off in low range.

Great mod! I use it in the same manner, sometimes I just want LO range for more control, don't necessarily need the front prop shaft locked to the rear.
I also use the CDL in high range as there are a bunch of sand roads around here I love to bomb down. Lock the CDl and crank the skinny peddle to 11. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom