May ROTM 2016 - Mount Ord (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm interested, would my 2000 Land Cruiser stock suspension with BFG 285/75/16 KO2s make it?

In, and camping, too. The back way can be challenging for some of the tight shelf roads, but worth the effort for scenery. This also makes the next day exfil fast going the direct route back to Beeline, as its high speed shuffleboard the 'easy' way.

Also might be in for a pre-run if you post it,

We are in also, what is the camping situation like? Camp up top next to the lookout? Does anyone know if the road continues over the top to the Roosevelt lake hwy? Assuming a stock 200 can make it...

We are in also, what is the camping situation like? Camp up top next to the lookout? Does anyone know if the road continues over the top to the Roosevelt lake hwy? Assuming a stock 200 can make it...

the road to the top where the towers are is gated and you have to walk the last mile or so. There are some nice pine tree type camping areas nearby with great views. Don't think the road continues over to the Lake Roosevelt Highway? not sure on that one.

We are starting to get a nice turnout for this run lined up.

I checked Google Earth and I am not finding a path down the backside of Mt Ord and on to Roosevelt Lake so you would need to head back to the beeline and make your way there from the highway. The road down from the top is fast and smooth for the most part as LongDuck points out in a previous post.

Thomas - I will PM you and Chrismanjs to discuss the pre-run plan. Anyone else interested, please let me know. It would be a quick shot up FS 27 to verify that it is passable for the group and then down the main Mt Ord road back to the beeline.

I called the FS today and they did not have reports of problems on the trail and it was not closed for any reason. I am waiting for a call back from the person that I believe owns the tower and the potential tower tour, but she has not responded to my voice mail as of yet.

What is the ETA at the trail head for people coming from the south? Just trying to plan accordingly.

Something to point out from when I ran this last July is I got a good amount of pin stripping. Not necessarily a bad thing but if had a newer rig would be tough to hear the scraping. I don't think it was poor driving, no choice on the narrow sections. I wasn't prepared at all being my first time so I didn't have anything to cut with. Maybe areas have been trimmed back since then but again wanted to note.

We are most likely in for this one.

There is a new contact person for tours of the tower, used to be Theresa Mendoza. I don't think the summer guy will be there yet? Chris Price at the Goldfield Fire office @ 480-986-3840 is the latest contact person I have as of last October. I've taken the Scouts up there several times, and just called several weeks in advance to arrange for the tour (tower is locked at the bottom). One time they sent a backcountry engine up to meet us. Pretty cool. Gotta walk the last 1/2 mile up the road.

No luck making contact yet for the fire tower tour. I have been getting passed from one person to the next at the Mesa Ranger office. I currently have an email out to the fire control officer and I am waiting for his response. I will keep trying in hopes to get a response, if nothing before the run, then we can try to get up there when we reach the summit.

I believe Rocky Gilbert is the FMO at Mesa R.D. and would be the best person to contact on this. The FS has changed a lot of their protocols recently & it's now kind of up to the discretion of the person manning the tower to allow access, very frustrating. I have been "denied" permission before (not a creeper) some people are doing those jobs to be isolated from society...

The guy who mans that tower turned out to be a pretty friendly guy and asked us up. His dog stays with him too, he's been on that tower for many years.

I just received a message from the Fire Control Officer, Rob Dintaman. I will call him tomorrow. Here is what he sent me this afternoon:

I am the right person you need to talk to. Give me a call when you get a minute. I’ll let the LO know you’re coming up it is a small hick from the gate and four at a time a aloud up at one time. Remember he is working as far as looking for smoke. Thx Rob

Hi, I signed up for CSC just a few minutes ago.
I was wondering is this the FR 626 route you are talking about, or the more normal route off the Beeline
I've done the marked turnoff route before in my largely stock FZJ80, but was worried from the start of the thread that this might be a more challenging route.

Hi Gibson - Google AZ FS27. That's the trail. We are going up 27, down 626. Stock 80 should make this without issue and if you get stuck, there will be a lot of folks around to assist.

Hey, welcome aboard to the new guy!

The in-route for this one is the turn off further North on Beeline, and constitutes a much more challenging route to the top. Expect narrow shelf roads, washouts, and close trees and brush making for a rewarding drive. The scenery is outstanding and about midway up a vast overlook of the Northern valleys. The easy route is highspeed shuffleboard, and goes quickly without fanfare.

In the past CSC has discussed the option to unofficially adopt this trail, as it's a fan favorite for many of us due to the close proximity to Phoenix, Sycamore, and the ability to get some cool air during summer runs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom