Mastercraft Courser AXT 275 70 18......anyone roll with these? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BullElk

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking to put new and larger tires on wife's '06 LX. I can get the 275 70 Mastercraft Courser AXTs for $754 out the door. They're supposedly Cooper AT3s clones. (Search function only gave me...nothing)

Opinions anyone? Thanks

Mastercraft is owned by Cooper and is their lower quality brand. I do not have personal experience with them but I would not hesitate to buy them.
I see lots of people running them, including some guys at work on their work vans. Never heard a bad thing about the brand.
Go for it and let us know what you think.

Was looking at these and the at3’s. Was told by the tire shop that they used to use them on their own trucks but had some issues w scalloping. Who knows if they were trying to sell me on something else because I can’t find any info of this from online reviews but thought I’d pass along.

Don't go cheap on tires, tires could cause life and death difference. I run Michelins on my cars but 1 1/2 years ago put BFG ATs on LC100. I'm way more careful on LC even after more than 15k miles on those. That's because I'm still not that confident on BFGs compared to Michelins. No issues with BFGs yet though. Just my personal opinion

I went with General Grabber ATx for $600. Check discount tire direct eBay store.

Been running grabber AT2s for 50k will replace next year. Great tire but definitely onbtheir last winter

Don't go cheap on tires, tires could cause life and death difference. I run Michelins on my cars but 1 1/2 years ago put BFG ATs on LC100. I'm way more careful on LC even after more than 15k miles on those. That's because I'm still not that confident on BFGs compared to Michelins. No issues with BFGs yet though. Just my personal opinion

My BFG KO2s are over 40k now and measure at an even 11/32nds on their most recent rotation. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. They have put up with 1000s of miles of crushed granite gravel roads, rocky passes in Colorado, rock trails in Big Bend and everyday tarmac. Their wet weather traction leaves something to be desired. But, they seem otherwise to be an excellent tire with serious longevity.

My BFG KO2s are over 40k now and measure at an even 11/32nds on their most recent rotation. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. They have put up with 1000s of miles of crushed granite gravel roads, rocky passes in Colorado, rock trails in Big Bend and everyday tarmac. Their wet weather traction leaves something to be desired. But, they seem otherwise to be an excellent tire with serious longevity.

But see that’s the problem, you need your tires to perform the same across all road conditions. If I am going to make a evasive maneuvere I need to know my truck is not going to roll over or skid out of control because the sidewall folded over or I lost traction because the tire could not keep traction laterally.
My Michelins performed flawlessly during such a maneuver last summer on the expressway. I was changing lanes and in the middle of my lane change someone else decided to whip into the spot I was moving to, had to jerk the wheel hard right, truck never once lost traction, it went where I pointed it. I was doing 70. No it didn’t handle like a M3, but it was confident and stable and did not kill my children.

A lot of people buy tires because of their looks and how they look on their truck, that’s all well and good as long as the tire can hold it’s own no matter what.

My personal experience with eh BFG A/T is they suck great big donkey Richard. (*you’re results may vary)

Been running grabber AT2s for 50k will replace next year. Great tire but definitely onbtheir last winter

Their new ATx are great. Very quite on road. Only had them on for a month and haven’t tested them off-road yet.

I've been eyeballing their Courser CXT, it was on sale on amazon for 180/ea but its gone up to where the 255/85/16 is the same price as a STTPro...

I am looking to put new and larger tires on wife's '06 LX. I can get the 275 70 Mastercraft Courser AXTs for $754 out the door. They're supposedly Cooper AT3s clones. (Search function only gave me...nothing)

Opinions anyone? Thanks
I'd be slightly leery, as I would worry that the tread compound would be different, even if they were from the same manufacturer. Also, don't those have really limited siping? I definitely go for more heavily siped tires in snowy climates.

The MasterCraft ATX is a good value tire. As previously stated, owned by cooper.

Similarly, if I am not mistaken, Michelin owns B.F. Goodrich.

You are NOT mistaken. Michelin has owned BFG since 1990. They also acquired Uniroyal at that time.

But see that’s the problem, you need your tires to perform the same across all road conditions. If I am going to make a evasive maneuvere I need to know my truck is not going to roll over or skid out of control because the sidewall folded over or I lost traction because the tire could not keep traction laterally.
My Michelins performed flawlessly during such a maneuver last summer on the expressway. I was changing lanes and in the middle of my lane change someone else decided to whip into the spot I was moving to, had to jerk the wheel hard right, truck never once lost traction, it went where I pointed it. I was doing 70. No it didn’t handle like a M3, but it was confident and stable and did not kill my children.

A lot of people buy tires because of their looks and how they look on their truck, that’s all well and good as long as the tire can hold it’s own no matter what.

My personal experience with eh BFG A/T is they suck great big donkey Richard. (*you’re results may vary)
It's a preposterous expectation that tires perform the same across all conditions. If you truly expect the exact same traction from a tire on snow, rain gravel and dry pavement, then it's no wonder you are literally the only person I have ever heard say that BFG A/Ts "suck great big donkey Richard." The tire traction should be predictable, with expectable diminishment in performance on adverse weather conditions not exactly the same across all conditions (that would be great, but is never going to happen).

I had a set of the Mastercraft Courser MTs on a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram about 10 years ago (285/75/16s I think). It was a great tire in all conditions, never had any issues out of them and I was really impressed on the wear. Tires probably had 30k or so miles on them when I sold the truck, and still had plenty of life left.

My father in law was looking for tires earlier this summer on his 02 LS430 - it’s their 4th vehicle that he’ll probably sell soon, so he didn’t want to spend a lot and replace the Michelin’s that were on it. He ended up going with a set of Mastercrafts, and really likes them. I drove it a few weeks ago in the rain - great traction and the car felt very safe.

I haven’t looked into the Mastercraft light truck/SUV offerings in several years, so I can’t speak to the AXTs. But I can tell you that I would not have any second thoughts about going with the brand if they check off the other boxes you are looking for in a tire.

It's a preposterous expectation that tires perform the same across all conditions. If you truly expect the exact same traction from a tire on snow, rain gravel and dry pavement, then it's no wonder you are literally the only person I have ever heard say that BFG A/Ts "suck great big donkey Richard." The tire traction should be predictable, with expectable diminishment in performance on adverse weather conditions not exactly the same across all conditions (that would be great, but is never going to happen).

Of course you are not going to find a tire that performs exactly the same in all conditions, but you can find a tire that performs extremely well and predictably in all conditions. And that is what I was saying. Please excuse me for not explaining it in the most perfect manner the first time around.

If I am the first person you have ever heard of who knows the BFG A/T is a great big horse turd of a tire you need to get out more.
As @geanes said in one of his posts, “the wet traction of the BFG A/T leaves something to be desired.”
They are even worse in snow in my personal experience. For the price they are not worth the money. You are paying for the name and reputation, not for a good tire. If you have good experience with them then good on you. My personal experience, and others that I know, are they suck great big donkey Richard.

I think you can find a better price on a better tire. Cooper AT3s can be found for close to that price probably.
I just got 4 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws for less than that after shipping, taxes, and installation including balancing.

My apologies, I went with 275/65 18 Falkens. For $679 out the door.

I didn't want to have to step up to LT tires so I stuck with 65 aspect ratio. Mine are P rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom