master or slave cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
clutch pedal dropped to the floor, no leaks, and a full reservoir. how do i check to see which ones broke, or do i just replace both. there is more torque in that f motor than i would have thought, truck was going forward at about 3 miles an hour when i hit a wall and folded the stock front bumper back 45 degrees to the tire without stalling anything, front brakes locked. 1971

clutch slave and master kind of go hand in hand together... therefore its always a good idea to replace both at the same time, you can get your master cylinder through advance auto parts (where i work)... ask for a master cyl for your year vehicle and order the beck arnley one, when you open up the box for the beck arnley you will see the word aisin stamped on it and you'll have yourself a quality master cyl..... for the slave ... repeat

If there is fluid on the inside of the firewall where the pedal linkage connects to the clutch master cylinder, then that is leaking and needs to be replaced.

If you pull the little rubber boot back on the slave cylinder and find fluid in there, the slave cylinder needs to be replaced.

Sometimes a master cylinder can leak internally, not build pressure, and not leak externally, and need to be replaced.

Best bet is to replace both at the same time.

Since you have an earlier truck, you will likely need to get an update kit from SOR or CCOT or other vendor of your choice....

Good luck!

-Steve

with an impact...maybe another angle?...

with full reservoir, doesn't sound like it's leaking anywhere (just read poser's post...man, you learn something new everyday)

...another thought would be to just check the linkage stuff on the pedal and slave. maybe they got jarred loose or broke. I just replaced both so the setup is fresh on my mind...

there's a pedal linkage with a cylinder & cotter-pin holding it to the pedal, maybe the pin came out?

or...at the slave...maybe the push rod that sets into the pickle fork thingie (ok not really a pickle fork but you get the idea) came out or is broken?

....$.02.....

Last edited:
theres an advance auto parts around the corner from me, will replace both, dont want to try and push the truck through a foundation again. i think its leaking internally as poser mentioned on the master. thanks everyone. a brake line went when trying to stop it also, looks like it will be a while longer before this one gets registered, hopefully april

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom