Master Key body is cracked? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My key works, it just has a cracked corner and therefore I can't use it any longer as it'll fall apart. 3 questions please:

1. Can you buy just the key "shell"? If so, I can swap parts out and have a "new" key.

2. Are keys (cracked keys) covered under ToyotaCare Extended Warranty (ya think)?

3. Time to buy a whole new key?

Thanks!

I think there are some key shells on ebay right now John. Don't know how well that solution works though... Worth a try given the cost of a new key.

our key recently gave up the ghost (cracked case, no screw). lexus covered under original warranty. don't know if it was just a new shell or guts too.

See what happens when you wheel a 100 series too hard???
That would've never happened in an 80!

In my list of why 80s are better than 100s, I'll add tougher keys :flipoff2:

NorCalDoug said:
See what happens when you wheel a 100 series too hard???
That would've never happened in an 80!

In my list of why 80s are better than 100s, I'll add tougher keys :flipoff2:

Ya, it was the Crack that cracked the key. :D

Ah....

John, you might get disappointed when you get the "key" from eBay. You can't buy just the shell because the key and the shell is ONE piece, you can't separate the two.

Maybe I am understanding what you are doing wrong but I went through the same thing. Cracked key because the screw comes loose all the time.

Anyway, I did buy a BLANK key from someone at eBay and had the dealer cut it and programmed the key.

Anyway, I hope it works out without buying a $273 key from the dealer. I picked mine up for $91.

Well you might be able to separate the key and the shell then use lots of super glue to hold it together. :)

Amando

PS
I am glad you brought the 100 to Moab. Great job! :) hehehe

i4c4lo said:
Ah....

John, you might get disappointed when you get the "key" from eBay. You can't buy just the shell because the key and the shell is ONE piece, you can't separate the two.

Maybe I am understanding what you are doing wrong but I went through the same thing. Cracked key because the screw comes loose all the time.

Anyway, I did buy a BLANK key from someone at eBay and had the dealer cut it and programmed the key.

Anyway, I hope it works out without buying a $273 key from the dealer. I picked mine up for $91.

Well you might be able to separate the key and the shell then use lots of super glue to hold it together. :)

Amando

PS
I am glad you brought the 100 to Moab. Great job! :) hehehe

Lovely. Oh well, there's $25 shot. :mad:

Ya, where were you during Moab ya bum! :D

One key to keeping the remote/key cases from breaking is to keep the screw nice and tight. When the screw gets loose the case flexes and the stress breaks the case. Checking the case and tightening with a small screwdriver will make your key case last longer. I've tried lock-tite but still had to tighten after a couple of months.

When you replace the whole unit (probably going to happen eventually) replace it with a Camry-type seperate key and remote set up. Cdan has a set-up that he is sure will work but I've been cheaping along with only one remote/key until the truck is payed for.

I have a Camry key that I give to any one that needs a key, (ie mechanics) so they don’t F’up my good remote key! I have had that happen at a glass shop. I chewed some A** and they ate the key.
I’ve checked my screw and sure enough it was loose! I used some lock-tite and it should work. Mathew, what lock-tite did you use? It’s just a fine thread screw, cant be that hard to hold it in.

I used the blue medium strength lock-tite and was really shocked when I found it loose again. Maybe a freak lock-tite failure I guess. I'll try it again.

I have one broken master key/remote unit that I keep in the house as my "backup master key".

NMuzj100 said:
I have one broken master key/remote unit that I keep in the house as my "backup master key".

I have one as a spare too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom