MARYLAND IMPORT/INSPECTION RECOMMENDATIONS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
I'll be putting the HJ61 on the boat at the end of July and expect to see it again in Baltimore port towards the end of September. I'll be in an Airbnb in Fort Washington still at that time I'm sure. I have a few questions maybe y'all know the answers to.

1) I'm guessing that I'll either have to have the truck flat-bedded down from Baltimore, or, I'll be able to get temp tags to pick it up at the port and drive it back down. Any suggestions for tow services out of Baltimore?

2) my checklist states "Maryland safety inspection (if applicable)". am I exempt from the inspection requirement? If not, does my inspection have to be at a MVA/official site or is it done at certified service stations/dealership? I read that the new VEIP program exempts pre-1996 vehicles, but I'm assuming that I need to do at least one inspection as this is an import that's never been titled/registered in the US. If i do need an inspection, do you have recommendations? I sure don't want to end up at some Toyota-hating spot that is going to freak out over the RHD and mods and make my life hell.

I'd love to hear from anyone that's done the import dance in Maryland or knows anything about it.

Your vehicle will go to the Fairfield/Masonville Terminals or the private Chesapeake and Atlantic auto terminal near Dundalk. If you need real specifics call Larry Johnson at 410-385-4472 he can send you a guide on the timing costs and requirements to get your vehicle through customs. As far as the MD inspection good luck with that.

I took my JDM HZJ73 to Gili’s Automotive in Rockville MD | Rockville Auto Repair
For MD inspection. They told me that my truck wasn’t the first RHD vehicle they’ve inspected. First, you have to figure out how you’ll register it. I use mine as a daily so it had to pass inspection. If you register It as antique or hot rod, no inspection is required but there are limitations to driving it. MD inspections are a one time thing and vehicles 25+ older are exempt from emissions testing. I bought my truck from someone who had already titled it stateside so I can’t tell you anything about import documents. I went to a tag and title place instead of MVA and registered there. I got temp tags/registration to start and after I passed inspection, went back and got my final registration. It also took a few weeks for them to process and send me my new title. The JDM VIN is different than US vehicles so it’s not in the system and they have to process it manually.

I hope this helps, good luck!

I took my JDM HZJ73 to Gili’s Automotive in Rockville MD | Rockville Auto Repair
For MD inspection. They told me that my truck wasn’t the first RHD vehicle they’ve inspected. First, you have to figure out how you’ll register it. I use mine as a daily so it had to pass inspection. If you register It as antique or hot rod, no inspection is required but there are limitations to driving it. MD inspections are a one time thing and vehicles 25+ older are exempt from emissions testing. I bought my truck from someone who had already titled it stateside so I can’t tell you anything about import documents. I went to a tag and title place instead of MVA and registered there. I got temp tags/registration to start and after I passed inspection, went back and got my final registration. It also took a few weeks for them to process and send me my new title. The JDM VIN is different than US vehicles so it’s not in the system and they have to process it manually.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks for the insight!

Your vehicle will go to the Fairfield/Masonville Terminals or the private Chesapeake and Atlantic auto terminal near Dundalk. If you need real specifics call Larry Johnson at 410-385-4472 he can send you a guide on the timing costs and requirements to get your vehicle through customs. As far as the MD inspection good luck with that.

at first I assumed that I would be able to get a temp tag and drive it out of the port, but maybe that was wishful thinking, lol. Any ideas about reliable tow services? I imagine it'll need to be flatbedded from the port to wherever I'm at. I'm going to be in my airbnb in Fort Washington when the truck arrives.

I’m not sure which tow services you can use there. There are certain areas that only allow certain companies to move cars because it is a customs holding area. If the vehicle has been released from customs I think you can use any tow service.

I’m not sure which tow services you can use there. There are certain areas that only allow certain companies to move cars because it is a customs holding area. If the vehicle has been released from customs I think you can use any tow service.
Thanks. Perhaps Mr. Larry Johnson will know? I’ll give him a ring in the future then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom