Martinez Cabin Damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So is Martinez now completely closed due to the downed tree?

I guess it may not matter since jackasses continue to deface the buildings in the area leaving the property owners no real choice but to deny access.....which I'm sure Tucson FO will completely support as they've been trying to close this trail for at least 8 years.

It'd be a shame to lose this great, scenic trail. Is there anything that can be done to save it?

Sean

Mr. King? Holy s***! You still wheel? WOW, it's great to see you here!

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the man resposible for my madness!

BMAN said:
Mr. King? Holy s***! You still wheel? WOW, it's great to see you here!

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the man resposible for my madness!

Wow! That's a pretty serious accusation. I'm sure there's a slander suit in there somewhere for Mr. King ;p

Unfortunatley for BMAN....it's all true. :)

I doubt the person who wrote those signs is really that young. My guess would be that it's a Mr. Tom Taylor who works as a volunteer for TFO and has been defacing the cabins with his retarded signs for years now. I've seen him in person at various land agency meetings....he's an older guy....not that it really matters.

As for the vandalism claim regarding the cabin's damage. I haven't seen any other photos and I'm inclined to agree with the OP who obviously saw this in person......however, I've been in that canyon when flash floods hit and water does indeed rush through that cabin. I'm not saying that the walls fell b/c of flash flood conditions (as I mentioned I haven't seen this cabin since the walls fell) only that it IS possible. I'm definitely NOT going to add fuel to the BLM's fire to try and get this trail closed either; at least not without definitive, indisputeable proof that such vandalism occurred.

Sean

I think that there would be more than enough clubs and volunteers that would want to get involved in the rebuilding of the rock house. Just to get "permission" from BLM to cut the tree so as to get through with a tow behind cement mixer, some supplies, and some sweat labor is all it would take really. BLM more than likely doesn't want to hear that though, casue it's just easier for them to just close it for good now with what has happened.

Anyone know what the decision was with the tree? Thinking of running up there this weekend, but if there is a tree blocking the trail...it's kinda hard to get the jeep through.....

Sean, you get back on the trails yet?

No.....working on it. I updated things (at least where they stand right now) in the "introduce yourself" thread at the top of this forum.

I'm hoping by sometime in November, but I've missed so many completion dates that I'm not holding out much hope at this point. :)

I don't know of any ruling on the tree. IMO, if even a giant redwood in the Redwood National Forest fell across the roadway entrance and was blocking access, my guess is that the Forestry Service would remove it. I see no reason why this situation should be any different.

The tree in question is now blocking a recognized and legal right of way. It should be removed, or a suitable bypass should be allowed if someone objects to cutting a fallen, yet still alive tree.

JMO,
Sean

Last edited:
I spoke to a pair of Jeepers at ther end of the Box Canyon who said they drove around tree in question. Second hand info so take it for what its worth.

I've talked to a few people who have also driven around the tree. It was their first time at Martinez...

ahh, rumor confirmed by rumor - maybe I should go check it out instead of going to work tomorrow...:idea:

maybe i'm not thinking straight but wouldnt by pasing the tree to drive in be more fuel for permanent closure?? and isnt that all private land so its not a "right of way"?? i dont know just sayin.

Good point RHINO. I'm not exactly sure of the current standing of the private property in Martinez. For the longest time, the whole canyon was privately owned. I'm not sure who or what govt. entity may own the canyon or even if there is a "right of way". I mispoke with regards to that.

As for a bypass for the tree.....perhaps you misunderstood my meaning.

What I meant was: Tucson BLM or whoever is in charge needs to address this issue by either allowing a bypass so continued access can be enjoyed by all of the canyon's users or the downed tree needs to be removed (or winched/braced back into original position).

JMO,
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom