Martinez Cabin Damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
leeobrien.blogspot.com
BradP (another board), Relix, and I romped through Box Canyon letting the kids play in the water. Fun stuff. Eventually we decided to visit Martinez Cabins. Well, rememebr how ya drop down and enter a stand of Cottonwoods sheltering a small concrete water catchment? One of those big old Cottonwood that has decided to fall and block the trail - just a 1/4 mile from the cabins.
MCabin-Entrance.jpg

That small sign on the tree:
MCabin-Entrance-Sign.jpg

Trees happen, no big deal, but upstream of the water catchment somebody decided to blaze a trail. That way is now blocked by a nastygram reporting it to the BLM.

Oh well, we walked. Here's what we found:
MCabin-Damage.jpg

Somebody has a poor sense of self-worth and consideration for others.

did you take a picture of the bypass sign?

I've never been out there, though I plan to go soon. It's a real shame to see this kind of vandalism, and to know that there are so many f'in idiots out there that have no conscience about destroying historical sites. The mothers raised em wrong!

It is really nice to know that the people in this club share my views. I went to the last meeting and LCPhil got away before I knew he was the guy that handles that stuff. I plan on joining the club at the next meeting.

Later,

Relix said:
did you take a picture of the bypass sign?
Here ya go:
wildcat-sign.jpg

I did not capture the stuff painted on the corrigated metal siding too well, but this gets the message across.

Not just photos, but digital photos taken. Oh dear.

I like his penmanship. Nice straight lines. His spelling leaves something to be desired though.

-Spike

actually digital photos can be doctored - more acceptable proof would be analog or polaroid :D

nice work Lee

The person who wrote those has been a draftsman at some point in their life. The line work and all caps writing is a dead give away.

By the looks of the lettering style he was a mechanical or civil draftman and not architectural.

BMAN said:
The person who wrote those has been a draftsman at some point in their life. The line work and all caps writing is a dead give away.

By the looks of the lettering style he was a mechanical or civil draftsman and not architectural.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :D You say "draftsman" like that's a bad thing.
Pencil drafting and lettering guides faded away from drafting by the early 90's. I'll bet this do gooder isn't old enough to remember a President before Bush 1 or vinyl records.

If he/she is a draftsman, they are not very good at planning a sentence. 1st line, big letters and spaces. Next line getting tighter and smaller as they realize they're running out of room.

I dunno, better than I could do with a crayon and a piece of siding on short notice!

On subject, another board I'm on is postulating that the damage to the mud hut might be natural.

-Spike

Ask the people on the other board how many mud huts they've seen explode from the inside out on the down stream side of and potential raging torrents?

Cliff... I am a draftsman... and I'd venture to guess that your statement about age is correct. I'd also venture to guess that the author has spent less time on a board in his life than I've done on breaks.

100_3326.jpg

The jury is out on it. The existence of a crack just to the right of the corner makes the theory a little more plausible.
Seems possible, with the right combination of wind and wet. Note the already leaning wall, albeit seemingly in the wrong direction. Just a thought.

-Spike

from the two pictures , the collapse/vandalism apears to have happened to the right of the crack...

After further review I'm now CONVINCED it was vandalism. The wall shown in the 2nd pic with the truck in front of it clearly shows that wall leaning in towards the interior of the house. In the damage pic the rubble is blown out and away from the structure. I believe there was some type of interior surfacing, drywall or otherwise, should have been present on top of that pile of rubble had it not first been stripped from the inside to expose the rock walls to the vandals.

Anyone that tries to tell you or convince you that this was not vandalism, is a retard. That cabin has been sitting there for over 50 years...and it just now decides to "fall" down.:rolleyes: HAHA...tell me another one.

I have been wheelin' in that area for at least 10 years now, and in that time I have seen the Coke Ovens go to he!!, the cabin at the Coke Ovens go to he!!, 2 other "shacks" in the area go to he!!, the white ranch house along the main wash in Box Canyon also go to he!!, and the cabins at Martinez go to he!!. There was a time when I wheeled out there that all those structures were as they were left and totally intact, and some of them were still being used even (cabin at Coke Ovens, and the small tan cabin at Martinez).

I find it hard to believe that it was just coincidence, or by act of mother nature, these structures all decided to just call it a day and collapse in this period of time. I am surprised the Martinez Mill and the Coke Ovens are still intact (even though they have taken some abuse over the recent years).

Let's just blow it all up and call it done..that way we won't have to worry about these a**hats ruining anything ever again.

RANT OFF :mad:

Tell us how you really feel John...

Actually I'd like to see some of the original pics you have of those structures unmolested. Would ya dig em up for us...

Click Them For Biggun's

This is what USED to be inside the last Coke Oven.
This is what the house at the Coke Ovens USED to look like.
You guys that were on the Coke Oven cleanup know what it looks like now.
Another.
And another.
Here is a pic of the cabin in question in this thread...what it USED to look like.

I have pics of many of the old buildings around the area before the vandals got to them...but I have no clue where they are...I can't find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom