March 2022 Club Run - March 18-20 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the insanely high fuel prices and with most individuals having some type of club membership, I noticed that the COSTCO and SAMS clubs were in close proximity to each other just before crossing the Santa Clarita river on HWY 14. This could be a good spot to meet.
The Santa Clarita Costco is right off the freeway (Hwy 14) at Via Princessa. There is also a Mobil & a Shell station very close by. Sam's Club is about 10 minutes off the freeway, for any Sam's Club members. There is also a MacDonalds at the corner of Via Princessa & Sierra Hwy. I suggest those of us coming up the 14 to the 395 should meet at the MacDonalds, at 8:00 AM, fueled up & ready to roll. Given the spiking gas prices, lines may be a little longer than usual, though Costco gas lines tend to move very quickly. In any event, please allow enough time for fueling up, grabbing a bite to eat, and using the restroom, to still be rolling at 8:00 AM.

For any who want to come up the 15 to either 138 & 14 to Palmdale, or straight to the 395; we should be passing through Palmdale at about 8:45 AM, and through Lone Pine by about 10:45-11:00 AM. If all goes well, we should hit Big Pine by about noon for a lunch/comfort stop; and Eureka Dunes by about 3:00 PM, so plenty of time to set up camp & prepare dinner before dark.

Does that sound good to everyone?

Sounds great!!!

I am waiting on funding for training to begin on the 14th, If the funding doesn't come through I am good for a early morning Friday departure and return on Sunday.
Funding got approved, so I am going to have to miss this trip.

Here are the plans, as of now:

The folks I think are attending:

Dirtyrice Joe
Brentbba
grannygear
wizteq
Ttoner80
AchillesY
Cruiser Chick

Retro LC & family
Sidesx4 & Evan
Rockys60
TemboTusk
Chris V
Travis V.

Since we will have several folks taking different routes, we’ll have a few possible link-up points. For those heading to Santa Clarita (I-5 to Hwy 14), I’m planning to get there early enough to grab a bite, fuel up at the Santa Clarita Costco (Via Princessa exit off Hwy 14), and be ready to roll by 8:00 AM. I guess that means I’ll be leaving Mission Viejo at about 5:00 AM… There are few other fuel options in the area (see post #21).

So, our first link-up point will the McDonald’s parking lot across from Costco, HERE. Leaving Santa Clarita at 8:00 AM, northbound on HWY 14, we should be passing through Palmdale around 8:45, and Lone Pine by around 11:00 AM.

Our second link up point will be Big Pine, at about noon. I’m planning to stop for fuel, and for lunch at Copper Top BBQ. If all has gone well so far, we should be leaving Big Pine at around 1:00 PM, eastbound on Hwy 168 to Death Valley-Big Pine Road, and on to Eureka Dunes for our 1st night camping.

From there, I’m planning South Eureka Road/Steel Pass through the Saline Valley Springs area, and on to the Racetrack Playa area for our 2nd night of camping. Sunday, we’ll head over to Tea Kettle Junction to Hunter Mountain Road and out South Pass to Hwy 190 and Olancha.

Please note:

1) We’ll be going approximately 190 miles with no services. Bring plenty of water and extra fuel!

2) Part of this route will be fairly high speed paved road, part will be slower dirt road, part will be washboard, and part will be slower technical trail. Everything should be suitable for stock vehicles, and even 2WD. The most difficult spots may require a little spotting.

3) We’ll be in Death Valley National Park, so if you have a park pass, don’t forget to bring it.

4) We’ll be monitoring Ham radio channel 146.535, and I’ll have my cell phone with me for when we have cell service.

I’m looking forward to seeing you all!

Last edited:
So a change in route and not going up to Ubhebe Crater and down to Racetrack, staying there then down Lippencott to Saline Valley Road and out the South Pass? Dedecker Canyon to Steel Pass has a waterfall climb just out of Eureka Dunes that is not doable for stock trucks. Just did that route over New Years. Thought you'd planned on backtracking a little out of Eureka Dunes up by Sulpher Mine back to Death Valley Road to Ubehebe Crater?

So a change in route and not going up to Ubhebe Crater and down to Racetrack, staying there then down Lippencott to Saline Valley Road and out the South Pass? Dedecker Canyon to Steel Pass has a waterfall climb just out of Eureka Dunes that is not doable for stock trucks. Just did that route over New Years. Thought you'd planned on backtracking a little out of Eureka Dunes up by Sulpher Mine back to Death Valley Road to Ubehebe Crater?
Thanks for the feedback, Brent. You are correct on the route change. I always want to be sensitive to each rig/driver's capabilities, and not lead anyone into a bad or potentially damaging situation. I think this route will be suitable, based on my research & feedback from other's recent trips. That said, however, there are several ways to get around the park. If we need to modify the route, we will do so.

Here are the plans, as of now:

The folks I think are attending:

Dirtyrice Joe (and Robin, schedule permitting)
Brentbba
grannygear (?)
wizteq
Retro LC & family
Live to Ski (?)
Sidesx4 & Evan
Ttoner80
TemboTusk
AchillesY
Rockys60
Chris V
Travis V.

Since we will have several folks taking different routes, we’ll have a few possible link-up points. For those heading to Santa Clarita (I-5 to Hwy 14), I’m planning to get there early enough to grab a bite, fuel up at the Santa Clarita Costco (Via Princessa exit off Hwy 14), and be ready to roll by 8:00 AM. I guess that means I’ll be leaving Mission Viejo at about 5:00 AM… There are few other fuel options in the area (see post #21).

So, our first link-up point will the lot across from Costco. Leaving Santa Clarita at 8:00 AM, northbound on HWY 14, we should be passing through Palmdale around 8:45, and Lone Pine by around 11:00 AM.

Our second link up point will be Big Pine, at about noon. I’m planning to stop for fuel, and for lunch at Copper Top BBQ. If all has gone well so far, we should be leaving Big Pine at around 1:00 PM, eastbound on Hwy 168 to Death Valley-Big Pine Road, and on to Eureka Dunes for our 1st night camping.

From there, I’m planning South Eureka Road/Steel Pass through the Saline Valley Springs area, and on to the Racetrack Playa area for our 2nd night of camping. Sunday, we’ll head over to Tea Kettle Junction to Hunter Mountain Road and out South Pass to Hwy 190 and Olancha.

Please note:

1) We’ll be going approximately 190 miles with no services. Bring plenty of water and extra fuel!

2) Part of this route will be fairly high speed paved road, part will be slower dirt road, part will be washboard, and part will be slower technical trail. Everything should be suitable for stock vehicles, and even 2WD. The most difficult spots may require a little spotting.

3) We’ll be in Death Valley National Park, so if you have a park pass, don’t forget to bring it.

4) We’ll be monitoring Ham radio channel 146.535, and I’ll have my cell phone with me for when we have cell service.

I’m looking forward to seeing you all!
Sounds great Joe :
meet you at McDonald’s parking lot.

Grannygear is in! I assume you are speaking of the Mickey Ds at the corner of Sierra and Via Princessa? It's near Costco but not across from it. Joe...can you IM me your cell number in case? I will also be on the Ham as I get in the area. I am local to Santa Clarita.

There is a small campground on the north end of Big Pine. Literally across the highway from where we turn off and very close to Copper Top too!!

Grannygear is in! I assume you are speaking of the Mickey Ds at the corner of Sierra and Via Princessa? It's near Costco but not across from it. Joe...can you IM me your cell number in case? I will also be on the Ham as I get in the area. I am local to Santa Clarita.
Yes, that's the McDonalds - HERE. It is across Via Princessa, from Costco, isn't it? I'll PM you my cell number. Look forward to seeing you!

If anybody wants to leave a day early, I will be camping at the Pinnacles Thursday night. Hopefully in the Crown. Leaving OC after about 12 noon Thursday. (If the planets align and space junk doesn't hit the moon!) 714-396-4549 text or phone. 2-meter radio: 146.535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom