March 2022 Club Run - March 18-20 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At our last meeting, club members expressed interest in a Death Valley club run. Since we did the southern (and more visited) area of DVNP in October of 2020 (see photos here), I thought it might be fun to visit the northern part of the park. However, because it’s farther away, it would need to be a three-day trip. Who’s up for that? Here’s a suggested itinerary (many thanks to Club Treasurer Jerry L’Ecuyer for help planning this itinerary!):

Friday – Meet in Santa Clarita, off Hwy 14, at 8:00 AM on Friday, 3/18/22; and caravan up through the Owens Valley to Big Pine. Top off our fuel tanks and then head over to Eureka Dunes to camp our 1st night. With lunch/comfort/fuel stops, we should reach Eureka Dunes early enough in the afternoon to set up camp & have a nice dinner. About 50 miles for this leg from Big Pine to Eureka Dunes.​

Saturday – Backtrack a bit and head north & east to the Sulfur Mine area and pick up Death Valley Road, then head back south to Ubehebe Crater and the Race Track. Camp our 2nd night just past the Race Track. About 95 miles for this leg.​

Sunday – Head out to Lippencot Road, and then out Saline Valley over another pass to a paved road that would bring us back to Big Pine for fuel & the trip home. Per Google Maps, that’s about 200 miles round trip to Big Pine . My Gaia GPS says 175 mile RT. I’m not sure why the difference… In any case, we’d all need to make sure we had adequate fuel for this trip. We should hit Big Pine early enough to make it home Sunday night, but it might be a long day. About 55 miles for the leg back to Big Pine.​

So, here are the questions:
  • How many of you are interested in a 3-day trip like this?
  • Is 3½ weeks enough notice for you to make the necessary work/family arrangements to make Friday, 3/18 – Sunday, 3/20, available?
  • If a 3-day trip wouldn’t fit your schedule, would a closer day trip (with maybe an overnight camping option Saturday night) fit your schedule better?
Will you please consider our options and give me feedback on this thread? We can also discuss this further at our March 6th club meeting, but I wanted to give you as much notice as possible for planning purposes.

Last edited:
Nice itinerary. You'd go out the North pass from Lippincott instead of the south pass?? Just did Big Pine to Eureka Dunes. Easy road, even while snowing. Pics at junction of Death Valley road and Saline Valley road toward North pass .

20211230_090548.jpg

20211230_090612.jpg

I'm very interested. I'd suggest going out the south pass to 190. Might be quicker from Lippincott and get you out to 395 much further south than back to Big Pine.

I need to see if I can move my 3.21 platelet donation to Tuesday and consider staying an extra night at the warm springs.

I've moved my Monday platelet donation to Tuesday. I'd probably stay at the warm springs Sunday night and head home Monday if thus trip is a go.

I am interested in this trip. Looks good. Seems to be light interest though.
Yeah, with almost 200 views I've only gotten 5 responses. However, we do have a number of active club members who are not active on 'MUD. We should know more on Sunday at our March club meeting. I hope you're able to make it there!

Yea!!

I will say if Dave is on the fence that Lippincott is not trailer friendly with one nasty hairpin turn.

Yeah, with almost 200 views I've only gotten 5 responses. However, we do have a number of active club members who are not active on 'MUD. We should know more on Sunday at our March club meeting. I hope you're able to make it there!
Not likely...big drive for me to a meeting. I will be watching the thread though. The tech rating of this route....low to moderate? As of now I am setting time aside for it.

Not likely...big drive for me to a meeting. I will be watching the thread though. The tech rating of this route....low to moderate? As of now I am setting time aside for it.
I've driven all but the small section to the Sulphur Mine area. All low to moderate. Road from Ubehebe to Racetrack stinks (washboard) and Lippincott grade has some tight areas but not difficult obstacles.

Unfortuntaely, I won't be able to make the trip up by Friday morning this time around. A closer one night trip would be preferred for me, but dont let me stop ya'll! I was just up by Teakettle/Race Track last week and DVNP is definately worth the 3 day trip!

507A1835.jpg

507A1867.jpg

I am waiting on funding for training to begin on the 14th, If the funding doesn't come through I am good for a early morning Friday departure and return on Sunday.

Nice itinerary. You'd go out the North pass from Lippincott instead of the south pass?? Just did Big Pine to Eureka Dunes. Easy road, even while snowing. Pics at junction of Death Valley road and Saline Valley road toward North pass .

View attachment 2934061

View attachment 2934062
Now that is some awesome DV scenery with the snow! Pretty sure I am in for this one. Won't know for sure though until the date gets closer.

At our last meeting, club members expressed interest in a Death Valley club run. Since we did the southern (and more visited) area of DVNP in October of 2020 (see photos here), I thought it might be fun to visit the northern part of the park. However, because it’s farther away, it would need to be a three-day trip. Who’s up for that? Here’s a suggested itinerary (many thanks to Club Treasurer Jerry L’Ecuyer for help planning this itinerary!):

Friday – Meet in Santa Clarita, off Hwy 14, at 8:00 AM on Friday, 3/18/22; and caravan up through the Owens Valley to Big Pine. Top off our fuel tanks and then head over to Eureka Dunes to camp our 1st night. With lunch/comfort/fuel stops, we should reach Eureka Dunes early enough in the afternoon to set up camp & have a nice dinner. About 50 miles for this leg from Big Pine to Eureka Dunes.​

Saturday – Backtrack a bit and head north & east to the Sulfur Mine area and pick up Death Valley Road, then head back south to Ubehebe Crater and the Race Track. Camp our 2nd night just past the Race Track. About 95 miles for this leg.​

Sunday – Head out to Lippencot Road, and then out Saline Valley over another pass to a paved road that would bring us back to Big Pine for fuel & the trip home. Per Google Maps, that’s about 200 miles round trip to Big Pine . My Gaia GPS says 175 mile RT. I’m not sure why the difference… In any case, we’d all need to make sure we had adequate fuel for this trip. We should hit Big Pine early enough to make it home Sunday night, but it might be a long day. About 55 miles for the leg back to Big Pine.​

So, here are the questions:
  • How many of you are interested in a 3-day trip like this?
  • Is 3½ weeks enough notice for you to make the necessary work/family arrangements to make Friday, 3/18 – Sunday, 3/20, available?
  • If a 3-day trip wouldn’t fit your schedule, would a closer day trip (with maybe an overnight camping option Saturday night) fit your schedule better?
Will you please consider our options and give me feedback on this thread? We can also discuss this further at our March 6th club meeting, but I wanted to give you as much notice as possible for planning purposes.
Yeah, itinerary looks really good.👍 Just plotted all the points on Google Maps and on second glance don't think I can pass up on this trip. I was planning on a spring break trip in April, but a month earlier on these proposed March dates when it's cooler makes more sense.

So to answer your questions:
  • Yes, this is a minimum 3 day trip for me.
  • Yes, already have these dates off, including Monday as well. My son might have to miss his Little League game that weekend (I'll speak with the Mrs about that tonight)
  • N/A, I'm all for this trip :cool:

With the insanely high fuel prices and with most individuals having some type of club membership, I noticed that the COSTCO and SAMS clubs were in close proximity to each other just before crossing the Santa Clarita river on HWY 14. This could be a good spot to meet.

I'm in for this run!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom