Map & Compass Class, August 21 @7pm

Discussion in 'MT- 406 Cruisers' started by wklywilderness, Aug 15, 2018.

1. wklywilderness

wklywilderness Lady with a Lexus SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey cruiser folks,

I will be holding a map and compass class on Tuesday, August 21st at 7pm sharp.

Key details:
    - Bring your own compass if you have one. I will have a very limited quantity of extras. If you don't have one, consider picking one up at REI - basic models with everything you'll need run about $20-40 which is pretty cheap insurance! Make sure you get one with a baseplate.
    - Location: Creekwood Park (cul de sac of Creekwood Drive) coordinates: 45.705580, -111.004781
    - We will begin PROMPTLY at 7pm to ensure we have enough daylight. Please arrive a few minutes early to settle in.

We will go over the following:

Maps 101:
    - Quick Geography essentials: latitude, longitude, elevation and North, West, East, South on planet Earth
    - How maps represent the real world
    - Topo maps and map symbols
    *maps of the area generously provided by Axles & Antennas

Compass 101:
    - Parts of a compass
    - Where is North??
    - How to take a heading
    - How to maintain a set course

Putting it together- answering the 2 most important questions:
    - "where am I?" - triangulating your position
    - "how do I get there? - plot a course and follow it.

My qualifications:
    I have a graduate certificate in cartography and Geographic Information Systems. I am also an experienced backcountry hiker and backpacker. In October I will be competing in the Rebelle Rally, an all-women's offroad navigational rally-raid that takes place in the California and Nevada desert over 8 days, using only analog navigation... no GPS! I am part of Team Free Range Dames (which you can follow at teamfreerangedames.com or @teamfreerangedames on facebook/instagram). Feel free to stay after the class to chat about the Rebelle, GPS systems, advanced analog navigation, women in the offroad industry, etc.

I look forward to seeing you guys there!

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.