Manual valve vacuum shift conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well I got the valve today. It's a 5-way pneumatic valve made by Norgren and looks like it'll do the job for replacing my solenoids. Tomorrow and Saturday I'll be working on the conversion and if everything goes well, I'll post a writeup on how to do it, complete with pics and part numbers. This valve looks pretty stout and should hold out for a good long time. It's a toggle, but unfortunately the toggle itself is too large to put any kind of switch guard on it.

I have one problem though, and that's figuring out how exactly I'm going to route the vacuum lines into the cabin (dash area specifically). I'm thinking I won't be able to get out of drilling my firewall this time, so what are some safe spots to drill it from the side of the engine compartment where I won't have to worry about damaging anything? Or, any suggestions that'll avoid me having to drill would be even better.

Bump/update :D

Did the conversion today, and the valve works flawlessly. I can now easily shift from 4WD to 2WD and back by flipping a toggle switch as opposed to pushing a button, and with the elimination of electrical parts, there is one less thing to eventually fail. The complete conversion was done for about 45 bucks, plus a little extra work to route the vacuum lines into the cab. I'll do up a writeup one day this week if I get around to it (gonna be a busy week).

I can now shift between 2WD and 4WD, and high and low ranges seperately. In other words, I now have the added option of 2LO :D

This'll hold me until I rebuild my tcase and swap an FJ60's shift mechanism in with a twin stick setup.

Can't wait to see the write up on this!!! and let's see some pics !!!!

Let me know how it holds up I thought of doing something like this myself but found a solonoid(sp) for now.

Burl

VA.CRUISER said:
Can't wait to see the write up on this!!! and let's see some pics !!!!

Let me know how it holds up I thought of doing something like this myself but found a solonoid(sp) for now.

Burl

It went much easier than I originally thought it would. The only real problem was the tight fit for the valve. I mounted it on the blank plate just above the ashtray, and I'm relocating the 4WD indicator light as well, just to keep them close together. Looks pretty clean though. If you're sitting in the cab, all you see is a big black toggle above the ashtray.

89s rule said:
interesting. I would mind knowing how this worked out.

So far, I'm lovin it. I played around with the "new" 2LO option today, and it's torquey as all hell. It's set up now so that the vacuum valve controls shifting between 2WD and 4WD, and the stick shifts between high, neutral and low gears. I found a problem with the way I routed the vacuum hoses though. It blocks the lever that opens and closes the interior vent, so I can't put my fan on recirc. I rarely ever use it, but I'd like to at least keep the lever's functionality.

So Spook50 wheres the write man can't wait to see since I'm having trouble again with mine

Burl

VA.CRUISER said:
So Spook50 wheres the write man can't wait to see since I'm having trouble again with mine

Burl

I still have to get pics and work out the last couple details with mounting the valve and a new 4WD indicator light, but once I get those fleshed out, I should be able to get the writeup finished in just a couple days. I've got to go TDY this week, so I'm hoping that gives me a little time to work on it (the writeup, that is). It's to Hawaii though, so I might be too busy downing mai tais :D

Hey have FUN on TDY and let me know when you get it done.

Found out that my problem is not the solenoids but possibly the relay so the search carries on

Burl

Damn I really need to sit my ass down and get that writeup finished....

Post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post post

I know it is getting a bit old now but any update on this mod as I would really like the Lo2 option ?

Jeez I suck. How long have I been putting it off now? Master of procrastination; that's me :rolleyes:

I'll get my pics rounded up and see if I can get some work done on it tomorrow...

Writeup! Lets see this conversion. I don't see why you guys do this but we all have priorities I guess. I love the electronic shifting capability.

My bad, I didn't read through the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom