Manual locking hubs on Tacoma...worth it? stay tuned (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

skully3

SILVER Star
Threads
I finally broke down and went for it. I ordered all the parts I needed last week and got around to doing it. I have seen multiple "how to" articles on this topic and not one did the job from start to finish on their own. The hard part for me is over and my knuckle assemblies are ready for install, which I am hoping to do tomorrow night. If anyone has any questions lmk I will be happy to answer. Pics to follow.

I am really bad at taking b4 pics. Knuckles ready for re-assembly. pressed all the old junk out and sand blasted painted. make sure you tape off the bores b4 hand and then wash them down to get all the grit off.

image.jpeg

A lot of ppl saying you need a 50 ton press. I used a beat up 20ton with no issues. Just be sure that all is straight b4 you start crankin that handle. Below bearings in with outer seals and manual hubs ready for install. The best article is here. http://www.tacoma.cc/press-the-bearings-into-the-knuckles-part-2.html

image (1).jpeg

Make sure you put the splash covers on before you press the hub in or you wont be happy.

image (2).jpeg

be sure to use the small (thin) spacer on the back side of the hub before the locking nut. I made my own tools because a: I hate to spend $ and b: I only have a 3/4 drive torque wrench that goes to 203 ft lbs.

image (6).jpeg

Also don't be a dummy and torque the backing nut like these guys in this article. you will screw up your wheel studs...

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/orsmanhub/orsmanhub.htm

P7220017.jpg

take the extra time or $ and make yourself a holding plate. I'm sure a jig saw and drill could get it done.

image (4).jpeg

After you are sure that it is torqued to spec. (203 ft lbs) peen over the flange part of the nut into the groove of the hub.

image (5).jpeg

image (7).jpeg

That is one sweet tool you made ! I want to borrow it. Looking to do this mod myself in the near future....right now I have to save my dough for a paint job on the 40 though......CHEERS!

That is one sweet tool you made ! I want to borrow it. Looking to do this mod myself in the near future....right now I have to save my dough for a paint job on the 40 though......CHEERS!

You are welcome to borrow it. Just keep in mind it is set up for a 3/4 " drive. Not 1/2". The mod was def worth it. No noise in the front end it almost feels to good to drive with no vibration. Pm me with your info when you are ready ill send it to you. Just be sure to send it back

Will do! Thank you very much :beer:

Cheers!

Subscribed. Ive been wanting to do this for a while.

Last edited:
Props to you for making your own tool! I bought this one with out any problems. I heard the vendor was sending out the wrong part hence the low rating. Curious why you didn't buy Manual Hub Spindles. Are you pressing in the hubs to retain ABS? Or did you just want all new parts. http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W1272-...374&sr=8-1&keywords=tacoma+wheel+bearing+tool

I am assuming you are referring to the "knuckle". The part numbers are the same from manual to ADD. I saved some money by pressing out the old stuff and installing new. my truck was not equipped with ABS and the only difference there is a small spacer in place of the ABS ring. that tool you posted looks good and is cheap. checked out ur build, nice work on that 5 speed!

I am assuming you are referring to the "knuckle". The part numbers are the same from manual to ADD. I saved some money by pressing out the old stuff and installing new. my truck was not equipped with ABS and the only difference there is a small spacer in place of the ABS ring. that tool you posted looks good and is cheap. checked out ur build, nice work on that 5 speed!

Sorry.. Force of habit calling a knuckle a spindle. My understanding is that you can swap rings but the ABS sensor has no where to mount.

Manual Hub Conversion and ABS? - TTORA Forum

I only ask to add clarification for members that ask me. I have had first had exp with Non-ABS knuckles with no ABS sensor mounting. Interesting that you say its the same part number. Just curious no need to elaborate :D

None the less good work! The 5 Speed swap was a fun swap :D

Did you order the parts individually to do this or did you buy a kit?

WillB, Welcome to mud. I ordered all the part individually from Toyota. A lot of the parts from your truck can be reused. Any questions just ask I will be happy to answer..

skully, thanks for the response. I've been reading up on this conversion off and on for a while. I hope to do it when $ allow in attempt to simplify the drivetrain of my truck. I intend to drive this truck until it turns to dust!! I'll have to investigate the shop situation around here to see if I can find one to help with the bearing install. Not sure if I trust anyone to do it right so I don't have to mess with it again. The rest I believe I can handle. Any more specific info, parts list, etc would be great if it's not too much to ask. Thanks!!

skully, thanks for the response. I've been reading up on this conversion off and on for a while. I hope to do it when $ allow in attempt to simplify the drivetrain of my truck. I intend to drive this truck until it turns to dust!! I'll have to investigate the shop situation around here to see if I can find one to help with the bearing install. Not sure if I trust anyone to do it right so I don't have to mess with it again. The rest I believe I can handle. Any more specific info, parts list, etc would be great if it's not too much to ask. Thanks!!

WillB, This parts list below should get you there...and anyone else looking to do this..just keep in mind this parts list is for non ABS. So I believe that part # 90560-27005 spacer will be substituted with the ABS ring which is already on your vehicle. should run you $800-1000 in parts depending on where you get them from. Also you will see there are no front axles on the list. Go to your local auto parts store and order rebuilds for a NON ADD Tacoma and when they come in swap ur old ones as a core.

Qty Toyota Part# Disc. Notes

2 43502-35160       HUB SUB-ASSY,    

2 90369-54002       BEARING          

2 90316-69001       SEAL, TYPE D O   

2 90312-95001       SEAL, TYPE V O   

1 47703-04030       COVER SUB-ASSY    splash guards mine        

1 47704-35091       COVER SUB-ASSY    were gone

2 43310-39016 JOINT ASSY,FR UPR (good idea while out)

12 42323-60010 WASHER, CONE (only need w/asian hubs)

12 90170-08036 NUT, HEXAGON

12 90080-11282 BOLT, STUD

12 90201-08042 WASHER, PLATE

2 43422-60060 GASKET, FR AXLE

2 43521-35010 free wheel hub nut

2 90560-27005 spacer (goes in between inner bearing race and hub nut) or ABS ring?

2 90520-27023 snap ring

you may brake off some hardware in the knuckles don't be afraid to drill them out by hand and tap them with the right thread size.

Last edited:
Skully, thank you so much. Very helpful. Did your truck have the ADD? If yes, what needs to be done with the ADD system on the diff housing?

Hmm, can't seem to edit my post. Anyway, looks like short of replacing the axle housing and associated parts, you would just leave the ADD system in place as the axles are the same save for the hub-end.

Hmm, can't seem to edit my post. Anyway, looks like short of replacing the axle housing and associated parts, you would just leave the ADD system in place as the axles are the same save for the hub-end.

yes it did, and you are correct axles are the same going into the diff, but different on the hub side. the parts list should be everything you need. minus the locking hubs. I snagged a NOS set of warns for 50 bucks here on mud some time back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom