Magnaflow = WHEEEEEE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so it's not a sports car, but 2.5" pipe, magnaflow hi-flow cat, and a magnaflow muffler definitely makes the beast a bit more fun to drive. Plus, it smogged... which is a bonus, because the old exhaust had more holes than a thick slice of swiss cheese. Had to do some tweaking of the carb, but it passed. All in all, seems like the low-end is still there, while the top end has been improved upon slightly.

Bottom line is, the thing sounds GREAT now. A nice, deep tone, especially under load, with not too much extra resonance over the stock setup. All in all, I'm glad I decided to go Magnaflow over Flowmaster... I'll snap a few pics here in a minute.

Pics:
P5120512.jpg

P5120516.jpg

P5120515.jpg

P5120519.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Where did you buy the muffler? Which model is it?

Last edited:
What cat did you go with?

I am about to finish my exhaust.

Yeah if we could get a price list that would be great. Mine exhaust is barely hanging on now.

How did you do the downpipes from the manifold, thats the tough part.

60 vs. 62 exhaust

granite,

nice tube bending...I dont know much about the 60 vs the 62, but my 62 has two cats meeting up to the muffler. do you know if the 60 exhaust system is the same as a 62? did you only replace from the cat to the tip?

addict

granite,

nice tube bending...I dont know much about the 60 vs the 62, but my 62 has two cats meeting up to the muffler. do you know if the 60 exhaust system is the same as a 62? did you only replace from the cat to the tip?

addict

The 60 system only has one cat, and it's probably 6-8 inches upstream from the muffler. In the pics, it looks like granite has replaced the entire system. I'd like to see more pics of the downpipe as well!!

x2 on the price list or maybe the Part# of the muffler.

A new Exhaust is in my 60's very near future.

Thanks!

I have the magnaflow...love it.

yup, I echo all the positve feedback. sounds great, and I have much better throttle response. Not faster, but I'm getting a little better gas mileage.

I bit the bullet and had Boulder Muffler, (yeah, in Boulder, CO) put it on for me. I don't have part #'s, all I asked was, "hey, I want magnaflow muffler and cat with 2.5" pipe can you do that?" He said, yup, I got that, when you do want to come by?

I might be embarrased at what I paid...and I'm sure things are difference nationwide...and Boulder can be a tad pricey. it's close to me, though.

HTH

exhaust work at a decent shop is never cheap....

don't fret.

I have a Magnaflow w/o a cat using 2 1/2" tubing. I have to say that I don't like it. Perhaps it's the fact there is no cat, but I think it's too loud.

To answer some questions... Let's see.... no new downpipe. They built off of the old one. So, it's original downpipe to 3" hi-flow cat to 2.5" midpipe to Magnaflow to 2.5" tailpipe. However, my muffler guy did add two extra clamps and hangers, and re-welded the (smog pump???) pipe to the downpipe. I wasn't aware that is was fatigued, but apparently it needed a slight repair. I'll try to get part numbers for the cat and the muffler - the ones written down on the invoice don't seem to have a manufacturer's code.

Work was done by Mr. Z's Muffler in Sparks, NV. Total cost, including smog certificate, tax, etc., was $600 out the door, which I felt was a pretty regular deal. The emissions guy he took it to fiddled with the carb a bit to get it to pass smog, too (something I hadn't touched yet), and I seem to be getting better mileage and a bit more power, so there is some added value in that, though it could have been just the muffler. I basically got charged for $parts + 3 hours of labor. I'll give you the breakdown in a minute, just have to find the receipt.

Magnaflow 5"x8", 3"inlet/3"outlet Center/Offset muffler (PN: 12259): $141.95 (online is about $90)
Schultz Hi-flo Cat, 3"inlet/3"outlet (PN: 94016, but looks to be a #2119 by their online catalog) : $221.95
2.5" Mid-pipe: $6.58
2.5" Tailpipe: $26.32
Hangers: $14.50
Stainless hardware: $12.75

Last edited:
Definitely getting more power with this setup. I'm estimating 6-8mph faster UPHILL (to be exact, up-mountain, it's steep), with FAR better throttle response.

Sound Clip?

Please :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom