Magnaflow Resonator Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see mention of folks replacing the OEM muffler with an 18" or 24" Magnaflow and replacing the resonator with tubing and saying it is pretty tame/quiet. Has anyone replaced the muffler with tubing and replaced the resonator with a 4x4x14" Magnaflow 10416? I like some volume but I am guessing that it would be obnoxiously loud.

I was going to get a magnaflow muffler and remove the resonator but my Exhaust shop owner convinced me for $40 to let him remove the muffler, weld in a pipe and that the factory resonator would sound great and just like a magnaflow. I did and he was correct! Loved the sound up until I sold her last week!

Don't suppose you have a sound/video clip? How loud are we talking about?

No but I promise for the money, u won’t be disappointed! ;)

Not loud at all, resonator keeps it to a very nice rumble...

I put an 18" Magnaflow and removed resonator on the 2006 LX we used to have. Loved it. Will do the same on my current 2002. I wouldn't say tame, but not over bearing. I at first left the resonator on but wasn't enough for me, could hardly hear it in the cab. 14" would be different. Have a 14" on our '09 570, leaving resonator on, and it's quit a bit louder. I'm sure the 5.7 makes a difference as well.

This is an old clip and not great but something.

I've replaced my muffler with a magnaflow while keeping the stock resonator. To me, it's the perfect combination. It's definitely louder than stock and you can really hear that V8 when you step on it, but not loud when just cruising.

A friend had the magnaflow installed and removed the stock resonator and he hates it. Way too loud for his taste. I followed him for a bit on a trail run at HIH and it was much louder than mine.

I've replaced my muffler with a magnaflow while keeping the stock resonator. To me, it's the perfect combination. It's definitely louder than stock and you can really hear that V8 when you step on it, but not loud when just cruising.

A friend had the magnaflow installed and removed the stock resonator and he hates it. Way too loud for his taste. I followed him for a bit on a trail run at HIH and it was much louder than mine.
24" or 18" was too loud? And I would venture a guess to say it isn't too loud for me. My daily driver is a 6.2L with 1 7/8" kooks full exhaust to OEM mufflers.

Last edited:
Based on your DD, it won't be too loud for you. He did say there was quite a bit of droning on the highway so maybe that was more of the issue?

I didn't think mine was loud at all having gotten used to it over a long period of time, but I hopped in a 20k mile 2007 LC and I was blown away by how quiet it was. Definitely prefer mine to that.

I removed the 24" stock muffler and left the resonator. It is a bit tame for my tastes on acceleration and idle. I have only been up to 60mph or so and although it is louder than before I do not think the drone will be bad. I will have to spend some time at 70 or 80mph on the highway to come to a definitive conclusion though.

I, for one, hate poorly executed loud exhausts. LOTB's exhaust would be too loud for me, I don't like the obnoxious sound and the phelgmy gurgle on decel. Could just be the mic on the camera. I replaced my monster muffler with a Thrush Hush. At idle it's a slightly deeper note and on full acceleration you can certainly hear the V8. Never too obnoxious even with the windows down. At 70-80 on the freeway you really can't hear it as it's drowned out by the wind noise. For me it's perfect.

I, for one, hate poorly executed loud exhausts. LOTB's exhaust would be too loud for me, I don't like the obnoxious sound and the phelgmy gurgle on decel. Could just be the mic on the camera. I replaced my monster muffler with a Thrush Hush. At idle it's a slightly deeper note and on full acceleration you can certainly hear the V8. Never too obnoxious even with the windows down. At 70-80 on the freeway you really can't hear it as it's drowned out by the wind noise. For me it's perfect.
Oh I agree with you fully. If magnaflow made a full stainless, well engineered, cat-back system I would have been the first to buy it. I have had their systems on a trans am and a tacoma and loved it. However the only system I could find was borla. I had a borla cat-back installed on a 2005 GTO and I think it was actually quieter than stock. The tone wasn't drastically different enough to justify the price tag either.

Oh I agree with you fully. If magnaflow made a full stainless, well engineered, cat-back system I would have been the first to buy it. I have had their systems on a trans am and a tacoma and loved it. However the only system I could find was borla. I had a borla cat-back installed on a 2005 GTO and I think it was actually quieter than stock. The tone wasn't drastically different enough to justify the price tag either.

Do you know of any other cat back systems out there for the 100 series besides the Borla? I have been looking and not sure which way to go. I have a few leaks that need attention. My header gaskets were replaced about 10k ago. Im thinking of replacing everything from the cat back. Does anybody know if there is any real advantage to doing this?

I have heard Borla and Doug Thorley. I cannot find the DT for sale anywhere.

Do you know of any other cat back systems out there for the 100 series besides the Borla? I have been looking and not sure which way to go. I have a few leaks that need attention. My header gaskets were replaced about 10k ago. Im thinking of replacing everything from the cat back. Does anybody know if there is any real advantage to doing this?

But as @LateOnTheBrakes said, out of stock everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom